Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aimbot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aimbot

    Let's say I have a friend who has written an aimbot, at what point would it be considered cheating? Would just showing guides (angles) to other ships be ok? What about showing path of ones own bullet before shooting? Or would the bot have to influence the shot (as in correct the angle and then fire) to be considered cheating? There are those who use custom gfx for a slight advantage (big bullets, bomb halo, etc...) and guides are not too different. Again, all HYPOTHETICAL and asking for a friend who doesnt participate in said leagues that it would benefit.

  • #2
    any of that

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd say anything that isn't a custom graphic should be illegal. I've seen some crazy custom graphics and even tried some myself years back trying to get an edge. An example was one graphic this guy on Paladen made by the name of Spacely--filled the screen with lines in various colors as well as distance indicators to show you R1, R2, R3, R4 and the accuracy you lost trying to peg people as the range increased. Was great in theory. All you had to do was line up someone to one of the lines and fire. Problem arises when you find more than one opponent on screen or encounter someone who likes to rush. After 24 hours I uninstalled it. I guess if I wanted to cheat 1v1 opponents that would probably work but outside of 1v1 it was way too distracting.

      Those type of graphics are OK by me personally. Pretty sure Lasenza uses something very similar. I'm VERY much against anything that uses code to help the player ie. corrective shooting. That should be super illegal in my opinion. I'd be down for making custom graphics illegal as well but I thought years back when I talked to staff about it they said it's basically impossible to counter or something like that. I just prefer the old school way of playing. I don't even bother with customs anymore since the Steam client automatically includes big bullets which was usually what I'd rock anyways (well that and Star Wars ships/sound fx).

      That's my 2C. Bottom line. Aimbots/code to help players = ban forever lol Custom graphics = sketchy but OK.

      -IxaDor
      Peru> Ixador WB God Strikes again!

      Comment


      • #4
        im pretty sure you can do whatever you want as long as youre not messing with the client itself or doctoring your packets and stuff


        1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

        Comment


        • #5
          an aimbot is obviously cheating. bypassing the res cap is cheating. don't do that.

          nobody cares about custom graphics. most players use big bullets and a little red dot in front of their ship.

          burnt posted custom rock graphics that have a white square around them, so you're not getting clipped by the invisible edge on round rocks. porkjet has those bombs with circles around them.

          many players have tried aiming guides on the overlay or a long line in front of your ship for wb -- they don't really work because ships are moving. it's a non-issue.

          1:RaCka> the only two bald guys i would kiss on the forehead is buddha and tiny............

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
            nobody cares about custom graphics. most players use big bullets and a little red dot in front of their ship.
            It's crazy this is still used. I heard it went out of style. Made the red dot while working at a nonprofit and had nothing else better to do.

            many players have tried aiming guides on the overlay or a long line in front of your ship for wb -- they don't really work because ships are moving. it's a non-issue.
            Made one of these as well, but they really are worse than useless. One of the reasons this game has such a high skill cap is that movement affects shots and makes it difficult to predict where they'll land, meaning you have to rely on feel.


            I've seen the aimbot before. It's quite obvious when it's being used, just as it's easy to notice on Counter-Strike, etc. (I've used those first-hand and have the VAC ban to prove it! Only did it about a month, and to be clear, I could still consistently 2:1 to 3:1 without using anything ... not even AWP whoring. M4, AK and Scout for days. Ah, those were the days, back when I had wrists. Shoutouts to the RSI crew.)



            If you have a copy of an aimbot and are interested in finding out what a netban is, you're welcome to give it a go in TW!
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by qan View Post
              Made one of these as well, but they really are worse than useless. One of the reasons this game has such a high skill cap is that movement affects shots and makes it difficult to predict where they'll land, meaning you have to rely on feel.
              I disagree completely. Yes, they are useless without already having skill, but they're far from useless for someone who is already good. I wont name names, because I don't have proof beyond hearsay, but one specific player comes to mind who was/is known to be one of the best 1v1 players in TW history due to ridiculous aim, and he absolutely uses it. Having a line go from your ship to theirs is the same type of cheating as using a line in those online pool/billiards games, where you can see exactly where the ball will end up. Yes, people move in this game, so it's not as straightforward, but it's no joke either. Aim compensation with those things aren't difficult. It provides a big enough edge for that specific player that he would go from a top rated, carry player in leagues while using it, to a negative rec every game player without it.

              You tell me if that's cheating or not. I say it is, because it's not widely spread like the red dot graphics. It is not an equal playing field due to that, which in my book makes it 100% cheating.

              Comment


              • #8
                im curious, how does some of this stuff work? i thought what i said was true, the only effective ways to cheat is to mess with the client itself or doctor your packets. im pretty computer dumb


                1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                  I disagree completely. Yes, they are useless without already having skill, but they're far from useless for someone who is already good. I wont name names, because I don't have proof beyond hearsay, but one specific player comes to mind who was/is known to be one of the best 1v1 players in TW history due to ridiculous aim, and he absolutely uses it. Having a line go from your ship to theirs is the same type of cheating as using a line in those online pool/billiards games, where you can see exactly where the ball will end up. Yes, people move in this game, so it's not as straightforward, but it's no joke either. Aim compensation with those things aren't difficult. It provides a big enough edge for that specific player that he would go from a top rated, carry player in leagues while using it, to a negative rec every game player without it.
                  Interesting. Is this player using a screen overlay, ship replacement graphics or an actual program? If it's either of the first two I'd be interested to know which he uses and how it's helped. From what I could see of using (and unsuccessfully making) those, they were just a big distraction. Especially the ship line graphics were quite bad IMO, as they force the name far away from the player and make it more difficult to distinguish enemies from freqmates except by radar. You might get used to it, though.
                  "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                  -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I do not feel that screen overlay or ship replacement graphics help too much. I have attempted making some in the past as well and came to the same conclusion as qan with them being more of a distraction than anything else, but I suppose you can get used to it. The most commonly used "assist tool" which qan made is the red dots in front of ships and I never liked those at all. In fact they ruin my immersion.

                    Having lines come out as an extension of your ship was particularly distracting to the point where it was borderline unplayable. I even made bombs in the past that displayed approximately how much damage they would deal in a radius, but that was stupid as well as you should have a feel for it from experience alone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've never tried it, so I can't say how well it works. I just know of one specific player that uses an overlay. Maybe it doesn't matter, idk, I just thought it was telling that they'd go from hero to zero without it. Maybe its a self-imposed crutch then.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, so it's an overlay. I wonder if it's mine! If so he'd probably be the only guy who'd ever used it. The idea isn't particularly novel, though, and many people made one at some point.

                        I think one that simply has the points marked at the edge of the screen would possibly be useful. Maybe at one or two points in between as well. The smallest possible marks. Might be worth trying. It's a lot easier to make in the age of advanced Photoshop.
                        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          someone hook me up will see if they actually work and make me 7*

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            qan is it possible we can get show players energy? that's the only advantage for everyone I can see to help new players out, its something metalgear ctf used in their zone for every occasion, a setting you can turn on our off in any zone, but why again does trenchwars not have it on? Testtube used it in mgctf for years, and it never took away from competition in leagues, only added more depth and usefulness as another strategic layer of energy managment, and judging how to react in intense matches, specially for newplayers.
                            2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Beast View Post
                              qan is it possible we can get show players energy? that's the only advantage for everyone I can see to help new players out, its something metalgear ctf used in their zone for every occasion, a setting you can turn on our off in any zone, but why again does trenchwars not have it on? Testtube used it in mgctf for years, and it never took away from competition in leagues, only added more depth and usefulness as another strategic layer of energy managment, and judging how to react in intense matches, specially for newplayers.
                              I can't actually recall if this is possible without using the energy password or *energy on our version of the server. From a quick look there's no easy way to do it with subgame2. The simple method might be via ASSS. Turban might know a bit more.
                              "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                              -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X