Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWChat Android App is back with a re-release!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWChat Android App is back with a re-release!

Hey all. Hope everyone is safe and well given what's happening in the world.

Over time there has been requests to update the TWChat Android app to well...basically work. With the numerous changes to Android's SDK, the app pretty much became useless in its current state. I decided to dedicate some time to it to get it back in a working state and make some small, functional updates. The app has now been re-released on the Google Play Store and is available for you to download.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, a few years ago we released an Android App that allows you to connect to the zone and chat. It kind of mimicks what you'd see when you do ALT+TAB in the Continuum client. The app has been updated to support the latest Android devices.

Version 2.0.0:
    - The app will now connect to server.trenchwars.org instead of a hard-coded IP address
    - External storage will be utilized first before internal when saving maps
    - Changed some of the error messages to be more descriptive of what the issue may be if you can't connect
    - Removed the need for unneccessary permissions
    - Fixed a scenario where the local device IP would sometimes not resolve, causing a connection error

There were a substantial amount of changes I made to make it work so hopefully you can connect without any issues.

How do I signup?
    Login SSCU Trench Wars and send a Private Message to TW-Chat with !signup. You'll then be able to login using the app.

What permissions does the Android App use?
    All it's requesting is access to the internet and to determine the current network state

What data does the Android App use?
    Maps have to be downloaded as part of a security checksum for the game. The maps will be downloaded to external storage if available. If you use the File Manager app on your device and do a search for 'Subspace', you'll see the maps. If you delete the maps, they'll be re-downloaded when you next access the arena.

Can I connect to other zones?
    Not yet but if this becomes requested then I can work with the other zone sysops.

What about security?
    None of your data is sent externally from the game. Your login details are sent directly to the game to connect and that's it.

I have an issue logging in, what do I do?
    Tag me in on a forum post here or in the Subspace Continuum Discord and I'll try and help. I've created another version of the app that has logging enabled so I can send you this to install and capture some logs to try and determine what's happening.

I've found a bug, where do I report it?
    Please PM RoboHelp with !bug and make sure to include TWChat in your comment

Is there going to be more features?
    I'm not sure. I don't think there were a lot of installs of this app so if it's not that useful, probably not.

Where is the iOS version?
    I wish this was easy. The Android App was simplier because the source code of connecting to the game was already there in Java (think our bot core). It'd take a lot of effort to make it work for iOS. If the app is popular, I can check this out again.

I'm sold. Where can I download it?
    Here you go! https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...trenchwarschat

Auto-signup is enabled (meaning you don't need to ask staff to add you). This may be disabled if there's issues.

Enjoy!

Dezmond

No iOS?

Comment

Originally posted by ixt View Post
      No iOS?
      iOS would take a lot of work like I mentioned because our source files for connecting like we do are Java based which means it's not something that can be plugged into iOS without a complete re-write. It'd take a lot of work and given the on-going project with QuantumSpace, I'm not sure if it's worth also spending a ton of time doing an iOS client. Sorry!

Comment

Big work Dez, congrats and thanks!
        TWLD 2016 Champion
        TWDTD champion x 3
        Potenza 4 LIFE

Comment

Doesnt work for me

It says network socket is broken
          Best warbird to ever enter trenchwars

Comment

Originally posted by Vys View Post
            Doesnt work for me

It says network socket is broken
            Didn't look like you were registered - I've added you now so give it a go

Comment

Good job, it sounds like a lot of work.
              thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

hi dezmond
                JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

ty dezmond your brain is very valuable
                  2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

Comment

This is awesome.
                    Can we get it so it hooks upto to twl and twd? I want to receive calendar invites to TWL matches so I know when I have a game scheduled.
                    And I would like push notifications for when my squad is just about to TWD.
                    Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                    TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

Originally posted by Ardour View Post
                      This is awesome.
                      Can we get it so it hooks upto to twl and twd? I want to receive calendar invites to TWL matches so I know when I have a game scheduled.
                      And I would like push notifications for when my squad is just about to TWD.
                      That would be awesome! However. If it's going to take a lot of work to code that, I can pass on it for now. Don't want to make more work than there is already right now.

Oh and THANK YOU for this Dezmond. Love you bro! Stoked your back helping us out

Comment

Originally posted by the_paul View Post
                        hi dezmond
                        Miss our LoL days...

Thanks all for the comments!

Ardour - Good question. I've been interested in doing something like this for a while. I know some of the team has been working on APIs so will look to see if we have enough data that we could maybe create an app like this. Don't want to promise something I can't deliver so no promises!

Grasps Thanks man! Good to be back!

Comment

So its working for me but there is an issue. It doesn't Auto-scroll..... so you always have to swipe up to get to messages or chat screen updates... that blows.

Comment

Working...
                          X