No announcement yet.

Warbirds and Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was thinking about making a new thread to praise this excellent post, but then i figured id just be flamed by the newbs in warbirds.

the other week i realized that i was friggen bored of getting killed in a warbird by my own mistakes. i realized that id never be the best, because i simply did not want to put the time in to perfect my aim and evasion, it just isnt worth it. thats when i realized that spider was where the $ is.

i have the most respect for spider pilots, i never say ns to any wb's cause i know its a shot that a very hgh percentage of people could have made with the right ammount of luck. when i see a spider take out a warbird that has full energy, i think "now that was a nice kill."

spider is the ship where u can tell who the ez's and the good people are right away. in a warbid u cant because u will get lucky killing people and they will get lucky killing u, in spiders i can see how they fight me, if they know how to fight me or not. doing this, i realized that trench wars players really arent very good, at least the ones in the pubs. they always make the same fatal mistake... the best a newb can do against a good spider is a double kill (the exception to that is if they are hunting the spider and put it on first priority to kill. they will wait until your back is turned and you are fighting someone else, and your rotation speed just wont be enough. on the other hand, many of them you can still own even though they hunt you.)

one thing i love is the fact that with a spider, the key is deterrance, not evasion. I hate the recharge time in a warbird, where your are just waiting for your opponent to give you something to dodge. the spider is always in the game, always ready to kill.

unfortunately, easiness is not the only thing a spider can tell with most kills. it is badly affected by lag, and dont try to prove me wrong unless u have played a lot of spider yourself. even ships with pings in the 100's can have rather annoying lag shields, and sometimes killing someone is just impossible cause the shots dont register. it seemed like when i was a warbird it would take about 4 (sometimes 3!) shots to kill me at about full energy. as a spider, i rarely see a fully charged warbird die with 4 shots. some will take a shot at me and within the second i will hit them with 2 bullets and they wont die, and this happens quite often, it has made me want to quit i got so frusterated.

so i dont do the warbird thing anymore in pubs. spider, a little jav, terr if its badly needed, a tiny bit a lanc, a tiny bit of weasle to toy with people. people who die to spiders call the spiders lame, really i think the warbirds are more so, they are a great ship to spawn with, and people utilize that strength quite often. their bullets are too fast for many repels, their thrust is incredibly efficient, and their shots rarely lag, and when they do you get "fucking laggot"... when i get called a laggot after i eat a shot (even tho EVERYONE regardless of ping eats a shot by lag once in a while) i say cool, i deserve some lag too once in a while.

btw,
    honestly... if you can kill a wb in a honest fight (by honest I mean not sneaking up on him from behind when his energy is low) as a spider I give you mad props.
    :P i one on oned a wb yesterday and won, 5-3. it was my first spider vs. wb duel cause i hate it when people call luck when they get killed so i had to challenge it, the person accepted.

count me in for that squad under some name.
    Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
    apt>yes u can wtf
    apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
    apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
    apt>so i dont miss the toilet
    Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
    apt>na
    apt>ill show you pictures
    apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

A spider will easily whoop a wb in base

It tips the other way outside. Unless the wb is a total newbie the spider will have trouble getting the kill.

The wb is and always will be the "newbie ship." Half of TW doesn't know how to change ships and therefore will stay in that one ship until the day they get buried in their newbie graves. Not to mention it's freaking easy to kill every other ship w/o breaking a sweat in a wb... outside of base, that is.
      'vet' is the new 'newb'.
      sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

You know what skilless people call skill?

Luck.
        Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

My how different TW would have been if the ("default") Warbird was given the Terrier settings and the Terrier Warbird settings...

Comment

Well said gophar.

I don't agree about the wb good in the outside because there are alot of people out there usually trying to have some fun and most of the time you will get double teamed by ships ALOT.
            I think the spider can do just as good as the wb outside.
            Its all about skill
            Last edited by Sir Gaunt; 09-19-2002, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Oh, I completely admit to being a newbie. I have no right to even start a squad. That I'll save till when I've become good at the game.

What I'm looking at is the RAW potential of a spider. Rapid fire shots. It has the strength that is the weakness of the warbird. No I don't REALLY think the WB sucks, but it looks as though a good player should be able to beat a another good player spider to warbird.

Sorry, I forget who posted the fact that spiders have a slower rotation, and if its true, then yes that would be a disadvantage.

The only point I'm trying to make is, since the WB has huge energy consumption for its shot, that makes it weak against the quick firing spider. Since WB is the popular ship, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the spider since it would have an upper hand against it?

Prove me wrong. Only that one person, who mentioned the slow rotation actually gave me reasons. So thank you for that.

And no, I don't give a crap about all you anti-newbie people. You have nothing that newbies won't be able to replicate, if they put heavy time into it.
              - Kuldace

Comment

Spider also flies slower, does not have the radar shot capabilities, can't kill unless really up close (not edge of screen) and others. These restrictions of course assume minimal skill on both sides.
                Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

well actually the warbird consumes relatively little energy per shot and its recharge rate is the best of them all, getting up to 1500 energy in about 3 and a half or 4 seconds. spider gets to 1400 a little slower. the spider may have slow rotation speed, but just making sure that you utilize something like the middle bar can make up for the lack of speed and prevent people from coming up behind.

i do take a whole bunch of radar shots with the spider if i know that i am being targeted, it is not really to kill they ship but rather to hold off the attack so i can get closer without getting shot at. other times if i see a group of blue dots i will fire a line while accelerating so the line condenses and it can do the trick sometimes. i find that with a smaller screen res of 1024 i have a more difficult time dodging than people with 1280 and i really hate dodging anyway cause in my case, when the time comes that i have to dodge it often means death, and warbirds, although the better dodge, must dodge more often. in other words im not particularly good at it and i like to be on the offensive all the time.

and although u are a newbie to the game, u do have the right to make a squad, and it really doesnt even take to long to become a decent trench player. the coolest thing is when a spider calls for a spider frequency and a couple people join, so as a team they can maybe hold the flag room for a few seconds and attract a few more people. once you have about 5 teamworking spiders on their own freq with a terr, u will start owning and people will come in cause they cant even get up the tunnel. a squad that did that to pubs all the time would be famous like madcowz, those lame levterrs
                  Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                  apt>yes u can wtf
                  apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                  apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                  apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                  Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                  apt>na
                  apt>ill show you pictures
                  apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Re: Warbirds and Spiders

Originally posted by Kuldace
                    Know what? Warbirds stink. They are the ultimate newbie ship because if you can land ONE shot, you get a kill. If you actually have the skill to dodge, manuever and aim, then it takes away the usefulness of the warbird.
                    I didn't bother reading anyone else's post because I couldn't wait to comment so forgive me if I'm redundant.

Im guess you fly around the base entrance in pub shooting other ships as they fly by and around. How you call the warbird a "newbie" ship because it has a one hit kill is rediculous. Have you ever tried ship number 7 or the "Lancaster"? Or what about the Yellow ship with the red bombs that bounce once and explode? You have to press tab to fire bombs, its called "Javelin". Or if you're in ship, commonly called the "Levi" if you press control OR tab and manage to strike the ship of a fellow on another "frequency" you will kill them with one hit as well, oddly enough you can shoot a bomb and kill those on the same frequency if it hits an obstacle and explodes near them. The 8th ship, the "Shark" also has bombs and mines that kill in one hit. Also the "Weasel" conveniently located in the number 6 slot will also kill an opponent in one kill. Have we covered all the ships? Let's see... 1,2,3, oh yes 4! The loveable "Terrier"! It doesn't have a one hit kill, perhaps it's the ship for you? Oh wait... it has a one hit kill if you press shift and delete at the same time. Wow so it seems EVERY ship in TW is a newbie ship because they have a way to kill in one hit... EXCEPT the spider! You may be onto something!

My point is, newbies shouldn't be making calls on which ships are "newbie" ships and which aren't. You'll find this out once you get 36 hours.
                    Last edited by Mayo Inc.; 09-19-2002, 10:44 PM.
                    Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Originally posted by Blast
                      Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
                      2: DaNuMbA1OrGaZmO> virginia is where all faggots are from that wear a condum

Overwhelm> Maisoul used to be a loser
                      Overwhelm> then he joined paladen and became leet ;)

Comment

Seriously. I don't think Lancasters are lame, but I can admit they're THE n00b ship. (Even though they RUIN your aim when you start. Dont n00b and Lanc. Ever).

I did play my first privbasing game and even though I sucked ass, I learned one thing. No one plays warbirds. They all play spiders. And a jav. *A* jav. That and the terr and 2 sharks.

But I wouldn't call the warbird a newb ship. No, not at all. Most priv players probably play wbs in pubs. For dueling and such (even though spids do admittingly take more skill in dueling). But the spider fits the mutlipurpose of basing alot better. They can fight 1 on 1 with a warbird inside and outside of the base(atleast), unlike javs, which are useful in holding base. Once in the main base, wbs aren't all that effective. They fire only once and leave gaps inbetween shots (unlike javs who can trickshot but aren't great at fighting in open spaces). A spider can fill the enterence with bullets. Several spiders can fill it with ALOT of bullets. And even if you did have a team of javs instead and your terr got in, the TKing would be astonishing (5 javs in a base is NOT good).

Spiders are better at advanced level of competitive play, yes. But that doesn't make the warbird a n00b ship. It just makes spider an Advanced ship. The WB is the standard for pub play and really should be, due to the fact its how TW was designed to be played. When playing competively you play to win and grab any advantage you can. Most fighting game players have two main characters they use. a casual character and a competitve character. The casual character usually is more fun and fits more into how the game was invision, usually can do alot of respectable moves/combos/flashy things. In competitive play you grab the guy with the most advantages. Every cheap trick, little advantage and dasterdly but high prioraty attack must be used.

Playing chess for fun and chess for fun are two radically different concepts. Competitve chess lacks the fine and clever combinations of a fun game, but while the fun game might be more fun, it will loss to competitive tactics.

And like all cheap tactics you'll see spiders called cheap in pub occasionally, mostly by players who don't know any better. Most people don't appreciate advanced play till they experience it.

(now that was alot longer then needed.....)

Comment

lol Advanced level of play...

I'd like to quote the great poet Taylor Mali before continuing...

"Let me break it down for you so you know what I say is true..."

Note: Each ship has its own special features. Calling one a "newbie" ship is just making up an excuse. I'm hardly anywhere near one of the good players in TW, but I can at least aim bullets. If you're not competent enough to aim, shoot, and dodge, then that's your problem and not the ship settings.

Your arguments all flow around the fact that you can blindly shoot "red dots o' fury" at the oncoming ship and cripple them. Note: That is one of the spiders ADVANTAGES. I could easily blow by a spider with the wb's speed and let him shoot all day, then kill him. That's like saying a thouroughbread horse is inferior to a Clydesdale because the thouroughbread takes a qualified rider to make it useful.

If you can't aim in TW, you're gonna blow ass in any other zone. If you can't even master (or at least be competent with) the "newbie ship," then what does that say about your level of skill? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Don't comment on skill level unless you got the shit in your britches to back it up.
                          Reclusion
                          "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

trithfully most ships are balanced out. its a matter of using the ships advantages to another ships disadvantages.

except for the levi...its useless and the person using it deserves to be spawned till the change ships.
                            To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                            brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

I cannot believe you people actually believe a spider can BEAT a wb... I promise I will utterly rape almost any spider that duels me outside of base OR inside. END OF ARGUEMENT.
                              Grime> i want a cigarette now :(
                              aussie chi> i'll share one with you
                              Grime> no, bad Grime, bad
                              aussie chi> then we can go have hot sex!

Comment

I just want to let you all know.. that lev's are the best ship. I'm sorry. I know taht you are all goign to tell me I'm stupid... but... LOOK HOW BLOODY CUTE THEY ARE!

No, ok... I agree... spiders are better than WB coz.. well .. they have more bullets, and warbirds are kind of a newbie ship.. but I still use it. So, I guess that is implying that I'm a newbie!
                                Think about it though... would you rather have a ship that shoots heaps of bullets? Or a ship that shoots one and recharges slowly?

The only thing wrong with spiders is that they are bloody annoying....
                                Sina Olet Sootti :)

Comment

Working...
                                X