Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next League Proposition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Vehicle View Post
    Cash draft where players are assigned a dollar value and caps have a spending limit.

    Turn off TWD and do a top-player league. Basically your TWD borrow rating just way more serious and without any squads and a cap on the amount of same-squad players (because otherwise it'll just be Pandora vs Rapid league). To be extra sneaky, as soon as you announce the league freeze TWD rosters and abide by them regardless of if players ?squadleave or whatever to avoid the cap.

    Draft league where caps are forced to draft a 6* in round 1 a 7* in round 2 an 8* in round 3 and then it would snake back.

    Blind pick league: players sign up and then a live "draft" happens where squads are formed using a random number generator. Some sort of collective smoothing of the rosters to assure balance would take place and then the captains would choose which team they want. You could allow the last couple picks to steal/trade players from other rosters.

    I dunno. I just brainstormed for a few minutes and there's some ideas. I never said they were good.
    One thing has held true through all of time in spaceship land, no idea that is far from the standard leagues would ever make it. Every off season someone comes up with “unique” or “creative” ideas but realistically would never work. It’s a waste of time discussing anything that completely reworks the existing leagues.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by afghan View Post

      One thing has held true through all of time in spaceship land, no idea that is far from the standard leagues would ever make it. Every off season someone comes up with “unique” or “creative” ideas but realistically would never work. It’s a waste of time discussing anything that completely reworks the existing leagues.
      I agree with you. I was just stoned and posting weird league ideas.

      But there is an issue in that people are afraid of having an offseason now, thinking that activity will die (it might). So there's a lot more TWDT season's being consecutively run then ever before. At least from what I remember.
      Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
      Message has been sent to online moderators
      2:BLeeN> veh yes
      (Overstrand)>no
      2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
      2:BLeeN> ok then no
      :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
      (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

      Comment


      • #18
        Getting hard to keep track of these, just posted in another thread. But in the spirit of posting weird ideas I propose a generational cup with no draft and players sorted into teams based on when they began playing the game

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm a bit out of touch with what's happened over the last couple years so forgive me if this is already happening but I always liked "Manager" aspect of TWL. Basically picking players based on their "value" in a particular division and how they are expected to perform against a particular opponent each week, then having their "value" change accordingly. Basically Fantasy Spaceships. Could also make an over/under on each game. Might not even be a terrible idea to incorporate at least part of this into twd to work out the bugs.
          1:wbm> i squint when im angry

          Originally posted by mtine
          Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by LF View Post
            I'm a bit out of touch with what's happened over the last couple years so forgive me if this is already happening but I always liked "Manager" aspect of TWL. Basically picking players based on their "value" in a particular division and how they are expected to perform against a particular opponent each week, then having their "value" change accordingly. Basically Fantasy Spaceships. Could also make an over/under on each game. Might not even be a terrible idea to incorporate at least part of this into twd to work out the bugs.
            This existed a long time ago. TWLM. I forget who ran it but it's long dead.
            Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
            Message has been sent to online moderators
            2:BLeeN> veh yes
            (Overstrand)>no
            2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
            2:BLeeN> ok then no
            :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
            (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Vehicle View Post

              This existed a long time ago. TWLM. I forget who ran it but it's long dead.
              I think it was arobas or ardour? I think it started with an A anyways. It was fun but the site was busted even after we manually input values for every player.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

              Comment


              • #22
                It was Ardour who ran TWLM I'm pretty sure. I thought I remembered seeing something on forums where he was gauging interest on fixing the website fairly recently, but it didn't gain much traction. TWLM was pretty fun though
                JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it



                turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

                Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by the_paul View Post
                  It was Ardour who ran TWLM I'm pretty sure. I thought I remembered seeing something on forums where he was gauging interest on fixing the website fairly recently, but it didn't gain much traction. TWLM was pretty fun though
                  Yeah this is all true. Would be awesome to see Ardour bring TWLM back.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Yea it was me... Arobas was the genius in various other developments though. The only thing I did was TWLM for a few seasons and the first creator was Anzu. The reason why I loved TWLM was because then every player had a value and it allowed you to compare yourself to anyone else and know that it was only based on statistics and a formula. Tweaking the formula and applying it to every match played should be the only thing that's done. Leave opinion values in twdt! The old TWLM was functional and would have worked for future seasons but it was linked to TWD. You also had to know how to run a few SQL queries and I did leave a manual on how to run TWLM in future... but I admit, it wasn't very polished to be passed on and ran by someone else.

                    I did want access to the data and still do to see what I could do. I want to export the twl data and twlm data so I could fully play around with possibilities on my own server and so I don't damage anything. There is a problem in TWLM that the current algorithm gives a player more of a chance you will go up in value than down so I was contemplating adding a deprecation to every players value... like -$1 for every round not participated in and +$1 for any players lower than $300 until they returned to the base $300 value. But I would want to back date that calculation and apply it to every round of every season. That was just an idea mind.

                    I also contemplated how I could bring back the stock market idea that I once did one season where you bought stocks of squads... it was a bit pants and not representative of how a real stock market works at all and I think I only had it run one season... but I am now thinking that it would be pretty cool if you could invest in players by buying shares as another extension to TWLM and thought it would be so easy to have it run live during a match while it is being played. Not fully fleshed out how I would make that work and be balanced...

                    Anyhow, would still like access to the data so I could work on this in spare time as a passion project. I just can't fully commit and give you an agreed project finish date or anything due to lack of available free time.

                    Back to Vehicles stoner thoughts which I was enjoying... I always thought it would be cool to see a league in which players had values and captains had cash to purchase players. Players had to be bought/traded and sign contracts. So similar to how football works. One problem I couldn't figure out was that if you didn't want to play for a team anymore the incentive of losing your imaginary salary wasn't much of a punishment to keep you playing for a given team so wasn't sure how to make players stay or even show for someone they dislike... Maybe would work more in a TWDT type league if players didn't turn up they would receive match bans or something for the next season.
                    ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

                    TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                    TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

                    TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      At the moment I'm leaning towards a no star cap TWDT or something like the auction league that Claushouse described here.

                      Due to the success of the current TWDT, and the general activity of the zone, I think we could support at least 10 teams again, possibly more depending on signups. This, combined with the draft or auction mechanics, would leave lines balanced while hopefully not sacrificing the high level of competition weve enjoyed for the past few leagues nor excluding potential lower tier players from getting their shot to impress.

                      Any thoughts on way or another? The no-star-cap would be easier to run, but the auction league would at least be more interesting.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        A no-star cap TWDT might as well be a TWL in my opinion. I get that you still have to draft a team but it seems kind of boring in terms of drafting. Just like make your top 50 and draft accordingly. If that's the league, I volunteer to cap.

                        I think a fantasy draft with dollar values is a good idea. No star cap, just cash cap and then no limits on trading.

                        Also, qan give Ardour access to this database please. He seems like he wants to try it.
                        Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                        Message has been sent to online moderators
                        2:BLeeN> veh yes
                        (Overstrand)>no
                        2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                        2:BLeeN> ok then no
                        :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                        (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I really really like the Hybrid TWL & TWDT model. When I log on to play ss, im hoping to play with people I like, and im hoping for competitive games. I enjoy competition, and shooting spaceships with everyone has been a great re-addition to my life partly because of that.

                          Alternatively, I like the idea of a real draft league. i see so many capable players sitting in spec because there simply isnt enough slots for everyone to play. It makes poorly rated players even harder to play. I would really be interested in seeing what 1.5x teams looks like. Even double. I was pushing for more teams before not just because I was fking desperate 2 cap, but also because I genuinely felt like we had enough. Unplayable players should be playable in TWDT. Its what makes strategy in choosing teams interesting, and we do have enough non idiots who can cap diff leagues.

                          thanks 4 pushing thix
                          1:Engineers> am top spider on squad call me avatar eng
                          1:Cres> ye we only had to axe 10 ppl for it

                          Sweetie4life

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by WillBy View Post
                            At the moment I'm leaning towards a no star cap TWDT or something like the auction league that Claushouse described here.

                            Due to the success of the current TWDT, and the general activity of the zone, I think we could support at least 10 teams again, possibly more depending on signups. This, combined with the draft or auction mechanics, would leave lines balanced while hopefully not sacrificing the high level of competition weve enjoyed for the past few leagues nor excluding potential lower tier players from getting their shot to impress.

                            Any thoughts on way or another? The no-star-cap would be easier to run, but the auction league would at least be more interesting.
                            After such a long season of dt, I'd prefer to play some kind of league where I can choose what team I play for so I can play with friends instead of another variation of a draft league. It's probably too soon for a TWL and should keep that league to once a year. The issue with an uncapped twdt is it would be very easy for some players to stack specific divisions and anybody who isn't a 10* at something is at a massive disadvantage that's not even comparable to the disadvantage they have in the current dt format.

                            I've been thinking about copying a variation of hz's beer league where you can only field a lineup with 2 "vets" for wb and maybe 4 for base, which would be something like 9* and up players in a specific division and then you'd fill the rest of your roster with whoever you want from players below that. No restrictions to lineup aside from the cap of 2 9*. Would have to play with the #s and figure specifics out but wanted to gauge interest first before thinking about it too much. I think if we did something like this with separate rosters for base/jav/wb with tight restrictions on roster limit like 8 for wb/jav and 12 for base we could have a pretty high amount of teams. Could have a kind of sign up thread where we just make a list of players interested in playing and then any team can grab them if the player wants to join that team. It would basically be like twl but more casual without any powerhouse stacked teams and obviously called something else.
                            2:Best> i cant tell if missas missing teeth are from undercut knocking her out or her heroin addiction

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by beam View Post

                              After such a long season of dt, I'd prefer to play some kind of league where I can choose what team I play for so I can play with friends instead of another variation of a draft league. It's probably too soon for a TWL and should keep that league to once a year. The issue with an uncapped twdt is it would be very easy for some players to stack specific divisions and anybody who isn't a 10* at something is at a massive disadvantage that's not even comparable to the disadvantage they have in the current dt format.

                              I've been thinking about copying a variation of hz's beer league where you can only field a lineup with 2 "vets" for wb and maybe 4 for base, which would be something like 9* and up players in a specific division and then you'd fill the rest of your roster with whoever you want from players below that. No restrictions to lineup aside from the cap of 2 9*. Would have to play with the #s and figure specifics out but wanted to gauge interest first before thinking about it too much. I think if we did something like this with separate rosters for base/jav/wb with tight restrictions on roster limit like 8 for wb/jav and 12 for base we could have a pretty high amount of teams. Could have a kind of sign up thread where we just make a list of players interested in playing and then any team can grab them if the player wants to join that team. It would basically be like twl but more casual without any powerhouse stacked teams and obviously called something else.
                              For clarity, what you're describing here is similar to what I'm describing but without a draft, right? Squad cores of 8-12 players who then choose whomever they want to play with come gametime as opposed to a preseason draft, and the players they would choose from would be lower * players for inclusivity?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X