Next League Proposition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next League Proposition

If we don't start coming up with ideas for the next league that we will lose zone activity as summer ends and people go back to work.

I'm about to just throw out some random thoughts, so bear with my lack of organization and scattered ideas. I personally cannot host the league, but happy to be involved in minor ways.

Hybrid TWL/TWDT: Perhaps each team can be built around a core of 5-8 players or a foundation of three captains: one warbird dueling captain, one basing captain, one javelin captain (or three basing captains, or three dueling captains; basically, whatever variation the "trio" decides). Maybe there can be a star cap for each "squad core"/"trio", putting a limit on "how good" each core could be according to star ratings.

No star caps: just squad cores/trios drafting the best teams they can to build around them. If there is a concern for losing the inclusivity of TWDT, perhaps there can be a mandate for particular * players to be added to every game (for example, requiring teams to add at least one 6-7* in dueling and at least one 6-7* in basing + at least one 7-8*).

More teams + smaller rosters: 12-16 teams, 12-20 players per roster, which is definitely feasible without star caps.

Weekday games: maybe 1 game for each league for 3 games on both Tuesday and Thursday nights (6 games per week); or maybe a "quota" of having to play 3-6 games in each league per week, which can be played them at your team's discretion. So for example, if two teams have enough to play, they can choose to play one of their required "quota" games.

Games scheduled by captains: there used to be an option on the TWL site where captains can suggest a time for a game and the opponent captain had an option to accept or reject that time offering for their scheduled game. Perhaps captains can use the website to choose to schedule their games by coordinating with the other captain for times that would be preferred for their players. Maybe manual scheduling would only be required for the qualifying league/regular season, and the more serious/competitive playoff/tournament could have standardized scheduling by the league operators.

Automated games: another idea is to have a TWD-style automated setup where teams can play each other as many times as they want throughout the week, but the automated/sporadic games would count for less toward standings. For example, two Tuesday night wins are equivalent to one Saturday afternoon win. The Tuesday and Thursday night games can be played on a rolling basis, whereas the Saturday games will be scheduled and more "serious" (and hence "worth" more per win). One downside of this would be that it would hurt inactive teams, as they would play less and accumulate less "wins", but again some sort of quota can be put in place so that teams are incentivized to play throughout the week (eg, must play at minimum 6 weekday aka "less important" games per week). Since the weekdays would be less important, borrows could be considered. Although perhaps borrowed games would not count toward standings. Another idea is to allow for automated games, but captains can choose whether a game is "ranked" or "unranked". Alternatively, we can keep things simple and just run another standard TWDT, but have TWDT rosters recognizable by TWD bots so that teams can play and practice with each other and against one another throughout the week with greater ease.

Reinstate TWD as a qualifying league for some sort of tournament: run TWD for 1-2 months, lock rosters after 1 month, teams with the best records on standings after 2 months qualify to participate in the tournament. For a league like this, I'm all for increasing the number of unimportant weekly games/decreasing the number of important regular season games to promote activity and to allow worse players a chance at playing (captains may be more inclined to give newbies playing time if the games are universally considered less important and/or count for less). Then, at the end of 1-2 months of weekly games, there is a playoff (with or without qualifications) and/or a bracket-based tournament to decide the champion.

Take-home proposals:
    • Hybrid TWL/TWDT with squad cores of 5-8 players or trios of three players acting as a unified captain, who then draft a full team
    • Possibility for a mild star cap for the "squad core" or "trio" to limit abusive stacking
    • Possibility for removal of star caps to increase possible number of teams (12-16, smaller rosters), activity, and competitiveness of the league
    • Possibility for requiring teams to add lower * players (for example, teams required to add at least one 6-7* per dueling game).
    • Possibility for games to be scheduled by captains on a week-by-week basis
    • Possibility for regular season games to be played on a rolling basis (similar to TWD, with automated games when both teams have enough players)
    • Possibility for automated weekday games or scrimmages
    • Possibility for borrowing in "less important" games
    • Possibility for a playoff (with or without qualifications) and/or a bracket-based tournament to decide the champion
    • Possibility for differential value of wins (less valuable wins during the week, more valuable wins on the weekend)
    • Possibility of a qualifying league to promote activity
    Last edited by Pressure; 09-16-2020, 02:51 PM.

Posted this in Dwopple's thread and got zero traffic. Hoping to get some more discussion going. With TWDT regular season coming to an end in two weeks, if we don't announce another league soon I fear we will lose a good portion of players who are currently active (especially those players on teams that don't make TWDT playoffs).

I'll keep editing/updating the original post as I get more feedback.
    Last edited by Pressure; 09-16-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I sort of skimmed, but weekday games are a great idea to me. I know that's not the same for others, but I can't justify leaving my family hanging for hours on end every Sunday while I play spaceships.

Not that anyone wants me on their team or gives a fuck. So I suppose just move on. But the weekday games thing is something I wished was happening for a long time.
      7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
      Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
      TWLJ Champion Season 11
      TWLB All-Star Season 10
      Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

the fuk is wrong w/ twdt how it is now with 1 ciptin per team?

i vote 4 anothir twdt or twl

sry i didnt rly read your whole post aftir u say a core of 3-5 ciptins, wud rathir jus vs normal twdt and add an extra team. its gr8. or twl so ripitish cud fingir

Comment

Originally posted by viop11 View Post
          the fuk is wrong w/ twdt how it is now with 1 ciptin per team?

i vote 4 anothir twdt or twl

sry i didnt rly read your whole post aftir u say a core of 3-5 ciptins, wud rathir jus vs normal twdt and add an extra team. its gr8. or twl so ripitish cud fingir
          TWL was already run this year and I've heard people are averse to having two TWLs in one year.

TWDT is currently very successful, and I am all for another TWDT. However, not everyone else is, so I am trying to come up with new ideas. A third "premier" league would also make the timing of each year's leagues more predictable and easier to organize, so that 1 TWL, 1 TWDT, and 1 TWX could run per year and we wouldn't need to find things to do to fill the long periods of time between TWLs and TWDTs.

Comment

I just want more games in EU timezone, don't rly give a fuck what format it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
              I just want more games in EU timezone, don't rly give a fuck what format it is.
              It goes without saying that weekday games earlier than 5pm EST would be near-impossible for most Americans. It seems since the pandemic began that the zone has been most active just around and after 5pm EST. Hardly any games take place before 3pm EST. Are there statistics showing the proportions of the zone's population that are American vs. European vs. other time zones?

If weekday games are implemented, this can of course be taken into account. Alternatively, a European-heavy squad core/trio can prioritize drafting other Europeans and when scheduling games with other captains can take time zones into consideration (for example, maybe they'll only want to schedule games for around 12pm EST on Saturday/Sunday).

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
                Are there statistics showing the proportions of the zone's population that are American vs. European vs. other time zones?
                Roughly 80% usa, 20% eu last time I checked.

Comment

i think twdt is as gud of a league as u cud get in terms of involvink efery1 and parity, could maybe add 1-2 more teams so not so many ppl haf 2 b binchwirmirs. if u wish 2 vs change of pace from twdt then allow twl! i think fall is gr8 time for twl pirsinilly!

Comment

I think realistically a twdt would need to be run again before having another twl. Twdt gets the most traffic and having a twl planned right after the next twdt would probably keep the most people around.

I would be for having a cap-free twdt. The downside to that is losing some of our low star and average players as they would be very unlikely to get play time unless there were 10+ teams.

Regardless of what’s next, I agree that it should be announced soon before we lose some of the player base that has recently come back.
                    In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                    twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                    twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Originally posted by afghan View Post
                      I would be for having a cap-free twdt. The downside to that is losing some of our low star and average players as they would be very unlikely to get play time unless there were 10+ teams
                      If there is a concern for losing the inclusivity of TWDT, perhaps there can be a mandate for particular * players to be added to every game (for example, requiring teams to add at least one 6-7* in dueling and at least one 6-7* + at least one 7-8* in basing).

Also, if there are more weekday games that count for less, captains may be less averse to adding less skilled players if the games are less important.

Comment

Another idea for spreading leagues out that would match a cap free league is another basing cup like we had before but with like 6-10 squads instead of 4.
                        In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                        twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                        twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Posting about it over here to keep conversations focused. It could be fun to do a sort of beginners league or something, where players would be forced out of their main ships/leagues. This would also give everyone a chance to prove their ratings- basers that randomly get assigned a 7* in warbird because they know how to spider can show us if those skills translate, something that can be taken into consideration next DT (hopefully without rating bumps unless they're truly deserved).

Whatever we choose the next league to be, it's important that some players step up as league ops. Nothing happens without someone in the drivers seat.

Comment

Cash draft where players are assigned a dollar value and caps have a spending limit.

Turn off TWD and do a top-player league. Basically your TWD borrow rating just way more serious and without any squads and a cap on the amount of same-squad players (because otherwise it'll just be Pandora vs Rapid league). To be extra sneaky, as soon as you announce the league freeze TWD rosters and abide by them regardless of if players ?squadleave or whatever to avoid the cap.

Draft league where caps are forced to draft a 6* in round 1 a 7* in round 2 an 8* in round 3 and then it would snake back.

Blind pick league: players sign up and then a live "draft" happens where squads are formed using a random number generator. Some sort of collective smoothing of the rosters to assure balance would take place and then the captains would choose which team they want. You could allow the last couple picks to steal/trade players from other rosters.

I dunno. I just brainstormed for a few minutes and there's some ideas. I never said they were good.
                            Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                            Message has been sent to online moderators
                            2:BLeeN> veh yes
                            (Overstrand)>no
                            2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                            2:BLeeN> ok then no
                            :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                            (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Ohhhh another fun one would be if it's a regular TWDT but all the 10 and 9 star players are assigned a random number. At the end of each week, 10-20 numbers are pulled and those players get swapped to different squads.
                              Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                              Message has been sent to online moderators
                              2:BLeeN> veh yes
                              (Overstrand)>no
                              2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                              2:BLeeN> ok then no
                              :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                              (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Working...
                              X