No announcement yet.

Ideas for population growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a decent tutorial system in pub, but it's text-heavy and not interactive. That alone was many, many hours of work. It does show all of the keys, though, in a roundabout way. There's also a "laptop" key config available in the Steam version due to the lack of some keys and the use of Fn keys on many laptops.

As far as funneling players into leagues, that's really a community issue. You could try to say it's a staff issue, but staff are just members of the community, and ones who already spend far too much time on it. There's a disconnect between vets who don't have much time except to log on to play games and newer players who could very likely be recruited and trained, but don't have anyone to mentor them, as most of us are adults. The community itself is too small to support some kind of matchmaking scheme using ratings, which is the way many multiplayer games these days get around that problem.

In many ways we're a museum piece, for better or for worse.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
      There's a decent tutorial system in pub, but it's text-heavy and not interactive. That alone was many, many hours of work. It does show all of the keys, though, in a roundabout way. There's also a "laptop" key config available in the Steam version due to the lack of some keys and the use of Fn keys on many laptops.

As far as funneling players into leagues, that's really a community issue. You could try to say it's a staff issue, but staff are just members of the community, and ones who already spend far too much time on it. There's a disconnect between vets who don't have much time except to log on to play games and newer players who could very likely be recruited and trained, but don't have anyone to mentor them, as most of us are adults. The community itself is too small to support some kind of matchmaking scheme using ratings, which is the way many multiplayer games these days get around that problem.

In many ways we're a museum piece, for better or for worse.
      I don't think it's a staff issue. I don't think it's an issue for anyone playing either. I think it's a system design issue. We don't have the ability to change this game in a way that would help fix some of these bigger issues. You can put in hundreds of hours of work (and you do) into making things better using bots and scripts and such, but without the source code and the ability to modify the client, what really can be done? I agree that most games use matchmaking these days, but there's no real way to make that work without some ridiculous juryrigging using bots or something that probably would take far more time than it would ever be worth.

In a very real sense, this game has no true hope of getting resurrected without someone making a 'Subspace/Continuum 2' so to speak. I'm not entirely sure why it hasn't happened yet either, considering 2d space games are still a pretty popular genre on places like Steam. There's obviously some kind of niche for it if this game is still alive after 25 years.
      RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
      RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Continuum 2 is called QuantumSpace made by POiD.

Comment

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool this is too funny and ironic...now you all care about the toxic chatting in publicly viewable chats...

yea, welcome to what i was doing as a mod in 2007. let me remind everyone here that LF joined staff literally as a result of getting mad at me banning his friends for being racist. Him and Cres were going fuckin mad. LF joined staff, then I got axed for enforcing the rules. Voila....that's what you get. All the "snowflake" staffers got axed or quit because of people like LF getting all fragile about "free speech" and being insanely short sighted.

how many players did we still have in 2007? hahahahahahaha this is great.

btw pedo alert...someone call the FBI...oh, too late.

Comment

you are a snowflake tho, there's a middle ground

Comment

i literally called myself a "snowflake" in my post dumbass.

speaking of which...isn't there some ignore list you can add me to on here? lel

Comment

13 years later you think your faggot ass is the reason the game population is declining?
                Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

? no... please re-read the post dumbass.

i said its because upper staff at the time cared too little and now too late.

i also said its ironic because the reason people are complaining is a lack of public text control, and thats the exact reason i was axed--for actually enforcing the toxic public chatting; and I specifically remember LF and Cres were two of them at the time even if he (LF) stays quiet now...

anyway, this was all due to an extreme lack of fore-site by upper staff at the time...

this game will never come back. one day it will be 20 people and fuckin Tower and Warcraft will probably be splitting the bill to keep it alive...

fuck you.

Comment

Can you guys do this elsewhere? There are relevant players having a relevant discussion here. Thanks

Comment

i have no issues with you and never had any, pressure..

also...cry about it. my usage is higher than yours and i started playing 2+ years before you.
                      Last edited by trancE tunes; 10-13-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trancE tunes View Post
                        i have no issues with you and never had any, pressure..

also...cry about it. my usage is higher than yours and i started playing 2+ years before you.
                        I don't have issues with you either. I have issues with a thread getting derailed pointlessly.

Comment

what we need is some serious advertising effort but it all goes back to how NO ONE in their right mind will endorse this game unless staff bites the bullet and starts issuing BANS for behavior that goes against the original subspace culture.

time is running out...time to get serious if this is going to happen at all.

when we stop seeing stuff like "the coagulation of blood is inferior in blacks compared to asians blah blah"...yea...from THAT all the way to "thats because jews.." or "disgusting <insert ethnicity etc here>"... or n word variations etc...its fucking common sense...THAT TYPE OF BEHAVIOR NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED AS SOON AS IT IS OBSERVED.

even if it has nothing to do with race but its just POINTLESS information being spammed in public chats i can assure you THAT IS A TURN OFF TO ANY NEWCOMERS. its fucking spam.

or even if two players are going at it back and forth and its hateful remarks towards each other...if it gets excessive TELL THEM TO PRIVATE MESSAGE EACH OTHER.

or even if TWO PLAYERS ARE ENGAGED IN A CONVO AND NO ONE ELSE CARES, THEN STAFF NEEDS TO STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT THEY PLEASE PM EACH OTHER. they can always use ?ignore at that point if one party doesnt want to PM. THAT'S ON THEM. ENFORCE SOME RULES.

CLEAN IT UP, THEN YOU CAN PAY SOMEONE TO RANT ABOUT THE GAME AND SEE AN INFLUX OF NEW PLAYERS..AT THAT POINT YOU MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FUCK UP THE OPPORTUNITY...

you either take the chance and do this (the chance being that players are gone from bans and they never come back out of rage or just being fed up that they cant be the same way anymore) and possibly SAVE THE GAME...or you just keep letting it die slowly ANYWAY.

...NEED TO PICK ONE OF THOSE PATHS.

the game is fine. it got thousands and thousands of people addicted. the community has become VILE. the problem is that it really might be too late...but there's only one way to find out...

and yea...im sorry that anyone may find me annoying and that im putting basically zero effort into my posts on this forum...it doesnt change the truth...standing by to laugh as no one takes this seriously once again ..fuckin TEN YEARS later...what a joke lol...you all had the chance...good luck, though...i hope one day we see ?go warzone with 500 people again...

...see ya in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leland View Post
                            hand out trenchwars cd-roms and free laptops and at covid testing centres so people can play while waiting
                            This!

Comment

Well, this game does have one thing going for it. Soon enough, it will have more active players than both Anthem and that new Avenger's game combined.
                              RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X