No announcement yet.

Does this zone need new leadership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A low end euro connection is about 150ms. 180ms is generous.
    Asians and aussies can be anywhere from 200 to 400ms.

Comment

my favorite was 2dragons not allowing the bot to spec him for high lag

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
        A low end euro connection is about 150ms. 180ms is generous.
        Asians and aussies can be anywhere from 200 to 400ms.
        So aussies/asians are fucked for league? Or would there be individual exemptions based on vetting they actually live in those countries?

For pub could we still allow aussies/asians to play?

Comment

I would intentionally exclude players over 180ms from every arena. I believe all arenas should have the same lag limits because there's no arena where you wouldn't want basic gameplay to function properly. The lag limits should ensure basic gameplay works, e.g. ppl die when hit, bullets appear early enough to dodge them.

Comment

Euro pings are 70-130 roughly. When I say 180ms it's precisely because it allows Euros to play. Easiest way to think of it is the ocean adds 70ms.
            UK should need no more than 120ms, my average is 90ms. Need more samples from other players in Europe before suggesting a hard limit. Also there could be Geo-limits based on player IP.

Comment

Yeah I get about 70-80ms usually, that's FTTP in the UK. The ocean is about 65ms of that.

I think it's important to keep the restriction targeted at the issue rather than at specific people. The issue is the lag not the location. People in the US could induce lag. People in Asia/Aus may one day get good connections.

Comment

Yeah I get about 70-80ms usually, that's FTTP in the UK. The ocean is about 65ms of that.

I think it's important to keep the restriction targeted at the issue rather than at specific people. The issue is the lag not the location. People in the US could induce lag. People in Asia/Aus may one day get good connections.
                Point being with geo-restricted ping/lag, that a player from NA with 50> ms ping, would be prevented from playing, as would a 120> ms UK player etc, but the UK player at 90 ms ping would be fine. Just need to pin down down the averages with some data gathering by the bots.

Comment

Ah I see what you mean. Around 120ms for US/Canada and 180ms for EU (and everyone else) sounds reasonable. A simple way to get data would be to trial the limit on TWD because TWD already records LO so we would see change in LO and because it's linked to players and players have countries we could see LO by country and we could see which players LO the most and speak to them to find out why. That's just a couple of database queries, or I could probably scrape it off the TWD website like I did with resolutions. After TWDT would be a good time to do it.

I could scrape the current LO data off the TWD website out of curiosity but I don't know what the current lag limit is - anyone know? I have a similar problem with not knowing the lag limits in different arenas. Pretty sure lag limits aren't working properly in TWDT. It would be good if all bots could have a !limits command that would return the lag limit for the current arena (and the res limit). Lag limits don't work in elim either because it's supposed to spec someone over the lag limit, but if it actually did that then I wouldn't be able to catch so many people with the !lag command. The !lag command should be enabled in every arena if the built-in lag checker isn't going to work properly.

Comment

Ah I see what you mean. Around 120ms for US/Canada and 180ms for EU (and everyone else) sounds reasonable. A simple way to get data would be to trial the limit on TWD because TWD already records LO so we would see change in LO and because it's linked to players and players have countries we could see LO by country and we could see which players LO the most and speak to them to find out why. That's just a couple of database queries, or I could probably scrape it off the TWD website like I did with resolutions. After TWDT would be a good time to do it.

I could scrape the current LO data off the TWD website out of curiosity but I don't know what the current lag limit is - anyone know? I have a similar problem with not knowing the lag limits in different arenas. Pretty sure lag limits aren't working properly in TWDT. It would be good if all bots could have a !limits command that would return the lag limit for the current arena (and the res limit). Lag limits don't work in elim either because it's supposed to spec someone over the lag limit, but if it actually did that then I wouldn't be able to catch so many people with the !lag command. The !lag command should be enabled in every arena if the built-in lag checker isn't going to work properly.
                    I think I average around 140 ms while in Europe. In America, I averaged around 80 due to whatever the shitty hop was that screwed everyone not on the east coast. That being said, in both cases, the average wasn't the issue. The HIGH was the issue, because a single spike in lag over the limit would spec me, even though it was very small and entirely due to some random hop somewhere. It used to be hop one that did it on the other server, but I have no idea these days. There's always going to be that random spike though every now and then, and that isn't fair to be unable to play due to that.

Regardless, this game worked fine for everyone using 56k with the server in Finland 20 years ago, yet people can't play using in 2020 using broadband internet? Git Gud
                    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Working...
                    X