I have an idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an idea

And the idea is, get rid of spawn area and simply warp players into base.

I watched a new player a few years ago and they checked out before they had even left spawn, sitting around in space firing not knowing what to do. If you spawn everyone straight into base group behavior means players will quickly start basing with their team, should have happened years ago.

What if we got rid of the base instead and just had Asteroids

Comment

I suggest similar things before but the outcome was along the lines of "people like to waste other ppls time and should have the right to". qan believes this and is in charge so it won't change.

Comment

Freespirit deep state run things. Wake up.

Comment

Whoever made ?go BeepBoopPub is a fucking G,
          Attached Files

Comment

Progressive basewarping is a problem we've worked on for years and years now. There have been many different iterations of the system, probably over a dozen.

Where we're at now is a fairly good compromise. The lower the population, the closer you spawn to midbase, including right inside it. As the population increases, the chance to spawn further away increases: somewhere in lower base, or somewhere just outside of base with an entrance usually close by. Traditional "spawn area" spawns are pretty rare and only happen with very large populations. (There's a 5% chance to spawn in the rocks at 24 players, 10% at 25, etc.) The numbers could still definitely be tweaked a bit. Players are also spawned directly into base by default at the start of a round.

For new players, there's a short tutorial system that plays, as well as graphics directly on the map that encourage you to fly toward mid. I'm guessing that either the new player was a bit overwhelmed by the tutorial, was maybe thrown off by the total lack of mouse control in 2022, or just decided it didn't look like their kind of game once actually inside it. It's hard to say exactly. It's definitely possible that they may just not have seen anything to do, but if they weren't even moving, they may not really have had the dedication needed to learn the ancient spaceship game. You really do have to have some initiative to learn the system. The inability to modify client (and server) code means we're pretty limited in how we can onboard players, but we've spent hundreds of hours trying with what we've got.
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Warping people into upper base every death won't work at all as it kills the entire idea of protecting a claimed base. The only time that works is the beginning of each round. The way it is set up now, though exceedingly annoying by increasing the number spawn kill rates we get, in games with small lower populations is still the best option. It is also completely appropriate to spawn out of base below in the old spawn area for large population games which are the settings we currently use too.

I'm honestly unsure what you are referring too when you say "simply warp players into the base". If you are on freq 1 or 0 and make sure warp is on by pming the twpubsystem with /!warp and you WILL WARP into base at the beginning of each game.
              Last edited by Jessup; 11-27-2022, 09:49 AM.
              TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
              TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
              TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
              TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
              TSLD CHAMPION 2018
              TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                Progressive basewarping is a problem we've worked on for years and years now. There have been many different iterations of the system, probably over a dozen.

Where we're at now is a fairly good compromise. The lower the population, the closer you spawn to midbase, including right inside it. As the population increases, the chance to spawn further away increases: somewhere in lower base, or somewhere just outside of base with an entrance usually close by. Traditional "spawn area" spawns are pretty rare and only happen with very large populations. (There's a 5% chance to spawn in the rocks at 24 players, 10% at 25, etc.) The numbers could still definitely be tweaked a bit. Players are also spawned directly into base by default at the start of a round.

For new players, there's a short tutorial system that plays, as well as graphics directly on the map that encourage you to fly toward mid. I'm guessing that either the new player was a bit overwhelmed by the tutorial, was maybe thrown off by the total lack of mouse control in 2022, or just decided it didn't look like their kind of game once actually inside it. It's hard to say exactly. It's definitely possible that they may just not have seen anything to do, but if they weren't even moving, they may not really have had the dedication needed to learn the ancient spaceship game. You really do have to have some initiative to learn the system. The inability to modify client (and server) code means we're pretty limited in how we can onboard players, but we've spent hundreds of hours trying with what we've got.
                Thanks for the detailed reply I can see ideas like mine have been up the hill and back already.

Comment

I second this newbie challenge. First issue comes up from spec: where's my ship? Second: what do?

Game introduction is an art... we can't just give them the F1 manual, nor warp them into the fray, but we do need to try and captivate a new audience.

A brief storyline mission could be more palatable. The text at the bottom of the screen slowly trickling up hardly catches eyes if you don't know to look there.
                  The LVZ additions were a nice simple start to intro improvement, Version 1 as far as I know. More captivating images would be some speaking face with a text box, space pilot with some tiddies? Anything which focuses attention, or suggests a level of depth. It could introduce goals one by one. Ex fly to point a, collect $, spend $, or other core goals.
                  Cold brew out

1:Sir Spider> you gotta kinda drag it out of him a little bit
                  1:Sir Spider> but once you do he just explodes
                  1:Sir Spider> at least on me
                  1:Sir Spider> ...no homo

Comment

Just give newbs shields for 1 min if they die 4x in a row. It's all about winning and dopamine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                      Just give newbs shields for 1 min if they die 4x in a row. It's all about winning and dopamine.
                      how to make all of the more asshole-y veterans immediately shit talk a new player for tanking shots

honestly, i have no idea if thats what would happen since i dont play pub all that often, but i dont think its a stretch.

maybe if there were a way using graphics or something so represent the players shielded status to another player? i'm not certain that its totally possible using the trenchwars tools available, though.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Ha, right.

Yea, a shielded graphic would work better.

This thread makes no sense anyways, warping everyone to base is already available by ?buying baseterr. If you did it every time, you would just get spawned or the game would never end.

But if you want newbs to play, give them dopamine, is the point.

Comment

Kids want battlepass and emotes. Make the WB hit the griddy after a kill.

Comment

Working...
                          X