Can't seem to get the game to work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't seem to get the game to work.

I tried downloading it on Steam AND the website, but neither of them worked. Is the game down, or is there a specific compatibility mode I couldn't figure out?

The game isn't down. Explain a bit more about what happens. Did you manage to install the game? Are you on Windows? Did you see a zone list with SSCU Trench Wars green? Did you refresh your zone list?

Comment

The screen briefly flashes and that's it. Could because my computer just auto updated to 11 or whatever the hell it is currently. I've removed permissions, tried compatibility mode in every possible version. I even tried lowering my resolution and refresh rate because I thought that could be triggering it.
      Last edited by 1 Hit; 10-07-2023, 09:16 PM.

Comment

You might want to look at your scaling settings. If you're doing more than 100dpi (100%) it has caused me grief before in Windows 10. You should be able to disable scaling settings for the continuum.exe specifically.

I also install with the offline installer from https://trenchwars.org/ssdl, I create a c:\legacyapps directory on the root of C so its not in the Program Files directories. You should probably give yourself or Authenticated Users "Full Control" of that directory as well, and run the continuum.exe as administrator.

Unfortunately/Fortunately my laptop is locked to Windows 10 due to my TPM chip, so I haven't had a chance to experience 11 yet.

Comment

I use Windows 11, Continuum works fine.

Whatever this is, we can't figure it out unless you can describe properly what's happening. If it's easier to record a video then do that.

Comment

Yeah, I'm on 11 too. Pleasantly surprised with it. Cont works the same. It seems to be Windows 10 v2, which is sort of what they promised. Upgraded in anticipation of mass release of the AI features in 2 days or so, and to help my blind mom who is using it with screen reader software.

DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is one that has come up for some people in this situation. If it's not even launching, or launching and closing instantly, it sounds like it may be getting flagged for its goofy memory tricks which PriitK used to lock it down and end the Twister era. Maybe DEP was re-enabled in the update.

So make sure DEP is not enabled for all programs. If it is, add an exception for the Continuum executable, or disable it except for Windows programs and services. To get there easily, type "advanced" in the search bar and choose "View advanced system settings." Click Advanced tab, click Settings on Performance options, and then look at the DEP tab.

"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

There really wasn't much else to describe. My screen briefly flashed and that was it. Nothing else. I ended up system restoring and now it's working just fine. So bizarre... Sorry for getting back to y'all so late. At least the issue that was clearly on my end has been resolved. I wonder what the heck it was!

Comment

Working...
              X