Best Keyboards for SSing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Keyboards for SSing

What keyboard do you use, what do you think is the best keyboard (and/or for which ship/which games), and what key settings have you switched. Feel free to elaborate on some incidents or personal experiences.

I see three distinct categories:

1 - ultra responsive: those cheap keyboards that when you press the backspace button, its flies across the line.

2 - balanced response: logitech's, good response, but a nice solid feel to it

3 - pronounced response: microsoft keyboards, where you press the backspace and it seems to erase letter at a time (or close to it)

There are also niche's, like Microsofts Natural Keyboard (half the keyboard is separated), possibly the worst keyboard for SS in existance (on top of the fact it has no Insert Key) to laptops silky smooth and responsive taps.

Personally, I'm a big fan of most logitech keyboards, and some of those cheap ones can be good as well (compaqs or whatever that come with the computer).

The worst, in my experience, are Microsoft keyboards and those old grey and white keyboards from the 80's. Microsofts Natural keyboard (one of the one's i own) is pretty horrible. It has no insert key (the printscreen doubles as it), you have to re-arrange all your key settings, the keyboard is separated in half and the control/shift buttons are a mile away from the up/down/left/right buttons, the button presses are deep and gradual, it makes you sloppy on dodges and rigid in aiming at good players, almost unable to adjust to people lingering between blind spots and requiring split-second movements to get them into a kill-shot line of sight.

I find for terring the laptop's silky smooth touches and responsiveness is best, for wbing a logitech is great, its responsive but its also got some feel to it for set shots off rocks and stuff, and its just overall perfectly balanced, great for javing too.

in terms of key defs, I switched my rep button to 'Z', that's about it. Anyone use WASD to move their ship?!
    top 100 basers list

I use a greyish Sony VAIO keyboard. I like it becuase of it's odd arrangement of keys. PgUp, PgDn, End, and Home are integrated with the arrow keys, you press an 'FN' button located near the left Ctrl to activate them. Delete and Insert, Print Screen and Pause are on a line of keys by themselves in the corner.
    The keys are pretty responsive, and the whole deal is pretty compact. I can reach nearly every key without moving my hand.

Without this keyboard, I would be a good three times as bad at this game.
    Merf. <_<

Comment

i use microsoft natural keybord and find it better, its a bit difficult to get used to for ss but over all i find it better, as for the no insert key? well its not impossible to change ur key settings in ss is it?
      I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Comment

No you can change your keys. When you get to the place where you click on the zones you click profile then find the profile you want to change the keys of click on it then click on key definitions. From there you can change any of your keys.

As for a keyboard I use a Green Mitsuko keyboard that is completely normal :P
        1:Sumpson> SSC wants to be facist

"The only thing that can ruin this game is the player community." -BD Vine, Sonera
        Corporation.

Comment

i have a acer white/grey keyboard. it looks like a dell quietkey, but with ACER on it. it only deletes backwards fast if i hold it down. if i want to delete 1-5 letters, i can push it 5 times with no extra erasing.
          thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by arwen_7
            i use microsoft natural keybord and find it better, its a bit difficult to get used to for ss but over all i find it better, as for the no insert key? well its not impossible to change ur key settings in ss is it?
            naw, just change that big ass DELETE key to warp and set portals, and switch up something for home or end, whatever isnt in that block of keys.
            top 100 basers list

Comment

Keytronic KT 2000 MPR II

That's like the BESTEST KEYBOARD EVER MADE for playing Continuum.
              6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
              3 league vet

Comment

Logitech Y-SR34 is good for ss
                Originally posted by Kolar
                My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
                ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

I use, um... whatever's there. It doesn't really matter to me.
                  FREE MANDELA

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse
                    What keyboard do you use, what do you think is the best keyboard (and/or for which ship/which games), and what key settings have you switched. Feel free to elaborate on some incidents or personal experiences.

I see three distinct categories:

1 - ultra responsive: those cheap keyboards that when you press the backspace button, its flies across the line.

2 - balanced response: logitech's, good response, but a nice solid feel to it

3 - pronounced response: microsoft keyboards, where you press the backspace and it seems to erase letter at a time (or close to it)

There are also niche's, like Microsofts Natural Keyboard (half the keyboard is separated), possibly the worst keyboard for SS in existance (on top of the fact it has no Insert Key) to laptops silky smooth and responsive taps.

Personally, I'm a big fan of most logitech keyboards, and some of those cheap ones can be good as well (compaqs or whatever that come with the computer).

The worst, in my experience, are Microsoft keyboards and those old grey and white keyboards from the 80's. Microsofts Natural keyboard (one of the one's i own) is pretty horrible. It has no insert key (the printscreen doubles as it), you have to re-arrange all your key settings, the keyboard is separated in half and the control/shift buttons are a mile away from the up/down/left/right buttons, the button presses are deep and gradual, it makes you sloppy on dodges and rigid in aiming at good players, almost unable to adjust to people lingering between blind spots and requiring split-second movements to get them into a kill-shot line of sight.

I find for terring the laptop's silky smooth touches and responsiveness is best, for wbing a logitech is great, its responsive but its also got some feel to it for set shots off rocks and stuff, and its just overall perfectly balanced, great for javing too.

in terms of key defs, I switched my rep button to 'Z', that's about it. Anyone use WASD to move their ship?!
                    For my first year of playing I used WASD because of Counter-Strike habits. Fortunately I broke that habit though. As for me I've always played on a laptop so any other keyboard doesn't feel right to me.

Comment

My keyboard cost 5 dollars at wal-mart.

It's small square and white.. and I think it's the best keyboard ever for SS.

I have a ton of expensive and wireless keyboards, but this cheap one seems to work best becuase its simple and nothing to get in the way.
                      Dodge in game :greedy:

Comment

I use this standard thing I got with my computer over 3 years ago, it has goo inbetween the keys, that might help.

Comment

my keyboard is black
                          1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

Juice

Comment

Originally posted by Stultus
                            I use, um... whatever's there. It doesn't really matter to me.

If you ever play something differnt then base and hosted games your opinion will change greatly... you can't play javs to your full potential with just any keyboard :fear:
                            Dodge in game :greedy:

Comment

Originally posted by SooN
                              If you ever play something differnt then base and hosted games your opinion will change greatly... you can't play javs to your full potential with just any keyboard :fear:
                              care to elaborate?

as for whomever mentioned wireless keyboards, i have one but i dont trust it! i want my key board hardwired to my computer at all times.

didn't they come out with a "gamers keyboard" or something, it was like 1/3rd of a keyboard and made for FPS's and to use with a mouse. It looked like it would be good for SS
                              top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
                              X