Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password reminder

Hey guys,

As there have been a decent amount of attempts on cracking passwords lately, I wanted to send out a reminder to everyone to change their password if it's one that's easy to guess.

Everyone will probably already know what I'm talking about here. Still, it's hard to get out of the bad habits. I've finally migrated over to all higher-security passwords just a few weeks ago, so I'm even a bit of a hypocrite here. But maybe that's part of the motivation for posting this.

- Your password should not be in the dictionary -- any dictionary. The obvious reason for this is because dictionaries are used to crack passwords.

- Your password should include both letters and numbers. This makes it significantly harder for someone who is using a random password generator to crack your account.

- The letters in the password should not be all one case. Vary upper and lower case.

- The password should be at least 8-10 characters. Think about how hard it would be to crack an ATM with a 1 digit pin. Now think of one with a 12 digit pin. For every character you add on to your password, you are making it much more difficult for the intruder. When I was about 14 and even more of a fool than I currently am, I used to "hack" into answering machines because most had just a 2-digit code. You could enter 95% of all answering machines with at most 50 keypresses on a DTMF pad. But again, this is because the code was 2 digits. One more digit multiplied the difficulty by ten (10 possible values for each digit). With the number of characters available on a keyboard, an additional (random) character magnifies the difficulty of a
    password crack by 80 times or more. And that's a conservative estimate.

So please do consider changing your password if it's easy to crack, or improving your already strong password by adding a couple extra random characters. You never have to type the damn thing anyway. It just auto-logs you in, so there's no reason to worry about a difficult-to-remember password.

Also, a quick reminder: the practice of name-trading isn't condoned in TW. If you do it, keep in mind that like shooting heroin, it's extremely addictive, fun and dangerous. Worst case scenario, you may end up losing your name to a misappropriated ban. If you absolutely have to nametrade, though, change your password immediately after each trade, and don't ever use the same password on two accounts.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Originally posted by qan
    Everyone will probably already know what I'm talking about here.
    Demonic? Or has something else happened?
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

my question is: why would u hack an answering machine? o__O
      thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
        Demonic? Or has something else happened?
        Someone was brute force hacking some logins/passwords for twd.trenchwars.org before Pre season TWL.

Comment

what happened to demonic?
          Gun remembers.

Comment

Demonic said she/he left the password to the mod name Demonic on someones computer and someone with access to that machine used it ban a few people. I don't know if it was by using *kill or not but I think it was through BanG, so that story doesn't seem to account for this. I haven't been following this event though so I don't know the current state of things.

Edit: This also has nothing to do with the twd site hacking.
            Last edited by Kolar; 01-25-2005, 04:18 PM.

Comment

It was *kill AFAIK.
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Well when I saw Demonic aka kInKy_gIrL <ZH>'s fake picture I almost cried.
                I'm not surprised he got his account stolen, that stupid wannabegirl.

Comment

You can't brute force passwords with the SSC biller, any attempt to login with the wrong password multiple times causes you to be disconnected for hours... most likely people are being infected with trojan horse program. See cool link, click cool link. MSIE bug used to send profile.dat to server. Cracker retrieves profile.dat, replaces it with his own, and voila, he's got your passwords.

Although strong passwords are always good to have, they're not enough to combat the current problems of password hacking.
                  TWSites.com - TWSites.com Web Hosting Services
                  qan> dock's raw animal magnetism and sheer ability to reboot bot cores inspires lust in all genders :P
                  3:wadi> no yawning on the internet.

Comment

Haha

Help us ohh great ubergeek. ^-^

Comment

He's just sharing informtion and therefore doing us all a favour, shut up moltenrock.
                      Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                      You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                      There wont be another election for president.
                      Obama is the Omega President.
                      http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wtf Man

DUDE.....look under his name!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE DOCK..........JEEZ

Comment

Ahh yes, sorry. I should have mentioned the "hacking" on the TWD site is not related to Demonic banning thing. Mods probably should not be storing their passwords on profile.dat, if anyone wants to make sure their passwords are secure: Make high security passwords as Qan said, for TW web content; clear your history and cookies every few days (firefox can be set to do this automaticly), remove your continuum password from your user profile on Cont.; you'll have to put it in when entering a SSC server after this and make sure you run a virus and spyware scan every few days (and get a hardware and software firewall).

One last thing, I downloaded a program call "Security Task Manager", it's like Windows task manager but it will give you more information, options, secruity risks on processes and a web search engine for processes.

Comment

That reminds me... at least 10 people know my password
                            Thank you for reminder :bigups:
                            STARKITTY
                            A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

Dock has just made me cool link AWARE!
                              Now all we need is a TV Advert with some cheesy actors to get the message across to other people
                              Fat people are really hard to kidnapp.
                              Shock.p3 Media Player

Comment

Working...
                              X