Rivalries in Trench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivalries in Trench

Or lack thereof! When two teams have a rivalry going and they play against eachother it makes the game that much more exciting to watch than if it were just a normal game. The players of said teams will also play tougher for the sake of pride. Yea me bitching about the lack of squad rivalry is kind of shitty in the sense that I'm pretty much promoting people disliking eachother for the sake of a more intriguing game. In contrast if proffesional sports teams didnt have rivalries in the regular season, one game would never be different from the next with the only exception being uniforms.

Rivalries stem from teams facing eachother multiple times, the fact that only a handful Trench Wars squads have lasted prevents this from happening. I think my favorite rivalry in Trench has been the Siege/Elusive rivalry in dueling league.

Anyway what I'm getting at here is rivalries and promotion of rival teams facing one another in leagues would produce a greater interest in leagues, and game reports etc. A lot of people would take more interest in TW politics. So yea, get out there and rally your squad to hate some other squad, or get your squad to practice with another squad a bunch and develop a friendly rivalry. Or don't, I'm just saying the lack of rivalries in the most popular zone in subspace is retarded especially seeing how many notable personalities we have.

If you disagree I'd like to hear your reasoning.

EDIT: added 'friendly rivalry' thing in 3rd paragraph. ^____*
    Last edited by triceratops; 10-16-2002, 04:08 PM.
    Animol> the solution for crimelization is openetion of heartization
    Moltenrock> STOP TALKING TO MY TEAMMMATE ASSHOLE

the pallies/diso basing game could become a great rivalry, except that we get along so well (except dabram, my squad hates him).
    Pallies Support Group "We all feel lonely sometimes"

Pallies Basing Store (not just subspace merchandise)

okie dokey baby?

Comment

Rivalries definately make the game more exciting for both the spectator and the players. Pride is a dangerous thing to mess with, and when that is what is on the line the competition level rises.

Right now I wouldn't say there are any hardcore rivalries. For those that remember, pallies had one with -=guy=- (i'm sure there were more symbols around their name, but i don't remember them all) in the TWDT league. It was definately a lot of fun, when we had the match our squad had a huge turnout, everyone wanted to give 110% in order to have bragging rights. The creative trash talking was also pretty entertaining stuff. Not your usual "don't talk because you forgot an apostrophe in your post and you're fat" trash you see on here.

Good stuff, Mr. Tops.
      Last edited by Pearl Jam; 10-16-2002, 04:17 PM.
      PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

Rivalry yes, politics however...

Comment

It's difficult to get excited over little 2d spaceships. 3d spaceships (!@!@!@), though, are a whole different story. (!@!@!@)
            'vet' is the new 'newb'.
            sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

We were sure that the first 10 ten responses would yield a cartoon and a nonsense comment.
              PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

WtFz will be everyone's rival once they realize our impending superiority illustrated by the following:
                • We spend all our time that you spend in this game partying.
                • We get all the girls you seem to not notice while winning your leagues.
                • We are the metaphoric "shiznit" of the realm of this game you call "Trench Wars."
                • Our natural talents at this wonderful little spaceship game supercede yours on every known level of its existence. (Erego, we don't need to practice.)
                • We are, essentially, better than you in any and all facets of life.

Stick that in your mouth and choke on it...
                Reclusion
                "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Commentary on the original post of the thread:

I think one key reason there are no rivalries, as you pointed out, is the frequent breakup of squads. This can be attributed, also, to the fact that TW's real life age base as a whole is lower than many of the zones with squads that have established themselves (i.e. Premier, HZ, etc.) With age, generally, comes a more keen sense of loyalty. etc. (even for stupid things like 2D video games). Older people are just generally more mature. (Just look at Vulch. They had many of the older, more mature members of the TW community, and I hardly think anything short of real life problems would have split them up.)

The fact that TW also houses more newer players than many of these zones helps add to this problem (if you want to call it that). If we look at one angle: New players have nowhere to go but up in their skill level. Higher skill level generally means you move on to "bigger and better" squads. This creates a bit of a lack of skilled players in the "Low" to "Medium" squads, thus putting them in a bit of a peril (sadly).

Another angle we could take is the lack of prior interaction that newer players posess (or their young "Game Age"). Many HZ and Premier league players have played the game for a while, and in this time they've invariably met and got to know folks in the game. This generally directly relates to their loyalty factor (we again go to that age thing, as well). If you know someone for a while, you'll stick by their side.

One can also look to all the "Supersquads" as a contributing factor to the lack of rivalries. The only rivalries tric commented on were the Elusive/Siege duels. They take away the competetive edge on many of the teams, thus not really giving them a reason to fight. We all play to win, correct? What point is there in playing if we all know who is going to win in the end anyway? While the occasional "Angels" team upsetting the favored "Yankees" is always nice and unexpected, it just doesn't generally happen.

I have no idea why I just spent 15 minutes typing that up, but I'm in a really analytical mood today. Just thought I'd share my ideas on this subject.

Now back to your regularly scheduled garbage and flaming....
                  Last edited by Reclusion; 10-16-2002, 06:25 PM.
                  Reclusion
                  "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl Jam
                    Rivalries definately make the game more exciting for both the spectator and the players. Pride is a dangerous thing to mess with, and when that is what is on the line the competition level rises.

Right now I wouldn't say there are any hardcore rivalries. For those that remember, pallies had one with -=guy=- (i'm sure there were more symbols around their name, but i don't remember them all) in the TWDT league. It was definately a lot of fun, when we had the match our squad had a huge turnout, everyone wanted to give 110% in order to have bragging rights. The creative trash talking was also pretty entertaining stuff. Not your usual "don't talk because you forgot an apostrophe in your post and you're fat" trash you see on here.

Good stuff, Mr. Tops.
                    -=*GUY*=- forever
                    Originally posted by Ward
                    OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Pallies Support Group "We all feel lonely sometimes"

Pallies Basing Store (not just subspace merchandise)

okie dokey baby?

Comment

If anyone wants to start a rivalry with me, that's cool, because I hate most all of you.
                        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

I love you.

Comment

whiterabbit vs floydians

Comment

Originally posted by Reclusion
                              WtFz will be everyone's rival once they realize our impending superiority illustrated by the following:
                              • We spend all our time that you spend in this game partying.
                              • We get all the girls you seem to not notice while winning your leagues.
                              • We are the metaphoric "shiznit" of the realm of this game you call "Trench Wars."
                              • Our natural talents at this wonderful little spaceship game supercede yours on every known level of its existence. (Erego, we don't need to practice.)
                              • We are, essentially, better than you in any and all facets of life.

Stick that in your mouth and choke on it...
                              amen...

Comment

Working...
                              X