No announcement yet.

Enough jacking with the settings, guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well well, limiting pubs is not a good idea at all. It's a pub after all, where people can do almost anything what they want, within the rules of the game of course. After you put limits in, it won't be a pub anymore. As for the TKing, I don't think it's a problem. If people are TKing on purpose, you can always report them.

As for the tweaking of the settings and other implementations that has been done recently. IMO a majority of them have been bad ones. As an example this newest stunt with the Javelin, about everyone who I've talked to about it thinks it was a bad idea and doesn't like it. Of course, if you change something, eventhough this is a small community, there will always be players who disagree. But in any case, I think most of them have been done without considering the effects it has on the whole community and game, or then they were just forced. This is actually a thing that should be improved. It would be nice to know what changes are considered, what is going to happen in the future, and all that sort of things.

Comment

Darkmoor said:
      But in any case, I think most of them have been done without considering the effects it has on the whole community and game, or then they were just forced.
      Well, I would automatically disagree here. They obviously consider it's effect, that's why they do it for pete's sake. You must just disagree with their predictions or the direction they want to go.

As they have mentioned in other threads- there is really no way to make this arena into some kind of democracy. These forums represent a small portion of the TW player pool.

Also, the zone is also not supported by player's funds. You have to question just how much "say" we should have. The staff want to run a popular zone - there is no doubt that is still the case. Their desire might be to keep getting new people enjoying the pubs and deciding to stick around for other arenas. They might want settings that force good (or break bad) habits for future play in league or ?go base arenas. The pub settings that do all this might not make the pubs the best place for bitter veterans.

Edit to add:
      Polls don't seem an option. The only way I could suggest the staff might decide changes is to spend time in pubs in spec mode watching games for tactics you wish to encourage or discourage. Actually take note of how often different things happen - is Pure Hatred correct? Are exactly 99% of jav tk's NOT dut to weasel defence? :grin: Every so often could a "statistician" bot come in and keep track of ship type usage, tk's by ship type, kills in spawning area?
      Last edited by CloudHelmut; 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AcidBomber
        Javs dont get x-radar now?! wtf... :fear:
        WTF that is so gay. Especially if you have a noob terr that doesnt call xs or even turn on xradar. if javs arent allowed to automatically have xradar then weasels need to take a severe maneuverability hit or recharge hit.

Comment

Don't put another tool to the Weasel. It's fine. Things were fine before the Weasel got crippled by the stealth+cloak drain. A few people who didn't like having to communicate with their team to avoid getting X'ed came to the forums and bitched, and now pubs are just about screwed beyond repair. Staff, start thinking this shit over before you implement it. The settings changes you're making are just pushing pubs closer and closer to death.
          Originally posted by Tone
          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
          Originally posted by the_paul
          Gargle battery acid fuckface
          Originally posted by Material Girl
          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by CloudHelmut
            Well, I would automatically disagree here. They obviously consider it's effect, that's why they do it for pete's sake. You must just disagree with their predictions or the direction they want to go.
            Then consider some more and of course I disagree, they're my opinions as it is.

As they have mentioned in other threads- there is really no way to make this arena into some kind of democracy. These forums represent a small portion of the TW player pool.
            I didn't say anything about democracy, because that wouldn't work. Just that it would be nice to know what is happening. Instead of just finding out one day that they now changed some more or less important factor without saying anything.

Also, the zone is also not supported by player's funds. You have to question just how much "say" we should have. The staff want to run a popular zone - there is no doubt that is still the case. Their desire might be to keep getting new people enjoying the pubs and deciding to stick around for other arenas... snip
            Read above, and of course. Pubs should be developed in such a way as to get new potential players to like and play this game, while keeping them entertaining for older players as well. This is where I disagree with some of the choices, seems like the opposite is happening.

Comment

I agree that it would be nice if changes to the settings were announced somehow. Heh, for all I know it's in the news.txt I never look at.

For stuff like this I'm pretty "roll with the punches" type guy but I understand where a lot of you are coming from. It's annoying to constantly get used to new settings, especially when you got along just fine with the old ones. The staff really should be careful about the number of times they make changes, both to satisfy old timers and let newbs know this isn't an unstable zone. If they want another suggestion I would say : think out a package of changes (after doing all the watching I earlier recommended), implement them all at once, spend a short time refining them. Regimented like rolling out new software- Trench Wars 2.0(now with new bots). Obviously the basic style of the zone is popular, so don't mess too much.

For those who disagree with staff decisions, all I can say is it would be better to work for change rather than demand it. If you think staff should be more helpful, why don't you volunteer to be some kind of ombudsman and gather comment (attributable, not "everyone hates these settings"). See if they'll take volunteers to answer ?help commands. When you are in the pubs, teach people better strategies. Be gentle and instructive in your first few "TK warning"s. Report cheaters, take screen shots of cheaters. Don't spend your time building a big "I told you so!" file.

Comment

The main thing that disturbs me, is why don't the staff have a link on the TW webpage "CURRENT SHIP SETTINGS"?
                I agree. Its nice to know things, so ppl won't get all caught up in thinking OMG THEY CHANGED WB THEY SLOWED IT DOWN
                just due to, what was it, mass hysteria.

Originally posted by Disliked
                Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Existenz87
                  WTF that is so gay. Especially if you have a noob terr that doesnt call xs or even turn on xradar. if javs arent allowed to automatically have xradar then weasels need to take a severe maneuverability hit or recharge hit.
                  or you people could realize that having a base full of 10 javs is a silly idea in general. play a different ship if cloakers annoy you. thats a good change in the right direction. now to give the lanc bouncing bullets or the javĀ“s tweaked xradar(since the jav players obviously dont like it).

Originally posted by Darkmoor
                  It would be nice to know what changes are considered, what is going to happen in the future, and all that sort of things.
                  yes, post it on the forums if u change anything, there is gona be a thread about it anyway.

Comment

Heh, just checked the news.txt - most recent entry is final match announcments from last August. Wouldn't it be easy to keep a change log in there?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, who is it that makes/plans the pub changes? Smods? DoCk>? TWdev?

Originally posted by Disliked
                      Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                      +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Working...
                      X