Speed hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed hackers

I can't believe a post like this hasn't been made yet (atleast according to my quick searching), but here it is:

It has come to my attention that a rather large group of people feel the need to speed hack. This has become much more evident since duel started. People will do anything to get good recs and ratings it seems, really pathetic. I have had atleast 3 people admit to me that they do indeed speed hack in less then a day and know a few others do for sure. How do I know? Its really rather obvious.

It has nothing to do with lag or eating, it has to do with a slight movement increase and faster recharging, unless your in spiders then it will appear to eat as the person can recharge faster then you can do damage. I had a guy spider me yesterday and he never even attempted to dodge he just came straight at you with horrible aim and would eat 7-8 shots and shoot the entire time WHILE still catching up to you. I later confronted this person on a different name and he admited to me hacking he even showed me the capabilities of such programs. He was able to shoot as if having super and move from one side of the arena to another in no more then 3 seconds. It should also be noted this player was on a high level twdd squad and admited to knowing a few on twl squads that did as well, even 1 he showed how to do it.

I am not going to post names because nothing will ever be done, the only thing that will fix this is changes to the client.

The staff will never be good enough to notice everyone who uses these programs which is why something to the client needs to be done. There needs to be more server side calculations or at the very least checks that could raise warnings for mods. A bot could possibly work as well, as I have never dealt with bots I wouldn't know but I imagine bots would be able to randomly check a players energy regeneration and compare it to what the maximum would be. Lag would be of little problem here as everything should be lagged roughly the same amount and if a person always has 50+ extra energy every second then its not lag for sure. Maybe do a series of 4 or 5 checks per player and if its just a lag spike it will be obvious.

I'll probably quit subspace again and I know others are thinking about it as well because its just getting pathetic. While us leaving wont make a different to 99.9% of you I would atleast hope some of you push for improvements.

The bottom line is, speed hacking is a very real problem, it by all accounts is on the rise and something needs to be done by the upper levels in order to stop it.

How does speed hacking work? Does it just up recharge and speed, like twister, and if so wouldn't it be detected and shut down? Or is it like a lag related thing that doesn't actually run a third party program?

Originally posted by Disliked
    Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
    +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

If you're really sure people speed hack, then just tell us how they do it. That way staff would have more chance catching those hackers.
      I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

i love speed

mmm mmm good

^_-
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Tell me who to message in game or on the forums and I can provide all the information. I would explain more about it here but that would only increase the numbers using such methods.

Edit: And no, the server does not detect it or do anything about it, this is what is needed to fix the problem.
          Last edited by Savageee; 05-14-2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I used speedhack multiple times. My ping actually goes down to 40ms, but my C2C increases to sick amounts. It shows in your tinfo though, and I don't think it wouldn't be too hard to patch speedhacking, but it would need a update of continuum?
            You ate some priest porridge

Comment

I dont see how it could be fixed without a patch to Continuum, given how it can be used it is literaly impossible to catch let alone prove 95% of the people who use it. You are rather limited by your connection as to how fast you can set it, but even on 56k you can still go 10-20% without any big changes. Thats more then enough to screw people over.

Comment

I did not take your call but I did watch the user in question. He was rushing a lot (didn't see any eating) and I did not notice any odd changes in his energy or lag. Next time if a call doesn't get anyone, do it again (politely, or check the arena, some mods dont announce their presence). You can also email all evidence to one of the more active Smods.

Comment

I have been shown this way of cheating in ss before by a friend. The way its done is a program speeds up the users machine and so when running ss, the program runs faster than it should. (you go faster and recharge faster) it is quite hard to play with this as enemy ships are jumping all over the place but it can help a player win events such as race.
                  Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                  TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

Two nights ago, I was in some tryout arena and along comes Cut. He flies his warbird right at me, and let me shoot him 5 times in a row point blank, every shot a eat. Then he shot me, and laughed saying I need to improve my aiming. Also my squad Militaris dd'ed Marshmallow Marines, and he did the same thing; but then a Mod came in and he started to die. Could he be using this Speed hack that your talking about Savageee?

Savageee, I'm a bit confused in how this speed hacking is accomplished. The bottomline you said, a Client patch has to be made to alert mods of anychanges.

Because you say a patch is needed, I assume that a custom TRAINER version of Continuum client is being distributed. TRAINER is a popular term used back in the old days of warez, where you have an intro and can select cheat options.

Basically, someone disassembled Continuum client and modified the code slightly to use these cheats. It would be difficult, but it could be done.

As far as I know, there isn't hordes a players that use it, luckily. I just avoid dueling people that use cheats, and keep a personal record who I suspect. It just isn't fun playing against a cheater, just a waste of time.

I don't think I would quit the game over this, just avoid playing cheaters.

Maybe someone bring this to the attention of Priitk and hopefully he might make a patch or revision. But then again that would mean everyone must use this new client version to play SS.

Thanks Savageee bringing this up, I've seen the same thing as you, and had know idea what was going on.

---Edit
                    Just saw Ardour's reply.
                    How can a program make the Cpu go faster?
                    Was he using a Task Manager program, to change TASK priorities level? hmmm..
                    Last edited by WiseCherub; 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I don't know exactly how the speed programs work but they usually increase the speed of your entire system, this causes your clock to change with the speed as well, so someone running it at say 2x the normal speed would have a minute on his computer every 30 seconds. I have also heard about programs that can just do a single program and leave the rest of the system normal. These programs work for any game or program, but are very abusable in games like this where all the calculations are done on the client as opposed to some server heavy games like wulfram ect.

The only way I can think of for why someone would be able to eat 5 shots in a row is doing the reverse, slowing the game down to a point where the bullets would take a very long time to reach his ship so he could sit there awhile before being forced to move. This however would also prevent him from actually moving while you were shooting him, so if he was hardly moving or just floating while you were shooting then this is probably the case. I don't think its possible to speed up the game to the point where you wouldn't die when getting hit for more then your current energy. A warbid bullet most the time is enough to kill you at 100% so even with 20x the regeneration speed a person hit would still die.

It would probably be possible to patch the server side software to detect how many updates are being sent by the client. When running at higher speeds your connection will start to lag (causing the jumpy ships if you dont have a good connection) because your client is trying to send 2x the updates every second or whatever its at. If the server software could detect when people are sending updates faster and just disconnect them that could work.

As for the guy Kolar is talking about, he explained to me his problem after the match, and said his tinfo was way out of whack because of his connection, on purpose or not is anyone's guess but it forced me to aim behind him about 2-3 inches on my screen to get a kill. None of my kills that game hit him, all were miss kills. As for why it didn't look odd to you I have no idea, even he said he knew it was way out of synch because of how bad everyone else showed for him.

Comment

how do u expect savagee to tell who is a cheater or not, simply by their name?

i've seen people hit one of the sides of the jav walls near a corner, and then boost over to the other side without making a curve. i've always dismissed it as lag since they lost anyways.
                        thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

I have to say, I had seen a person do speedhacking, including one who made a speedhack. They even told me you lagout eventually when using speedhack.
                          1:Hydride> who we play next week
                          1:ReNdErED> Pandora
                          1:ReNdErED> gulp
                          1:ReNdErED> if i see Ease im shiftin across map

1:Hydride> best feeling EVER
                          1:Hydride> its like if you get sacked and when the pain goes away feeling x 999999999999999999999999
                          1:cranium> uve obviously never fucked a plastic bag filled with jelly inbetween the couch cushions
                          1:menelvagor> ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL
                          1:cranium> talk about a feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Savageee
                            I don't know exactly how the speed programs work but they usually increase the speed of your entire system

The only way I can think of for why someone would be able to eat 5 shots in a row is doing the reverse, slowing the game down to a point where the bullets would take a very long time to reach his ship so he could sit there awhile before being forced to move.
                            SpeedHacks speed up all of the clients running in windows. Anyways, the person does not slow the game down, when you speed up the game your ship moves faster, and your energy will also regain WAY faster.
                            Therefore, when using a speedhack your ship will move faster, and when you get hit your energy will regain back before it gets to the point where you will die.
                            I know quite a bit about speedhacks, I know the guy who made one ( I have tryed it once in a private arena, but it was gay , and i do regret it) so if you got anymore questions just holla
                            1:Hydride> who we play next week
                            1:ReNdErED> Pandora
                            1:ReNdErED> gulp
                            1:ReNdErED> if i see Ease im shiftin across map

1:Hydride> best feeling EVER
                            1:Hydride> its like if you get sacked and when the pain goes away feeling x 999999999999999999999999
                            1:cranium> uve obviously never fucked a plastic bag filled with jelly inbetween the couch cushions
                            1:menelvagor> ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL
                            1:cranium> talk about a feeling

Comment

Guys Guys Guys

Theres no such things as cheats for subspace, so give it up

Comment

Working...
                              X