Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towels, their throwing, and where to throw them (in)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towels, their throwing, and where to throw them (in)

Wasn't going to post one of these, but I figure after having been here long enough I really should. As a preamble this is a basic "quitting Subspace" letter of the usual type. I think Word now has a template option for writing one.

The main difference between this one and others is, I guess, that it's from a ridiculous 9 year player like many misguided others, and I've seen various levels of staff on this wacky zone. I've also tried to contribute to help evolve the zone from a stagnated (and population-dropping) nostalgia haven filled with sighs over days long past into one that can stand up to future years with moxy and spunk, for what it's worth. I dunno.

For what it's worth, hmm. Hahah.

SO --

Dear sir, please answer our survey. Thank you.

Why is, are, er, you quitting?
    Heart's not in it anymore, baby. It's a poor use of time, of anyone's time. I find that the amount I learn from my SS experiences grows less and less and requires more and more time, and regularly every time I log on, about 80% of the time is wasted, down the drain, unable to be recovered. I hardly even play the game anymore. I just develop for it. Is that sick or what?

Why not remain and put in minimal time?
    Tried it and can't do it. If I'm not talking to someone trying to brownnose about getting on staff, I'm talking to someone about walking their dog in the park or something equally insipid and meaningless. I have enough worthless conversation in real life to justify four thousand bullets in my brain. Nobody needs small talk. It is hell on Earth, and a big fuck you to everyone who perpetuates such misery, pardon the language. Definitely a big reason why I'm leaving. (...No, not you!)

Isn't the coding awesome, though?
    I'll miss coding for Trench Wars a good bit. A lot of projects I was just finally getting off the ground, but, oh well. The release of TWCore 1 will have to be passed on to someone, probably either Ikrit or D1st0rt. Cerium can take over and combine it with Hybrid if he would like, too. That would be sort of neat I think, and better to have one rather than two anyhow. The rest of my stuff anyone can hack at if they want. No biggie.

TWPS?
    Dock and Pure were worried that we would get too many proposals in to deal with. So I intentionally obfuscated TWPS to make it hard to apply to. Someone needs to fix it up, maybe Kim who is subbing, maybe someone else with more of an interest. Overview and the little problem and resolution section should be scrapped, as should the type and all the rest that only adds confusion. So far pretty much just staff proposals have gone through, and while that's what some of it's for, it's supposed to mainly be for the players. We need to make TWPS useful or else it was just a massive waste of time.

But you're a Super Moderator, or what have you. If I were a TW SMod I would never quit...
    Take a look at our upper staff turnover/burnout rate and it's probably a safe bet that after a year or so as upper staff you'd get sick of it, too. It's not that great. Staff in general is nothing fantastic. It's an enjoyable responsibility, with emphasis on responsibility. It teaches you things. It's worthwhile to some degree, but fuck it, go take a walk or read a book instead. You're wasting your life playing a video game, and yes, I am your mother.

Any upper staff gossip?
    Pure's been overdue for quitting for probably a year and a half now, and he knows it. Quit, PL -- I said it a year ago, I'll say it again. Step down. You're all right, you're an OK guy. You're just sick of your job on TW like any sensible person would be. Give it to someone smart who can handle themselves, step back and watch magic happen. You'll love the results, and in the meantime you won't be increasing the total sum of human misery by your near complete lack of involvement. If you were a boss this way in real life, your workers would already have cut off your head and the biggest and hairiest of them all would have taken your desk. As for Mantra, you're unknowingly tying his hands. He can't shake anything up with your well-positioned ass in the seat of Official dean -- that is, there's no doubt in anyone's mind you still have a notch above him. He was an excuse for you not to quit. Most people bought it. Two Deans, good, but this isn't working out right now. Get a replacement, and name the smart guy before the big, hairy guy comes along.

As far as the rest of upper staff, some are definitely hard working people. Some are riding the gravy-less gravy train because they've been around long enough. But again, no foul there. When there basically are no sysops -- no offense, DoCk> -- and the Deans are all but ineffective, one at least far FAR more interested in his squad getting to TWL than any staff matter, hands down... well, if those are your leaders, you're not going to get great work out of anybody. We do pretty good as it is, though.

Speaking of sysops, what about them?
    Someone needs to buy DoCk> out of his position. The poor guy is stuck there and he shouldn't be. It's quite bizarre. He doesn't want to be a sysop anymore, he's genuinely unhappy about it, and is currently MIA due to a "dead internet connection" but anyone who knows him even vaguely knows what's up -- another extended vacation. Thank God this prison gives you vacation time. As far as PriitK goes, well, he pays most of our bills, good stuff. But I don't know if he'll actually get around to the new version of Cont to combat the CE stuff. Someone might want to compile a petition of love and respect and get that stamped out before it becomes ridiculous.

Wrap it up, asshole!
    Sorry, this is far longer than it should have been. I just wanted to be self-indulgent and have one last purging of the system before I take off for good. And I don't intend to be back, not even for a chat or five. I'm not leaving for WoW -- that's something like quitting snorting morphine so you can shoot heroin. I'm quitting for, "Wow, there's sunlight outside," and "Wow, there are a lot of great books I've never read," and "Wow, teenagers in spaceships depress the shit out of me." Har har. It's all fun and games until you're in your mid 20's and still playing the ship game. Time to get on with life, whatever that may be. I've found a way to live while working very little and thinking a lot, and I think that makes me an Ass. No, really, I'd care to become a writer, though probably at this point fiction is quite out of the question. Maybe not. I don't think you care that much, though. At this point I'm getting sick of my inner voice babbling anyhow. So.

THANKS
    to the good people of the Trench Wars. I've enjoyed, you know, shipping and importing and exporting with you. Please strongly consider getting off this game. Right now, just on a whim, go delete the executable files. I don't care if you reinstall them an hour later. If we ever had a decent conversation, if you ever enjoyed any of the work I've done, or if you're just fed up with the way a video game can dominate some parts of your life as I am (was?), please just delete the EXE right now, lady or gentleman. I'll love you in the space of reality, or the collective that passes for it.

If you need to contact me, some people know my email, I think.

Anyway, take care of yourselves. The ship is ready to sail, but there's always room for one more. (We can cuddle.)

Yours forever,
    Geoff Dugwyler
    ex-qan
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

:fear: things are gonna be different....

All the best in your in you ss free life Qan - ya finally off the crack!
    Last edited by Doc Flabby; 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM.
    Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
    Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

You've been saying you wanted to do this for a long time and while I'm sad to see you go I'm glad that you're finally doing what you feel is right. Take care, I'm sure I'll think of some more wacky philosophical conversations to carry on through whatever medium presents itself.
      Last edited by D1st0rt; 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM.
      USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

I respect you Qan for your honesty and hard work for this zone, we all need a change in our life at some point and if your heart wasn't in it anymore this is only for the better.
        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

It always sucks to see the solid developers quit. Take care.

Comment

:-/ have fun in real life... I heard it's scary out there. In all seriousness though, you were an awesome guy, we may not have agreed on everything all the time, but I would personally like to thank you for all you have done for me in the time that we knew eachother.
            Ban Ikrit

Comment

Bye qan, it sucks that your leaving. However, you have done this .... twice (or maybe only once,) and then you come back right quick. So personally, I hope you really quit for good this time and start reading those books you keep saying you want to.
              Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
              Message has been sent to online moderators
              2:BLeeN> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>no
              2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
              2:BLeeN> ok then no
              :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

qan, were gonna miss ya, i appreciate everything uve done for TW. We've had some chats now and then and it was pleasant getting to know you. Good luck in your quest of life. Get out there and enjoy it! Adios

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by qan
                    THANKS
                    to the good people of the Trench Wars. I've enjoyed, you know, shipping and importing and exporting with you. Please strongly consider getting off this game. Right now, just on a whim, go delete the executable files. I don't care if you reinstall them an hour later. If we ever had a decent conversation, if you ever enjoyed any of the work I've done, or if you're just fed up with the way a video game can dominate some parts of your life as I am (was?), please just delete the EXE right now, lady or gentleman. I'll love you in the space of reality, or the collective that passes for it.

If you need to contact me, some people know my email, I think.

Anyway, take care of yourselves. The ship is ready to sail, but there's always room for one more. (We can cuddle.)

Yours forever,
                    Geoff Dugwyler
                    ex-qan
                    Way ahead of you

Thanks for everything that you put into the zone and good luck with your writing career ^_^.

Any chance of popping up on the forums where everything isn't quite so bad?

Comment

Faretheewell, qan.

Originally posted by Disliked
                      Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                      +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Peace out, Qan, and thx for not bashing me in the goodbye.
                        DELETED

Comment

aw bye qan..if your book ever publishes..i'll buy a copy..meep..chattie later
                          >^________^<!

Comment

bye, even though we never met in-game, i saw the work you put into the game in the bots, and in the news, and all that good stuff. it's well put what you wanted said, best wishes.
                            thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Best. Twisted. Player. Ever.

If not in talent you made up for it in spirit.

Qan, I'll be missin' ya buddy because you're such a nice guy, but I'm glad that you're doing what you wanted and I hope you succeed in life and what not. Buhbye.
                              Originally posted by turmio
                              jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                              Originally posted by grand
                              I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Working...
                              X