This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial terms, in context.

I don't recall ever, in my 4-5 years of playing Subspace, complaining about any that is related to the way our staff run this zone--but I have to admit that I am suprised at the thing I was warned for this night.

I personally think that the way that our staff bans people on using the term "jew", "jewish", or anything of the like needs to be looked into farther. I was in the arena ?go javs and was talking to someone about WWII flicks. In the conversations, I recommended the movie "Europa, Europa." As someone would usually do in when recommending a film, I descriped the plot of the movie. A Jew in the midst of WWII disguises himself as a Hitler youth in order to survive.

I was warned for racism for this subject. I do not understand how I could possibly be, being racist at all. I am in fact half Jewish. I enjoy the movie greatly and, I believe, it is against the entire system of the racism "Europa, Europa" is and actually helps bring a bridge between German and Jewish societies.

Jew in it self is not necessarily racial. It depends on the context, but if someone takes offense to what I said--that person is very uniformed.

It is not necessary to say who warned me, but I do believe that there needs be reform in what you guys consider to be racism--before someone gets banned for something very unneccessary.

This whole thing unsettled me greatly. I hope that I get a better explaination for why I was warned.

MODERATOR WARNING: Racism is not tolerated in Trench Wars. Don't be racial again or you'll get banned from this zone. Don't use the word "jew" in this zone.

edit: here is the movie-
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/
    Last edited by Jonesy; 03-18-2006, 09:48 AM.

Jew is just an ordinary word, so is the N word. I don't get all this racism thing either. It's silly.

I'm not seeing anyone gettin' banned if they say "stfu christian" or something, but just like Jones said, mentionin jew when talking about a good movie makes you get a warning. What is this?

I don't know what are the "illegal" words, and i don't really know how anyone could be insulted if someone calls you with the N word or the J word, or anything. This is a god damn internet game. Get a life if you cry over an internet because someone called you black. And why cry for it if you really are black, doesn't matter.

This is starting to get out of hands.
    -Kawrae

Comment

My teachers say "jew" and ya don't see anyone warning and banning them!!! so it shouldn't apply here... we're all mature ppl and can handle the word "jew"
      TWLD Season 8 Champion: -FINAL-
      TWLJ Season 9 CHampion: Syndicate

Goddess> i haven't had sex in over 5 years now because i'm waiting for someone who's worth marrying ... which will most likely never happen so i figure ima be a nun without catholism

Colonel> rofl.. goddess hasn't had sex in 5 years because thats how long its been since someone has actually been able to find her cooch

Comment

If that is truly what happened, I don't see any need for you being warned. However, if you followed it up with something that could be considered racist, then it's not ok, even if in the follow up you didn't use the word "jew."

BTW, where in Ohio do you live?
        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
        1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
        1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
        1:Chao <ER>> at all
        1:Mantra-Slider> chao
        1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
        Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Sounds to me like they got an autowarning about the word Jew and sent a straight warning without finding out what you'd said in the first place.

Do they get notification every single time the word Jew is said? It might be highly amusing to start perfectly normal conversations in every arena using the word Jew and see how annoyed staff get with the notifications....
          STARKITTY
          A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

in that context the mod warning is completely wrong

i'm against racism but as you've said its about context and you can't have it that saying Jew=warning
            In my world,
            I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kawrae
              Jew is just an ordinary word, so is the N word. I don't get all this racism thing either. It's silly.

I'm not seeing anyone gettin' banned if they say "stfu christian" or something, but just like Jones said, mentionin jew when talking about a good movie makes you get a warning. What is this?

I don't know what are the "illegal" words, and i don't really know how anyone could be insulted if someone calls you with the N word or the J word, or anything. This is a god damn internet game. Get a life if you cry over an internet because someone called you black. And why cry for it if you really are black, doesn't matter.

You apparently don't get the point of what "context" means. Saying "stfu christian" and just saying "this is a film about a christian" are two different contexts, and it's the same if you substituted "jew" in for "christian". Jonesy is talking about the use of racial terms in context.

I don't know why people have a hard time understanding the concept of context. It's not just about words, it's about the meaning of the words and how they are used that's important. I'm not just talking about regular players that don't get the concept, but staff too. I've always opposed the automated racism warnings because they don't take context into consideration. Racism is a complex issue that a bot just cannot comprehend. It's the exact same thing with the automated TK warnings. If you watch what's going on, you can tell when a teamkill is an accident and when it deserves a warning; use of racial terms is the same. People try to make racism to be a bigger deal than it is, but I've alway said that it should be taken on the same level as any other rule, and TK-ing is a good comparable. If you think about it on that level, it should be much easier to understand.

And being on the Internet doesn't make racism any less of an issue either. If you aren't offended by racism, then you can consider yourself lucky. If you don't understand how others can be offended by racism, then you're just being ignorant.

Jonesy's story is an example of things getting out of hand, you've got that right. Your understanding of why that is, however, needs some work.

Comment

My friend the other day was asking about racial terms, and wondered if saying negro would get him banned, and i said no, negro is not racist, though of course,
                the "n" word, and i spelt it ****** is racist, and i got warned.
                1:abbot> i think i played well
                1:brookus> abbot last time i checked YOU lost
                1:brookus> so im going to say that YOU sucked as well

7:Sleuth> HOW DO YOU FUCKS SAY CRACKER
                7:Vue> WE SAY CRACKER
                7:Vue> U DIPSHIT

7:Rampage Jackson> wtf are you guys drunk or 15?
                7:Vue> lol jackson when sleuth is online everyone becomes 15

oar> i got rejected from Stray
                oar> and both of their caps are on my personal chat
                oar> but its ok

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy
                  I don\'t recall ever, in my 4-5 years of playing Subspace, complaining about any that is related to the way our staff run this zone--but I have to admit that I am suprised at the thing I was warned for this night.

I personally think that the way that our staff bans people on using the term \"jew\", \"jewish\", or anything of the like needs to be looked into farther. I was in the arena ?go javs and was talking to someone about WWII flicks. In the conversations, I recommended the movie \"Europa, Europa.\" As someone would usually do in when recommending a film, I descriped the plot of the movie. A Jew in the midst of WWII disguises himself as a Hitler youth in order to survive.

I was warned for racism for this subject. I do not understand how I could possibly be, being racist at all. I am in fact half Jewish. I enjoy the movie greatly and, I believe, it is against the entire system of the racism \"Europa, Europa\" is and actually helps bring a bridge between German and Jewish societies.

Jew in it self is not necessarily racial. It depends on the context, but if someone takes offense to what I said--that person is very uniformed.

It is not necessary to say who warned me, but I do believe that there needs be reform in what you guys consider to be racism--before someone gets banned for something very unneccessary.

This whole thing unsettled me greatly. I hope that I get a better explaination for why I was warned.

MODERATOR WARNING: Racism is not tolerated in Trench Wars. Don\'t be racial again or you\'ll get banned from this zone. Don\'t use the word \"jew\" in this zone.

edit: here is the movie-
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/

Save it for the squad chat Divine. -Kolar
                  Last edited by Kolar; 03-18-2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StarKitty
                    Sounds to me like they got an autowarning about the word Jew and sent a straight warning without finding out what you'd said in the first place.

Do they get notification every single time the word Jew is said? It might be highly amusing to start perfectly normal conversations in every arena using the word Jew and see how annoyed staff get with the notifications....
                    From what i've been told, pubbots that are turned on send notifications when the n-word, or other racial words are said and it sends it into staff chat
                    1:Hydride> who we play next week
                    1:ReNdErED> Pandora
                    1:ReNdErED> gulp
                    1:ReNdErED> if i see Ease im shiftin across map

1:Hydride> best feeling EVER
                    1:Hydride> its like if you get sacked and when the pain goes away feeling x 999999999999999999999999
                    1:cranium> uve obviously never fucked a plastic bag filled with jelly inbetween the couch cushions
                    1:menelvagor> ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL
                    1:cranium> talk about a feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Kawrae

The N word is not a regular word. Its a word our society's brought up to condescend on people of african descent.

Maybe europeans have got something lost in translation when trying to comprehend what is racist / discriminatory and what is not.
                      ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                      Failure teaches success.
                      . â–²
                      ▲ ▲

Comment

Originally posted by Pandagirl!
                        If that is truly what happened, I don't see any need for you being warned. However, if you followed it up with something that could be considered racist, then it's not ok, even if in the follow up you didn't use the word "jew."

BTW, where in Ohio do you live?
                        That is all that was said, and I am from the Cincinnati area.

Comment

I said N*GGER once after asmodeus told me you could say racist words so long as there was no racial implication.

I said "what a n*gger day" to imply "what a politically deprived day"... fucking n*ggers banned me for three days.
                          Kthx> Does JB Inc pay his child support with pub bux?

Undisputed Pre-Menstral Super-Bitch Internet Kickboxing Champion 2005

Comment

I'm another one who doesn't give a fuck if ppl say ******, jew, fag, or whatever... don't care in the slightest... and if there's one thing that annoys me more than anything else: it's people who don't think the same as me!

Edit: And why the fuck does this forum filter out words, what happenned to freedom of speech? Stupid ******s.
                            Last edited by Rab; 03-18-2006, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Jonesy: I'm sure if you talk to Rudy you can get the warning or ban removed.

Everyone else: Context matters but so does the effect of using those words weather you meant to offend anyone or not and the need to use these words is less important then the potential to actually offending and hurt someone. Freedom of speach does not mean I can say whatever I want as many people believe it to be. That freedom also comes with responsibility. Too many people are caught up in these preceptions that no one even listens to each other, they only think getting what they want to say out louder, faster and more extreme then the next guy is more important then listening to the guy next to you. I know it's a online forum, I know it's just a game but until everyone here decides to give up on it I'll enforce the rules and challenge anyone who wants to be racist or act like it's isn't a real issue, online or not.

We don't need more people playing games and saying bullshit like "what if there are no black people here?!". Hate, Ignorance, and Apathy should bother us all and because the better half of this community is still stuck in their old ways I am going to close this thread, I suggest you read over what I said and think about it, there's no need for another thread or further discussion.

Closed. I'm disapointed in a lot of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X