?obscene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?obscene

I remember posting about this quite a while back, but I was just wondering what the general consensus on this is.

Some of you know this already, some of you probably don't. But in Trench Wars, ?obscene is automatically turned on whether it's set to "on" or "off" in your Continuum options.

If anything is said with a swear word, or any racist term, ?obscene simply stops that line from being shown (except in red chats). This is extremely annoying, as most people in the zone don't know it's on, so don't think to turn it off.

I am aware it's there for a reason, but is it really a good reason? I'm pretty sure that the majority of the players in this zone are not offended by the words fuck, shit or fag. Also, quite often, it will block a perfectly innocent sentence, as there'll be an obscene word "hidden" in it. Like if I said "Steve says hi to you!", it would be blocked.

Why cater for the minority? It should be up to people who ARE offended to turn it on, rather than those who aren't to turn it off.

For the time being, for those that don't know, here's two ways to work around it:

- Go into your view, options, chat. And turn ON ?obscene. Then go into the profile screen, and put ?obscene in auto. This means that in zones where obscene is not forced, it will still be turning it off, rather than turning it on.

- Alternatively, you could create seperate profiles (with the same username) for different zones, only putting the ?obscene auto command in the one you use in TW.

Of course, if you don't play any other zones, you can just do the auto step.

I can currently think of two solutions:

- Turn off forced obscene. If people are offended, they can turn it on, but it's not wise to have it on automatically, especially as many people don't know it's already on.

- Make the filter less strict. Let it still filter words just as n****r, but don't bother filtering swear words such as fuck and shit.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Originally posted by Ewan
    Why cater for the minority? It should be up to people who ARE offended to turn it on, rather than those who aren't to turn it off.
    Agreed, this is how it should be.

Comment

Other zones don't have ?obscene automated, why should TW?
      Erathia> IF YOU SPIDERS CONTINUE CAMPING I WILL BAN YOU AND CALL IT RACISM

SeRtIfi> What's the point of going out with friends everyday just to hang out when I meet them in school and sometimes on weekends anyways, if I can play in SubSpace with them?

Comment

i agree

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan

It's the American way. But I agree with you.

Comment

perhaps instead of removing ?obscene the idealist TW staff will count on EVERYONE TO STOP SWEARING!

who's with me!!?!?
            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Spikester
              Other zones don't have ?obscene automated, why should TW?
              Dumb, why must we follow what other zones are doing?
              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
              Failure teaches success.
              . â–²
              ▲ ▲

Comment

Intelligent conversations require obscenity, you can't expect people to keep typing ?obscene everytime they start up ss.
                "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

I agree, let those people who are offended by the language turn them ?onscene on. I probably missed alot of important PMs because of it
                  1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
                  1:Cower> Sword
                  1:Kthx> ok
                  1:Cower> Axe
                  1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
                  1:Cower> ?
                  1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

given the fact that so-called "cuss words" have found their way into the common vernacular, i agree with removing the automatic obscene filter
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Just put obscene on auto... that's what I do. Although I do agree, it is pretty dumb.
                      Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                      1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                      1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                      1:Chao <ER>> at all
                      1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                      1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                      Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                      Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

wait u mean all the times i've said the word fuck or shit the whole sentence wasnt shown? fuck sakes...thats a lot of shit that people haven't recieved.
                        the price is right, bitch.

Comment

fuck i didnt even know it that existed

no wonder people just ignore me
                          Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                          Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

"Shit" isn't blocked by the filter.

And I give this thread about one more hour before Troll King the Human Filibuster comes and writes an essay on how, instead of common sense prevailing and the filter being removed by default, it would be more productive for us to just not say cock, fuck or bitch at all.

LOGIC.
                            Originally posted by Tone
                            It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                            Originally posted by the_paul
                            Gargle battery acid fuckface
                            Originally posted by Material Girl
                            I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

If you disagree with any of my arguments, then don't just dismiss them, discuss them. People never have anything to say, instead finding it easier just to call it filibuster or nonsense, and usually in a later thread. Most people usually find I make a lot of sense and use a lot of logic, so it's odd you use those words against me.

Comment

Working...
                              X