Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dude,wheres my obscenities

Originally posted by Ewan
    I remember posting about this quite a while back, but I was just wondering what the general consensus on this is.

Some of you know this already, some of you probably don't. But in Trench Wars, ?obscene is automatically turned on whether it's set to "on" or "off" in your Continuum options.

If anything is said with a swear word, or any racist term, ?obscene simply stops that line from being shown (except in red chats). This is extremely annoying, as most people in the zone don't know it's on, so don't think to turn it off.

I am aware it's there for a reason, but is it really a good reason? I'm pretty sure that the majority of the players in this zone are not offended by the words fuck, shit or fag. Also, quite often, it will block a perfectly innocent sentence, as there'll be an obscene word "hidden" in it. Like if I said "Steve says hi to you!", it would be blocked.

Why cater for the minority? It should be up to people who ARE offended to turn it on, rather than those who aren't to turn it off.

For the time being, for those that don't know, here's two ways to work around it:

- Go into your view, options, chat. And turn ON ?obscene. Then go into the profile screen, and put ?obscene in auto. This means that in zones where obscene is not forced, it will still be turning it off, rather than turning it on.

- Alternatively, you could create seperate profiles (with the same username) for different zones, only putting the ?obscene auto command in the one you use in TW.

Of course, if you don't play any other zones, you can just do the auto step.

I can currently think of two solutions:

- Turn off forced obscene. If people are offended, they can turn it on, but it's not wise to have it on automatically, especially as many people don't know it's already on.

- Make the filter less strict. Let it still filter words just as n****r, but don't bother filtering swear words such as fuck and shit.
    I agree Ewan
    having obscene on automatically is discriminatory to those of us who thrive on profanity.
    :wub: 1:qan> I'm the only ZH here :( got it

1:Kyace <ER>> "DangerGirl> I want Warlok to take off some clothes!" ?

5:Little Slick> War is not afk
    5:Little Slick> he's just watching us
    5:Heroin Bob> lol
    5:Little Slick> doesnt say a word
    5:Heroin Bob> creepy

Comment

i just put ?obscene in my Automated thing in my profile, so that everytime i log in it automatically does ?obscene to turn it off
      Big Chill

Comment

Better yet, whats the point of staff banning people for saying racial words if ?obscene picks them up anyway?

IE, if a certain trouble word "offends" (or staff thinks it does) people, add it to the ?obscene list and let it do its job.

Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGod
          Better yet, whats the point of staff banning people for saying racial words if ?obscene picks them up anyway?

IE, if a certain trouble word "offends" (or staff thinks it does) people, add it to the ?obscene list and let it do its job.

Seriously.
          The obscene filter does not catch all words and is rarely (if ever) updated. Most people, if they want to be asshole racists or do something illegal... will always find a way around filters and the rules so we will always need Moderators to deal with them.

We should drop it, let people use it if they want but not have it automaticly turned on.
          Last edited by Kolar; 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
            The obscene filter does not catch all words and is rarely (if ever) updated. Most people, if they want to be asshole racists or do something illegal... will always find a way around filters and the rules so we will always need Moderators to deal with them.

We should drop it, let people use it if they want but not have it automaticly turned on.
            But the obscene filter does catch certain words, and it could easily be set to block the same words that the bots pick up and report.

Ta-da, thats all you need for the bot-reports-you-for-racism problem. If youre offended by it, keep ?obscene on. Otherwise, why should staff protect you? Its your choice to turn ?obscene off... face the responsibility.

Staff: not everyone in this game is a little kid that needs to be protected. if they want to turn off the "parental controls" (which staff is so adamant about), let them be and have them face their own problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RednaZ
              Intelligent conversations require obscenity
              contrary to popular belief, no
              Originally posted by Ward
              OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

yeah, what a stupid fuck!

Comment

when i first started playing i didnt know there was even such a command..and when i turned it off thats when id see words like F..and B and S and D and all that stuff today..its pretty nice though :/
                  >^________^<!

Comment

But the obscene filter does catch certain words, and it could easily be set to block the same words that the bots pick up and report.

Ta-da, thats all you need for the bot-reports-you-for-racism problem. If youre offended by it, keep ?obscene on. Otherwise, why should staff protect you? Its your choice to turn ?obscene off... face the responsibility.

Staff: not everyone in this game is a little kid that needs to be protected. if they want to turn off the "parental controls" (which staff is so adamant about), let them be and have them face their own problems.
                    1: That list is almost never updated and does not catch most of it currently.

2: People will bypass these filters using different chars.

3: It should be off automaticly.

4: A majority of our population is underage.

5: Our racism policy is not only about protecting children.

Comment

A crap filter is no replacement for proper moderation.
                      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                        1: That list is almost never updated and does not catch most of it currently.

2: People will bypass these filters using different chars.

3: It should be off automaticly.

4: A majority of our population is underage.

5: Our racism policy is not only about protecting children.
                        1. Why not?

2. People can bypass the bots by doing the same thing, yet we still keep them around.

3. Add ?obscene to your auto commands on connect

4. And? I'm advocating that staff use ?obscene like its meant to be used and get rid of the stupid bots that cause headaches for people.

5. Anyone who is offended by racism is either looking for attention, is insecure deep down inside, or is a child on the inside.

I'm not trying to get rid of the racism policy, I'm just trying to get rid of those annoying bots.

Comment

5. Anyone who is offended by racism is either looking for attention, is insecure deep down inside, or is a child on the inside.
                          ok

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                            ok
                            OK

Comment

1. Why not?

2. People can bypass the bots by doing the same thing, yet we still keep them around.

3. Add ?obscene to your auto commands on connect

4. And? I'm advocating that staff use ?obscene like its meant to be used and get rid of the stupid bots that cause headaches for people.

I'm not trying to get rid of the racism policy, I'm just trying to get rid of those annoying bots.
                              We need a Sysop to be on updating it (not going to happen plus people bypass the filter and bot reporting, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't enforce the policy). Moderators and the bots are needed, staffers don't wait on a bot to call it in. We (moderators) are out there, taking cheater calls for racism, being in active points in the zone. The bot only causes problems for those wanting to break the rules. I don't see how the bot annoy you or anyone?? They report to staffers when racism is used most of the time spamming the shit out of staff chat.

Comment

maybe continuum is designed for a lower-aged audience than it actually reaches. the forbidden list of trench wars is, as I've heard, beyond extensive.

besides:

5 years and I've never had a problem with it.
                                Last edited by glacier; 04-25-2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X