?go baseelim changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?go baseelim changes

What are everyones thoughts on this new "map".
    And by new map I mean a few more holes, and the Incredible Hulk themed tileset.

If this was an attempt to bring in more players, this is only going to work for a very limited time. You should of had a massive development poll done to see what people would of liked to see change, instead of this stab in the dark.

Watching the reactions from the arena in use, people are not that fond of the new setup. The old map had no problems, it was in use for a very long time, and it was popular. It's not the map choosing how many people are playing, it's the players. Turning it green isn't going to change that.

It should revert back to the old map, as this is nothing more than a flash in the pan that is going to be forgotten about in a matter of weeks, if not even sooner.

On another note, some people have also brought up the fact of the usage hours in the elimination arenas. These are in place partially to stop the 50,000 aliases in use throughout elim. As the problem with this is apparent, the solution with the hours wasn't changing much, people are just idling for 36 hours, and they're back at it. We could probably push a 25% increase in population of these arenas by removing an hour usage lock, since more people might be urged to play it with more names, and get back into things, this would at least push competition up a ways, since if they're using multiple nicknames, they're also probably trying to rank with them.

All in all, what is everyones thoughts on the new baseelim arena? I personally don't see this as any step forward. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Thoughts and comments:
    -Cyber Strike
    Former TW SMod

its perfect.. just put shrap back with it and all will be well

CITIZENS OF TW FO THE REINSTATEMENT OF SHRAPNEL
    Quoting is the highest form of flattery ...

The mouth that holds the tongue that rocks your world... rules the world

PjOtTeR> I should change my name to horny gypsy humper

saying Goddess name is like saying Voldemort in the Harry Potter World. She-who-must-not-be-named is fucking Taboo

Comment

You might be correct on that the player population which now increased because of the mapchange, might not last for long, but for now it's the "best" we can do.

TW Players instead of the TW Staff and TWDev alone should bring up these "polls" about how to make a map better and more popular, to get more players and attention etc.

There was a bit of a chat in TWDev about how to revive the dead baseelim state - The best idea (SO FAR) was thought that the arena would be changed.

2 Maps were submitted as Aquatiq has said multiple times, and the better one, which in your and some others opinion may not be that of a good, was chosen, and uploaded to TW.

If it's so big of a problem, the new baseelim map, then bring up more ideas how to improve baseelim (EDIT: Or make another map and send it to TWMaps@gmail.com) and its dead state instead of letting it be not used 24/7 for years.

Before the map change, it was played about, let me throw a random amount, 5 hours a day, when it should be used all the time, non-stop, so people can have some practice and fun in there, instead of 1 person waiting for hours for another person to step in the arena, and then after 2 minutes, leave because there is no others.

About the usage restriction, I dont find any problem with it. Yes, the restriction might be there for aliased players, but the rankers doesnt matter. That's why there are rankings to see who is the best of the best, even if everyone doesnt rank. The newer players however, if they dont have anyone telling them, no clue about any baseelim or elim arenas before they have played 36 hours, and after that they will start exploring new systems and gamestyles from the zone.
      3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
      3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
      3:i.d.> da fk is that?
      3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
      3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
      3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
      3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
      3:Shadowmere> LOL
      3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
      Shadowmere> Rofl
      Up in ya !> With his feet
      Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
      Up in ya !> l44t feet
      Deft> l44t f44t*
      Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
      Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

From a thread I made in the priv staff forum:

I don't know if this is a trial or permanent... but here are my 2 cents about the new belim map.

Well firstly, it's just awkward to play. I know some of you play belim regularly, some of you don't. But one of the main things is that you know the map. The reason that this one is really awkward to play, is that it has the same layout as the old map, and the objects (I hope you know what I mean by objects, such as those _| bits) are very similar, however this is the problem. They are SIMILAR but not the same, because of this, you kinda expect to be able to play them as if they were the old ones, but you only notice the slight difference too late.

It's kinda hard what I am trying to explain here.

Well anyway, I think it's either best to keep the Belim map how it was, or change it so it's pretty different from the old one. But this half-way house is too similar to make it fun, it's just... awkward.
        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
        ---A few minutes later---
        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
        9:Kim> UM
        9:Kim> i didn't
        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

It may be the case that's the best choice for now, a new map, but this isn't really a solution as it is just a bandaid for the situation. The old map was fine. The way it was pushed at the community may be the problem here.

Ewan is right about where he is going with his point as well, the map is quite similiar - but different. This is going to hurt people who have played the same map for YEARS for no real apparent reason.

If baseelim is dying, it should almost revert back to what it was BEFORE: one unified arena ?go elim

At least then the competition was more real. Now it's just a sanctioned ranking system. One arena with the voting would make things interesting again, and even if it didn't bring statistics back to javelin arenas, it's still going to be easier to push a single arena than a dual ranking structure.

Either we change it to something dramatic, which might deter more people than anything, since it'll be a completely NEW thing, regardless of the players are new or not, it's not going to help them any, or we leave it the same.

The map worked for a very long time, no point is throwing colours at it. Again this is just my opinion, and this thread is for the thoughts of the community as a whole.

Carry on with the discussion, and thanks for the feedback as of so far.
          -Cyber Strike
          Former TW SMod

Comment

I have to agree with Strike here.

I'm just wondering why a baser made a map for duelers, isn't it better to let a jav dueler make the map coz he knows what he is doing...? no?

And why wasn't this made public? I'm sure u could have get more then 2 maps.
            SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
            SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
            Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
            Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
            1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
            1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

ok here is what's up:

1.) The whole idea of unifying an elim is out of the question. The thing is, we just can't do it anymore without abandoning robo. We would have to use a new bot altogether. Reasons I will not dive into.

2.) The new baseelim map sucks. I've voiced my opinion very strongly. However, I do believe we need a new map as people are pretty much bored of the old one. Perhaps we can rotate maps every month and keep it ongoing. Warbirds will be warbirds, but javs require a little more stimulation imo. That is why, if you think you can make a better baseelim map, go for it. Submit it and we'll tell you what's up.

3.) The new map is only temporary and will get changed. There is really no point for it. Don't worry.

4.) Removing the 36 hour rule is good. I believe we should even go as far as removing the res cap. There's no point anymore, but it does even the playing field a little bit. Only a little.

So, Your homework: Make a new baseelim map or stfu.

Thanks,

CraZi
              1:Randedl> dude, if you ever spam out again during a game i'm benching you forever heh

5:Attila> then i sell windows vista and mac os's and stuff
              5:Attila> its good drinkin money :/
              5:crazi> u gonna be drinking cocks when they lock u up
              5:Crazy> cockmeat sandwiches
              5:Attila> :\
              5:crazi> dont forget the appetizer
              5:Crazy> jizz rag soup?
              5:crazi> Seasoned Grade A Meyer's Ranch 100% pure Cock with truffles and a light crab sauce
              5:Attila> u make it sound so yummy

Comment

Keep the res limit. Many people still only have 17in monitors.
                USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                ---A few minutes later---
                9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                9:Kim> UM
                9:Kim> i didn't
                9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by crazi
                  Warbirds will be warbirds, but javs require a little more stimulation imo. That is why, if you think you can make a better baseelim map, go for it. Submit it and we'll tell you what's up.
                  thats absolutely right. i thought when the new regular elim map came in it looked kinda stupid, cause of the random wall pieces floating around, and that one rock on the right side kinda attached to the wall, but it doesnt make much of a difference cause wb's are wb's and the environment doesnt make a huge impact. Javs on the other hand rely heavily on the map that they play on, so the development of that map is very important to them.

As far as criticism on this new map, I think that it is too easy to shoot through the holes on it in what would normally be hard shots, and that it may be a bit too open. What i do like is that the flag room is now open, even though I dont think many people will use it. That area just seemed dumb to me before

EDIT: if a new map will keep you javers locked away in baseelim on weekends instead of in tourny spamming 7 im all for it. The last thing this game needs though is a unified elim arena. why make elimmers suffer cause there isnt enough interest in javs?
                  Last edited by Izor; 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM.
                  I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                  I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

If you're changing the map, change it, don't kinda change it, flat out make it completly different.

The tileset isn't very nice, but who cares that much.

Suggestions to bring life back to baseelim

-Reintroudce shrap for awhile
                    -remove usage block (i question how much this will help, but it won't hurt at this point in time)
                    -perhaps mention the current top 5 elimers/belimers on tw tw.org website? you'd be surprised how hard people will try to try to earn a spot in 'history'
                    The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                    All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
                      Keep the res limit. Many people still only have 17in monitors.

yes keep it plz
                      SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                      SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                      Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                      Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                      1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                      1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Shrap seems almost wasteful too. That'll stop a lot of what was worked for when it was removed originally. The hour cap is quite pointless now, agreed. The resolution thing should stay the same, it's worked to date.

As long as something gets figured out, but as of right now this is a step backwards for baseelim it appears.
                        -Cyber Strike
                        Former TW SMod

Comment

I think it's just a step sideways.
                          The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                          All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

For your information we did not do any choosing as far as the this map is concerened. omnigod had send in a map earlier and the only thing was half his map was correct because when he flipped the image the tiles didnt come out right and i gave him time to fix and re-send which i still didnt get ..and PL wanted a new belim map and the one we had ready was the one Aquatiq made
                            >^________^<!

Comment

havent people already submited a map won a poll and still nothing has been done

?go baseelim3 for example
                              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X