No announcement yet.

zone banning rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry that I have to spend a total of no less than 13 of the 24 hours in a day sleeping and working. It must be a real inconvenience for those who disregard zone rules and want to complain to somone immediately about being caught!

I can understand the justification for creating a propellant soaked thread if I hadn't replied to your mail at all, like I did with Israeli (for which I must apologise to the rest of you). However, that is not the case here. So stiff shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Izor
      Thats such bullshit lol. I know not one person who doesnt generalize others. Whether it be by race or by what they wear. Its pretty much instinct to judge someone and lump them in a category when you see them. Emo, punk, etc. Problem is, when someone tries to apply a negative generalization or stereotype based on race, people like you think that its 'immoral'. Also, if I were to say 'damn those black people make good athletes' who would ban me for that? Although I'm still applying a stereotype to a race, apparently this is 'moral' behavior, even though it in turn is saying that other races arent good enough physically. So before you act like you're some kind of model citizen just ask yourself if you've really never judged a book by its cover.
      While it is true that generalizations are not good things, saying the N word is more akin to a hate crime.
      If you beat a black person up to steal from him, it is assult and battery. If you beat a black person up to send a message, it is a hate crime and considered more serious. A hate crime impacts society by sending that 'intolerance' message. The N word epitomizes that kind of intolerance and discrimination and is widely recognized as a word that can be used to send that message.

So while true that sweeping generalizations are not good things and can indicate biases, using the N word is normally considered as an intential attempt to 'stir the pot'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral
        While it is true that generalizations are not good things, saying the N word is more akin to a hate crime.
        If you beat a black person up to steal from him, it is assult and battery. If you beat a black person up to send a message, it is a hate crime and considered more serious. A hate crime impacts society by sending that 'intolerance' message. The N word epitomizes that kind of intolerance and discrimination and is widely recognized as a word that can be used to send that message.

So while true that sweeping generalizations are not good things and can indicate biases, using the N word is normally considered as an intential attempt to 'stir the pot'.
        Quoted for truth. Izor, a "positive" stereotype is a stereotype nonetheless. Also, there is a difference between generalizing someone in your head and saying it out loud, and a difference between generalizing someone's appearance in your head (an instinct) and saying a racially insensitive remark. People who are mature are capable of controlling what they say so as not to offend others, even if they feel differently inside their mind. People who are morally developed are capable of reasoning to themselves that "hey, that's stereotypical, racist, and untrue. shame on myself for letting such a thought even enter my mind." And calling someone a racist term is much different than calling someone "emo" or an insult of a similar calibur. A race or orientation is not something you can choose, but something you are born with. Dressing up in emo/punk/whatever type of clothing is not the same. Not that there's anything wrong with dressing in whatever type of clothes you like. Please use punctuation next time, as your thought was a run-on sentence and very difficult for me to read. If we're going to discuss an important issue, why not do so rationally?
        1: hed> does aquatiq go to your school
        1: oar> yeah
        1: hed> go talk to her and be like "baby, lemme get those digits"
        1: hed> and after dinner
        1: hed> "howbout you unban apt"

7: flared> so me and my friends talked shit back to him
        7: flared> THEN we find out he's in the crips

3: oar> do you like strawberry shortcake?
        3: Nimesh> my sis does
        3: oar> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erry+shortcake

Comment

rudy Im not attacking staff i think the no racism rule is a good one im just saying that some of the bans are a little bit overboard and i thanked u a bunch of times for ur help with this because i think ur a great staff member that listens to reason... the point of this thread is to change the rules a bit so stuff like the doesn't keep happening..

Comment

I'm against changing the rules on the racism issue. It is fine the way it is.

Originally posted by mouse
            rudy Im not attacking staff i think the no racism rule is a good one im just saying that some of the bans are a little bit overboard and i thanked u a bunch of times for ur help with this ... the point of this thread is to change the rules a bit so stuff like the doesn't always happen...
            So you agree with the rule, but when it is actually put in play (on you), you don't agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp
              I'm against changing the rules on the racism issue. It is fine the way it is.

So you agree with the rule, but when it is actually put in play (on you), you don't agree?

I think he's saying sometimes he thinks bans are tossed out rather prematurely and without looking at the individual situation. (because, it's "only for a couple days" ;/)
              help: (qg) (javs): i think my isp is stealing internet from me.

What's the difference between chopping an onion and chopping a baby? I cry when I chop onions. Type ?go Jav -Chao <ER>
              MegamanEXE> Chao
              MegamanEXE> I came from watching Hockey to say this
              (Sefarius)> ....
              (Hate The Fake)> LOL
              MegamanEXE> You are sick
              MegamanEXE> Good day

Comment

Racism is crap, but so is special threatment like banning for it.
                Only the loyal count.

Comment

Originally posted by IKM
                  Quoted for truth. Izor, a "positive" stereotype is a stereotype nonetheless. Also, there is a difference between generalizing someone in your head and saying it out loud, and a difference between generalizing someone's appearance in your head (an instinct) and saying a racially insensitive remark. People who are mature are capable of controlling what they say so as not to offend others, even if they feel differently inside their mind. People who are morally developed are capable of reasoning to themselves that "hey, that's stereotypical, racist, and untrue. shame on myself for letting such a thought even enter my mind." And calling someone a racist term is much different than calling someone "emo" or an insult of a similar calibur. A race or orientation is not something you can choose, but something you are born with. Dressing up in emo/punk/whatever type of clothing is not the same. Not that there's anything wrong with dressing in whatever type of clothes you like. Please use punctuation next time, as your thought was a run-on sentence and very difficult for me to read. If we're going to discuss an important issue, why not do so rationally?
                  1) I dont have many terrible run-on sentences, although since this isnt English class I dont usually care about the ones I do. Also, I dont see a terrible run-on there

2) lol you're saying black people dont have their own culture now? This is the long-time argument that the term ****** has evolved with our culture and no longer targets all members of the race. I dont know anyone who would go up to an honest working black man and call him a ****** out of hatred for his whole race. But if I see some people come into work and pay with food stamps, I most certainly will be thinking 'Oh look at this fucking ******' and apply most stereotypes.

3) Yes dressing up in emo/gothic clothing is the same, given the definition above. If you think that the word has not evolved over time, then please take your head out of your ass. How else can I describe the culture of people other than '*****s', which is illegal also
                  I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                  I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by IKM
                    Sorry to say, but at least as far as eliminating racism in Trench Wars is concerned, your extremely pretentious and condescending attitude can't do anything but make racism seem MORE appealing because people like you are against it. I'm all about making fun of people's grammar and spelling but I also rarely am trying to advocate a positive cause. In addition, Izor's post wasn't hard to read or understand, you were just being nitpicky to try to belittle him because he disagreed with you. In addition, saying that you're "incredibly morally developed" just makes you sound insane, not like an upstanding person. I agree with what you're saying about racism, for the most part (except for the fact that I know plenty of people that aren't racist in general that use those words all the time, and plenty of people that never use those words but actually find people of other races inferior, and I think there's a distinction there) but the way you express yourself can do nothing but make racism seem cool.
                    5:gen> man
                    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious
                      Sorry to say, but at least as far as eliminating racism in Trench Wars is concerned, your extremely pretentious and condescending attitude can't do anything but make racism seem MORE appealing because people like you are against it. I'm all about making fun of people's grammar and spelling but I also rarely am trying to advocate a positive cause. In addition, Izor's post wasn't hard to read or understand, you were just being nitpicky to try to belittle him because he disagreed with you. In addition, saying that you're "incredibly morally developed" just makes you sound insane, not like an upstanding person. I agree with what you're saying about racism, for the most part (except for the fact that I know plenty of people that aren't racist in general that use those words all the time, and plenty of people that never use those words but actually find people of other races inferior, and I think there's a distinction there) but the way you express yourself can do nothing but make racism seem cool.
                      I'm very well aware that racism is here to stay, but I try to do what I can to lower the amounts of it. And if racism is more appealing to a person just because I'm making a rational argument against it, then so be it. Try to get off your ass and step into the real world and call someone a racist word, and see what happens. Maybe I chose the wrong place to make such a statement, as the maturity level here is set at a pretty low bar, but I will continue to say what I feel. To anyone who's reading this and actually thinks that racism is cool because of the way I approach the topic, you might want to take a good long look at yourself. Also, I am not being nitpicky with Izor. If we are going to have a realistic discussion about racism, why not write well? It's difficult for me to read a run-on sentence (rather, paragraph). Also, using the word "lol" frequently (if at all) does not really show me that Izor is capable of discussing this. If you consider my attitude condescending, then you really need to get your priorities straight. It should only be considered condescending to racists, and should offend noone else. And I do not care if I condescend racists, as they deserve what they get coming at them.

Izor: When did I say that black people don't have their own culture? I would like to see that. And if you're walking up to a black man and want to diss him, don't use a racist word that can (and is interpreted as) apply to an entire race.

"But if I see some people come into work and pay with food stamps, I most certainly will be thinking 'Oh look at this fucking ******' and apply most stereotypes."
                      Does this help your argument at all? Again, you're just reinforcing stereotypes.

3) Yes dressing up in emo/gothic clothing is the same, given the definition above. If you think that the word has not evolved over time, then please take your head out of your ass. How else can I describe the culture of people other than '*****s', which is illegal also
                      I hate to break it to you, but the world hasn't evolved that much. Step outside of the political parameters (say, Washington DC), or head south, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Ever heard of disparate impact? And the N-word is not an adjective for a culture; again, this is an ignorant thought, and does not help your argument at all. And you didn't really seem to understand my point, did you? You can wake up dressed like an emo person, take a shower, get a haircut, buy a suit, go to sleep, wake up, put on your suit, and change your appearance. You can't just wake up and change your skin color, though.

Also, please do not come on the Shoutbox and post racist things. If you had read the rules, you'd notice that they're the same as the TWforums.
                      1: hed> does aquatiq go to your school
                      1: oar> yeah
                      1: hed> go talk to her and be like "baby, lemme get those digits"
                      1: hed> and after dinner
                      1: hed> "howbout you unban apt"

7: flared> so me and my friends talked shit back to him
                      7: flared> THEN we find out he's in the crips

3: oar> do you like strawberry shortcake?
                      3: Nimesh> my sis does
                      3: oar> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erry+shortcake

Comment

Comment

THANKYOU chao thats all i was saying the rule is a good rule racism isn't a good thing but being banned for it so easily is kind of rediculous... if some1 is going aroudn tw calling ppl racist terms ban them ok but for one word in an empty arena by accident is a bit much... Im just trying to adress a problem i see is all

Comment

Originally posted by IKM
                            And if racism is more appealing to a person just because I'm making a rational argument against it, then so be it.
                            Ha, that's what I was wondering. You really have no interest in eliminating racism in TW, you just want to be on your soapbox. Obviously, people who get a huge kick out of saying racial slurs online are immature, stupid, or something else is wrong with them. To someone with any level of intelligence, racial slurs in and of themselves have no comedic value. However, if you think criticizing grammar and being a jerk to these people is going to show them that they're wrong, you really have a few synapses misfiring. If you're only willing to discuss racism with people that meet your grammar standards, you're really not going to end up discussing it with very many racists. So what's the point?

edit: Also, while I don't think at this point it justifies white people using the word, I think there is a large percentage of black people in this day in age that differentiate between "black people" and "******s." The definition of the term IS slowly shifting.
                            5:gen> man
                            5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Originally posted by MousE
                              THANKYOU chao thats all i was saying the rule is a good rule racism isn't a good thing but being banned for it so easily is kind of rediculous... if some1 is going aroudn tw calling ppl racist terms ban them ok but for one word in an empty arena by accident is a bit much... Im just trying to adress a problem i see is all
                              I don't think it's so "ridiculously easy" to get banned for racism. On the contrary, many players, myself included, have gone years without even coming close to it. Missing only two days seems fair to me.

Comment

already HAS shifted, but i dont know terms to differentiate cultures among black people..like white people have emos, goths, preps, nerds, etc. not to say those can only be white..but come on now
                                I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                                I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Working...
                                X