Rant/Funding Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant/Funding Idea

As of late, I'm sure almost everyone who plays Trench Wars has noticed that a funding problem has become evident. For those who aren't in the know, Sonera, the Finland-based company who up until recently has hosted Trench Wars, pulled the plug. Rather than let the zone simply die off due to the fact that it was no longer hosted on a free server, Priit found a server in the United States that could sufficiently handle the same traffic that the Sonera servers did. This, of course, came at a fairly hefty price. If my information is correct, it costs Priit roughly $1000 a month to run the server.

Another debacle that is created is the fact that TW continues to grow. The more it grows, the more bandwidth the server has to handle. For those who are unaware, bandwidth costs money. Increasing bandwidth results in increasing costs.

I began playing Trench Wars in the summer of 2001, and for a year and a half I've been enjoying this game and everything associated with it. I've met great people and had some very fun/entertaining times. Think about it - we're all playing a game that is the equivalent of glorifed online asteroids/galaga. There are other games out where with full 3-d environments, massive online arenas where virtual avatars representing individuals socialize and interact with each other. Yet our small community continues to religiously play a game involving 2 dimension spaceships, shitty graphics, and a simplified IRC chat system. Yet despite all the huge advances in the online gaming genre over the past 5 years, so many of us continue to play this game. For the love of all that is holy, WHY?

I'd like to believe that I know why. The community. If any of you have ever lived in a small town, you will understand me when I say that the two things are comparative. Everyone knows each other. Gossip/Rumors are commonplace. Cliques are formed. The same can't be said for a game such as Everquest/Asheron's Call simply because there are tens of thousands of people playing it. We are a small, concentrated community. We all visit the same general forums. In fact, when you think about it, the Trench Wars community is extremely unique when compared to other online games. While in a game like Everquest there is always some new weapon to obtain or some new quest to complete, in Subspace there aren't always things going on. The game is limited by its simplicity - the fact that games are only played when there are two willing teams. This creates down-time between events, and I feel it is this down-time that makes the TW community as a whole shine. Examples range from the seriousness of Current World Affairs to the light-heartedness of the Pallies movies and various Trench Wars internet Radios. This same down-time is why people will sit back and talk about their favorite childhood cartoon with other players, or new basing strategies with their squadmates. Trench Wars is the game that has brought us all together to form the close-knit community that we are today.

That is why I believe a yearly fee should be charged in order to play on TW, or even perhaps the SSCU server.

Due to the new funding circumstances, it seems only plausible. I sincerely hope you didn't stop reading after the aforementioned paragraph so you could reply with "SCREW THAT! I'LL QUIT BEFORE I'LL PAY!" Hear me out.

Priit is currently paying roughly $1000 a month so we can continue to enjoy this game. While the donations are a good idea (a pat on the back to those who have donated thus far), it isn't the solution. I believe that a yearly fee would solve the funding situation. After all, it isn't fair that we force Priit to pay for our entertainment.

For those who don't want to strangle me yet, I'll elaborate on the numbers:

Lets say that the yearly fee is $15/year. Assuming that the total player base of TW is 1000 (and i could be way off here, if anyone has any kind of concrete number concerning this it would be apperciated), that results in a revenue of $15000 being generated. So let me lay this out. If the server costs $1000/month right now, that dictates that the cost is $12000 for an entire year. Not only would the $15 a year more than cover this, but the additional income would also cover any potential changes/upgrades in the servers/other vital hardware. Well, either that or DoCk> ends up with a brand new moped (kidding).

Now allow me to preach to those of you who maintain the platform of "If I ever had to pay for this game I'd quit right away." I guarantee you that most of you wouldn't. How many of you paid for the Subspace CD when it was released by VIE? I believe the CD cost about $30 at the time. $30 - that's 2 years worth of playing this game if a yearly fee of $15 was in place. Furthermore, even those of you who are 12 with no job could certainly scrape up $15 in 365 days. This game has provided myself with so much entertainment over the past 4 years - I would certainly be willing to shell out $15 a year. Keep in mind that the majority of online games cost by the month.

Clearly, this game and the community that surrounds it is why so many of us continue to play today. Trench Wars is definately an addicting zone as I'm sure a large number of you would attest to. VIE left Subspace to die, and a handful of players (you know who you are) have kept it alive for the past few years. I say it's about time we give them a hand.

Big ups to DoCk>,

Pearlus Jammus
    Last edited by Pearl Jam; 02-09-2003, 09:38 PM.
    PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Your VIE example is lacking. When the servers shut down, a large number of people did quit. And by large, I mean the near majority until the Fins brought back the servers. In order for 15$ a month to suffice all server hosting and maintenance needs, everyone (under the theory that there are at least 900 players) would have to contribute. Whether you want to believe this or not, when this game goes pay-to-play, ALOT of people will leave. Even if all the active members from the many squads currently in TWD make payments (hypothetically, the people involved in these forums who care about the progression and welfare of TW), it will still not cover the fees at hand.

Not a good idea.

Comment

Just a question, wasn't it more than 12k a year?

Though we have around 1k active users now, that would dwindle far below 500 when paying was introduced. Also I think that donations might create higher revenues than yearly pay. There are several people that are willing to donate 100 dollars, simply for themselves and so that hundreds of others won't have to pay so that they can keep the community they have now.

Comment

Puddle, I said $15 per year, not per month. Paul, I highly doubt half the zone would quit if they had to pay $15 a year, which would amount to a little over $1 a month (keep in mind that system would not mean people paying a monthly fee).

Also, there is no telling how much will be collected through donations. In the long run, what I'm suggesting may not even have to be an option if enough money is raised. Just sharing an idea of mine.

Your opinions are appreciated regardless, even if we disagree.
        Last edited by Pearl Jam; 02-09-2003, 10:03 PM.
        PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Well

Well, being that, I have to pay 1,500$ every 3 months for college, and pulling 19 credit hours (8 classes a week) and a part-time job, I don't have time for any extra jobs/ect? My schedule is completly booked, and I'm only doing about 200 a week. My mom is trying to make up for it, but its getting rough to cover it. When I turn 18 I'll be able to get student loans, but until then (a year from now) I'm going to have to put every penny into my schooling. If the servers ever went pay2play.. I'd most likely keep playing, but it would put a huge burden on me at this current time.

If you want to honestly make the servers go pay2play I think a better solution would be to create a series of linked servers. Find a server somewhere that would be free and allow everyone to play there. But anyone who wants to play on a faster server, you have to pay something like 50$ a year for it. Honestly it would create more programming work for PriitK and who ever else does it, but it wouldn't be that hard of a task.

I've played this game for 7 years.. I've been through thinking I'd never play the game ever again.. I've been through getting CHARGED to play the game. SS has survived all this, and being that TW is one of the driving forces of this game, I think somehow we'll overcome it..

But if PEARL JAM's idea ever did come to be, I'd hope that the charging would start exactly a year from the day it was put into effect.

You have 1 new message waiting.
          ?messages
          Message sent by PriitK on _________. PriitK: Notice. You have 365 days remaining until your yearly installment of 15$ is due. Currently your account has __$ credited to it.

But think about it, that would make way more work for everybody. People have like 10-15 names (yes, there are alot that do). PriitK would have to think of a way to allow them to use all their names.

Dunno, I'm not a very good planner.. just a programmer.

But PJ is right.. PriitK is one of the sole reasons this game has survived, and unless we give him some help.. who knows.
          Volcs> !sex
          Volcs> WTF WHY WONT IT WORK
          Volcs> FUCK ME!! !SEX!SEX
          Volcs> !sex!sex!sex!
          Volcs> !sex on
          Volcs> !fuckyou

Comment

I meant to say per year, yeah. If it was $15 a month, there would be no point in debating it because no reasonable person would shell that out for this game.

But I think it's too early to discuss this. Let us see how much money in donations they've collected so far. I highly doubt it's anywhere near the $12,000 mark though.

Comment

Adam, they have IP's and MID's, you're on staff, you should know these things (but there are appearently a lot of things staffmembers should know that you don't). If someone pays it would cover them.
              15 bucks a year is not that much, but if it keeps dorks like you Puddle of Mudd, out of the zone, I'm for it even more. Less bandwidth wasting, less annoyance, more fun.
              And those who couldn't cover it would be able to do something productive with their time instea dof play this and probably end up with a life and either quit or start playing again because they'll have gotten the money in a snap.
              sage

Comment

Richard has all the answers.

""

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle of Mudd SUCKS
                  I meant to say per year, yeah. If it was $15 a month, there would be no point in debating it because no reasonable person would shell that out for this game.

But I think it's too early to discuss this. Let us see how much money in donations they've collected so far. I highly doubt it's anywhere near the $12,000 mark though.
                  Agreed, my idea is a bit pre-emptive - best to just wait it out for now.

Comment

Granted... it would make some people quit, but I agree with PJ that the majority would not. And really, is a year of playing this game worth fifteen bucks to you? You might say no, but honestly, you know you'd pay it. And really, fifteen bucks? "OHMYGOD THEY'RE EXTORTING US!!!" Get a grip. Some of you blow a lot more on beer every week. Go PJ I support your idea. The only thing is how are you going to organize payment plans. For example, when a new player signs on, they will be instructed to mail a letter, with their real name, address, money and IP address to whoever's in charge of such an operation. They could then have access to Trench Wars through said IP port, and register any name they like (that's available). Thoughts?
                    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

15 bucks a year is not a lot. i'd pay that.

Comment

Idea: Charge people a dollar per month to keep an avatar up on the forum.

Comment

Idea: No.
                          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

dont call me dumb for saying this because i dont really know what im talking about but maybe someone could advertise on tw.org, and we could encourage players to visit the site and click the ads more.
                            Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                            apt>yes u can wtf
                            apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                            apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                            apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                            Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                            apt>na
                            apt>ill show you pictures
                            apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Adam just for the record $15 is like less than 3 hours of minimum wage work. I think you could manage 3 hours for a year of subspace.

Any current player would be able to afford that no matter how many other expenses you have. The problem is you wouldn't see any new players joining, meaning eventually as the old player base slowly quits the game would slowly be dying off.

Personally I'd like to see every player given one name for free, but anyone who wants more than one name has to pay for it. I like this idea because I don't like aliases, they confuse me.

Comment

Working...
                              X