No announcement yet.

Rant/Funding Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staff would work all the payment details if they took in the idea.
    As for newplayers, if you've played any type of online game that requires a monthly fee, you know they give new accounts a trial month where they can play and decide whether or not they will continue with the game and pay or not. Now again that detail would be sorted out with staff, but I doubt it would be a month, more like 6 or even a year.
    And Puddle of Mudd, you have to admit it's much better than the goddamn "rent a staffer" idea, and I don't see anything productive in that sense coming from you.
    sage

Comment

if we did go pay to play and we lost players wouldnt that lower the cost?

I have no idea about what bandwidth costs range but the loss of players could help.
      maybe also not sitting afk in spec could lower costs. if you are not gonna be playing or chatting log off. i dont know how much money/bandwidth these would save but its an idea. implement a 15 minute spec warning, if oyu dont reply then you get booted.

and 15 a year is not bad at all.
      To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
      brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Creager
        As for newplayers, if you've played any type of online game that requires a monthly fee, you know they give new accounts a trial month where they can play and decide whether or not they will continue with the game and pay or not. Now again that detail would be sorted out with staff, but I doubt it would be a month, more like 6 or even a year.
        I never even thought of that. Something like 3-6 trial months would probably be ideal. Good idea.

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
        Personally I'd like to see every player given one name for free, but anyone who wants more than one name has to pay for it. I like this idea because I don't like aliases, they confuse me.
        Another good idea.

And if Puddle Of Mudd SUCKS was serious about the avatar idea, that would be an option as well.
        PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

i like your idea of paying for your name sleepy, it would be great. I also dislike name trading and alias''s and whatnot.

Comment

Two points:

1) The avatar and custom user text can all be pay-per-use for registered forum users. I know alot of forums that have instituted this method to purchase and upkeep their VBulletin licenses. Of course, this would not cover any of the major expanses but it would be another source of income.

2) The instant this game enters the phase of financial transcations in exhange for service, staff is going to be expected to act professionally. By that I mean a few things. When a game starts costing money, there is a big leap from "volunteering" to "working." If people are expected to pay the hard dollar to play this zone, then isn't it fair to presume that people who run this zone are going to demand some sort of compensation too? Their services, of course, would need to improve and be more regulatory from what they are now. My basis is grounded in other p2p games that are ran essentially by the players themselves...except with cash advancements.

Comment

I didnt read any replies but i agree... alot of people would quit, but the people who loved it will remain. I'd definately be willing to pay.
              Kthx> Does JB Inc pay his child support with pub bux?

Undisputed Pre-Menstral Super-Bitch Internet Kickboxing Champion 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Shear
                Some of you blow a lot more on beer every week.
                ...day. No, seriously, though, I'd probably pay 15 bucks a year in theory, but there's something about the fact that this game is free that helps me justify the large (well, not nearly quite as large anymore) amount of time I spend playing it. Writing that check would just make me feel like a tool for some reason. As far as the multiple names thing goes, I don't think anyone would pay for an extra name. I know I wouldn't.

Comment

I agree with Blast. I just wouldn't pay for this game, doesn't matter if it's just $1 or $15 a year.

It's time to give SS a proper burial
                  The player with the biggest nuts.

- destroy

Comment

You leaving is only an improvement on the game destroy.
                    sage

Comment

I would definitely be willing to pay 15 bucks. It's 3 hours of work for around 300 hours of entertainment (being conservative here). A movie is close to 2 hours of work with 2 hours of entertainment (and most movies are less entertaining than Triceratops). The only problem I have with the PayToPlay idea, is the actual transfer of funds. I am not old enough to write checks or get a credit card, and I'm too neanderthalic to figure out PayPal, so how could I get the money in?

Anyways, that trial idea may be exploited because people could continually get new names every few months and just avoid paying; unless there is some way to block a machine code or something (I have no clue).
                      Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Before I would even think of making a donation or paying any amount of money for a 2 d space game. There would have to be some MAJOR changes in how this game is regulated and ran. I would expect it to be up to par with Business owned Online gaming servers. I will not pay any amount for how this game is ran at this point. I also can't believe that Priit is not using this game to benifit his own company in any way. Be it storing every email account and then selling the legits ones at 1000 per what ever the going rate is on legit accounts. Or maybe as some kind of tax write off.. who knows.. This place is a hell hole. If I am going to pay for its server space and band width.. clean it up.. regulate it and start having staff that host. This isn't the only server where the staff are not paid, but those others are ran smoothly. Take for what you want, I like to rant and put thoughts in your head that may have needed a push start or what have ya.. I don't even care if I have no clue on what I am talking about.. So flame me, tell me I am a idiot, but I got a responce on it and that made you think on what I just rambled on about .. good day to you
                        You laugh at me because I am different, and I am laughing at you because you're all the SAME.

Comment

I'll be the one with the giant "SEE YA!" novelty foam hand on, waving your broke ass goodbye, Oen.
                          Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

thanks but no, save your beloved hell hole

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                            I'll be the one with the giant "SEE YA!" novelty foam hand on, waving your broke ass goodbye, Oen.
                            LOL, you won't need to spend any extra money on a novelty foam hand.. just take a marker and write on your hand and wave it.. or hell just give me the finger.. you will need any extra money to donate/give TW 's.. though I do thank you for wanting to see me off.. and here I didn't think you liked me much.. lol *insert G' hug here*
                            You laugh at me because I am different, and I am laughing at you because you're all the SAME.

Comment

k

this wasnt an attempt to get you all to reply/post messages that made you look like you have a giant vocabulary and are the massiah(spelling?) of grammar.. it was to get some PRODUCTIVE *NOTE PRODUCTIVE* thought out of everyone

and about staff havint to act more professional.. i agree, there are some very non-professional people on staff as of right now, but this is a game after all. 80% of staff are under 18. and if there is a zone in subspace that pays its staff, then that zone needs massive therapy. MOST, if not ALL staff members join staff for one of 2 reasons. 1: popularity (dont disagree, anyone that becomes staff is instantly popular, good or bad), or 2: enjoys the power (running things, being able to ban people, controling what others do. or the less notaforelisted : wants to see the game they love run smoothly.

and about the 3 hours of minimum wage work comment.

i honestly.. could come up with 15$ in a years time, but i'm on a tighter budget then you could imagine. if i get 5 dollars, i go and put it in my huge coke bank, and at the end of the month, i deposit that. every 3 months i owe 1500$. my mom can come up with about 1000$.. it doesnt sound like alot, but considering the workload i'm doing at school, it is. i have a part time 3 days a week, friday/saturday/sunday, and that money barely compensates for what my mom cant.

and richard, yes i'm on staff. and yes i know what machineid's and ip's are. alot of the people that play subspace don't have static ip addresses, so those would change. then it's down to goes off someones machineid. this, like everything else, would be abused, as you can fake your machineid quite easily. then you'd think, ok, lets make some sort of CERT like alot of online-games do. no, beacuse players would start giving those out, defeating the purpose. one solution i thought of was group names into a single account. this would totally dump the idea of name trading, which i'm ok with, but would be an idea.

but thats getting way far ahead, considering they havnt decided on anything yet. right now we're just in need of donations, not a yearly or even <gulp> monthly fee.

but if that ever happens, i'm sure it will be fair and reasonable.. i mean, if priitk was one to want to make money off this game, it would have been pay2play along time ago.

i have faith in priitk and i know he'll think of something.

and i rarely post on the forums, so the whole avatar/signature thing.. i wouldnt care, i dont get that in depth... but if there are some people that into the forums, maybe it would be a source of some small revenue

and, last thing.. with the new smods in charge (pusher, yomama<again>), staff is slowly starting to act a little better. when we had poid in charge, i agree, staff lacked alot. it wasnt as bad as it was WAY back when, but it was still pretty bad. mr. spam and flabin made some small improvements.. but i mean, you cant totally bash staff oen, it gets better every day.

and staff do host, it may not be what you want (we have quite a few arenas) and it may not be when you wanted it, but it happens. if you are saying hire staff members that have no lifes and will spend 24/7 hosting events, it will never happen. we're voluneteers, we do the best we can.
                              Volcs> !sex
                              Volcs> WTF WHY WONT IT WORK
                              Volcs> FUCK ME!! !SEX!SEX
                              Volcs> !sex!sex!sex!
                              Volcs> !sex on
                              Volcs> !fuckyou

Comment

I think it's more like 15,000 unique IP's that log into TW each week regularly. Mr Arrogant knows. Anyway, if that figure is true (I know it's more than 1,000) then people would only have to pay $1 per year. Then the issue would be having a credit card or actually being preapred to use it over the internet, rather than stumping up the money.
                                Originally posted by Facetious
                                edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Working...
                                X