Integrated Public Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a nutshell, it looks like we are going to;

1) Give ?go spaceybase a new tileset (probably something similar to the current Trench Wars map tileset) and;

2) Keep Pure Public arenas in Publics.

More information follows below;

1) The main problem players had with the ?go spaceybase map wasn't how it was designed. Players liked a new fresh map. This also meant new strategies and new shots. However, the tileset seemed to be a real issue with players, the map was cluttered with spikes and other things. The colour of map also put players off it as well. The boki concept is cool, and we should bring it back to Publics soon, so we (the Public Committee) are going to change the tileset to something close we have currently with the Trench Wars Public map.

2) The idea behind this testing was to spread the players out among Publics in terms of competition. It's common knowledge that basers hate Leviathans, so we tried to reduce the Leviathans power, but not so much that it was useless for the Leviathan players. Basing did decrease in Publics, but I often saw people basing with Leviathans sometimes. At the end of the day, Basers and Leviathan players make up the majority of players in Publics (along with duelers), and they seemed to complain about the testing, which I think is a shame. I also think that players in play Public 0/1 on a consistent basis were/are less tolerable to Leviathans, which may have decreased basing activity.

Plans for the future;

1) Designing a new tileset for spaceybase
    2) Getting Pure to change the Weasel back to its bigger size. :]
    3) Discussing consistancy among Publics (not in terms of settings, but more so in terms of Pure Publics). I'll reveal more later on.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me in-game or on the forums. I appreciate any input or feedback, because after all, this is your zone.
    "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
    • Shark
    • Dicer
    • Sager
    • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Looks good. However, when are you actually going to promote playing in publics. Simply fine tuning the settings is not the full solution, I think you need to give people more reasons to play in publics. Which is quite hard to accomplish with TWD and all the sub-arenas that there are.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Creager View Post
        The tile placements matter more than what the tiles look like
        I agree.

As players who like to levi, listen to me and the other Dr. You need to close up alot of the levi shots to make it playable. Make levis have to work for kills. The new base makes it too easy to get kills, because of the number of levi shots possible. Even with the reduced power of the levi bomb. With the current design of the new pub map its a turkey shoot for LTs.
        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Looks good. However, when are you actually going to promote playing in publics. Simply fine tuning the settings is not the full solution, I think you need to give people more reasons to play in publics. Which is quite hard to accomplish with TWD and all the sub-arenas that there are. By Darkmoor

Of course. The testing of the settings was the first step, upon which we are trying to get players in Public to base.
          "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
          • Shark
          • Dicer
          • Sager
          • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

As I said in my other thread, don't restrict shipchanges. Read there for details on why.

It's easy to set restrictions on number of ships allowed in play. Some hosts can even enforce this in hosted base events.

Makes sense that if you want to play the hot ships, such as terrier and javelin, you have to stay and fight on your freq to deserve it.

The limits are up for discussion.
            This also raises the idea og a truley pure basing public arena, with focus ONLY on basing.
            I suggest for this. This emulates the # of ships found in real basing games, and the rules for getting it are first come, first serve.
            1. Warbird = 3
            2. Javelin = 3
            3. Spider = Unlimited
            4. Levi = 0 with these settings
            5. Terrier = 2
            6. Weasel = 3
            7. Lancaster = 3
            8. Sharks = 4

With this enforced, pub #1 should always be a map where duellers can play, even with another map more fit for duelling. This idea is too radical to get any attention, since it needs too much work for anyone to bother doing it.

I got my ideas for current pure pub ship restrictions here.

1. Warbird = Unlimited
            2. Javelin = 3
            3. Spider = Unlimited
            5. Terrier = 2
            6. Weasel = Unlimited
            7. Lancaster = Unlimited
            8. Sharks = 4

Right now, we're doing a halfassed job at enforcing this.
            We want to emulate base games by restricting ship changes like it is there, great, the idea is decent, but it doesn't work.
            But we let everyone play any ship they want. Newbies will think that javelin is the main ship in basing and that team killing is as normal as killing your enemy.

In one way I don't see why I bother to try making changes, it feels like there's not anyone left caring.

Weasel isn't a ship used to go into base through the backdoor and assasinate the terrs and claim flag to break timer in base games, so why the FLYING FUCK is it in publics?

The more I think about current pub setting, the more ticked I get, or maybe it's because I need a cig.
            Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
              1. Warbird = Unlimited
              2. Javelin = 3
              3. Spider = Unlimited
              5. Terrier = 2
              6. Weasel = Unlimited
              7. Lancaster = Unlimited
              8. Sharks = 4
              DO THIS IN PURE PUB NOW!

Comment

This is worth a try for atleast a week, we've done many useless testruns for a week before. Give this one a try.

If they won't accept this pure pub, they'll play somewhere else, and then someone else who will play.

It will be easy to see if the popularity of pub 0 has gone up or down.

Throw in free ship changes as well, or atleast give a limit higher than 0.
                Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

hey everyone, i just wanted to make a suggestion about bounty real quick.

as things stand right now, there's really not much point to bounty. you get 6 per kill and 1 per green, whoop de doo. when i think of the real-life connotation of the word "bounty", i imagine that easier-to-catch people have lower bounties than those who are harder to catch. for example: someone charged for assault and battery who gets out on bail and skips his court date, whom then must be retrieved by a bounty hunter would not fetch very much money. in comparison, the bounty on osama bin laden is $25 million.

anyway, my point here is that the bounty you receive for any particular kill should depend on how hard it was for you to kill that person. because someone's record in pub is not an accurate representation of their skill (levs get killed all the time while a shark can rack up a lot of kills with it's mines while it just hides somewhere) i would acknowledge that bounty itself is a good way to judge how hard someone is to kill.

what i mean is, if you kill someone with high bounty, your bounty should go up considerably more than if you kill someone with very low bounty. i think a good increase quotient would be by 1 point of extra bounty gained for every 8 points of bounty the ship you killed had. for example, a spider with a bounty of 26 kills a shark with a bounty of 61. normally the spider would be bumped up to 32 bounty, but in my system you would use the following equation:
                  61/8 rounded down to the lowest multiple of 8 equals 7. 7 bonus bounty, on top of the standard 6 equals to a total bounty gain of 13 for that kill.
                  this would bring the spider's new total to 39. you may or may not want to subtract 6 from the dividend of the two numbers you divide in this equation if you don't think a ship's original 6 bounty should count into the bounty bonus they give. i think it should, though.

basically this is just a good way to make bounty something meaningful, as opposed to something not as so. thanks for reading and i hope ya'll consider this.
                  Life always has bumps in the road, but the last time I checked, the path to Mt. Everest wasn't paved.

Comment

Make Bounty a meaningful part of your everyday life :P
                    sigpic

Comment

maybe this will show 1 problem with pubs

the sneaky lil bastards have enough of an advantage already without the decoys let alone a whole freq taking over pub 0
                      ?find dads revenge

Comment

How about streaks? Maybe One day only, for like 3-4 hours....Since the campers are useless, this can give them a reason to be useless and still enjoy themselves?

Comment

They don't deserve to enjoy themselves.
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                          Originally posted by the_paul
                          Gargle battery acid fuckface
                          Originally posted by Material Girl
                          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

I know that i don't "really" have that much power over what happends to the pubs, but i would like to propose an idea.

The "pure basing" pubs aren't really basing at all, you just rid the pub of levis. I suggest in the pure basing pubs that you also relieve the arena of weasels, javs, wbs, and maybe even lancasters. This way pubbers actually get a feel for basing. The actual settings for the pure basing pubs are actually really clever and work rather well. If the pubbers don't like to pub without their beloved "tk-ridden javs, or way-to-easy-to-take-over-base wbs/weasels" then they can just scurry over to any of the other public arenas.

Please feel free to critique this idea, i just feel that this would help more than hurt.
                            Last edited by icE>; 07-28-2007, 02:23 AM.

Comment

You're misunderstanding the point. The goal isn't a "pure basing pub". If you look carefully, we've been calling it "pure pub". Sure, we'd like to make basing a more popular form of play, but the goal was to make the pubs pure, not to make them purely about basing.

The problem I have with your suggestion is you're talking about public arenas with about 30 people in them at once. What you describe might work for an 8 vs 8 battle, but a full 15 vs 15 would be nearly double that size. Say we take a conservative scenario where a few people are in spec, leaving a 12 vs 12 battle. With more than 2 sharks a waste, and more than 2 terrs takes away from coordination as people would have to keep switching terrs to attach to, that would leave about 8 spiders per side. With their rapid rate of fire, that's going to create nothing but a cloud of red bullets. The problem is that the base isn't large enough to accommodate that many ships and that many bullets.

Skill and strategy would be reduced to hoping that the bullets you're going to fly over are from your teammates. It'd be a crap shoot. Even if you throw in an extra shark or terr to replace a few spiders, it wouldn't reduce the l1 bullet fire that dramatically. More reps would make it worse, not to mention the effect of bursts.

This might work as an event now and then, but I don't see it as being sustainable in a pub environment.

Comment

In otherwords The only way it works in pure pub at the moment is because there are so many javs. If everyone was spider, it would soon get very crappy.
                                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Working...
                                X