Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

an essay about ship balancing - or why the levi is important.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an essay about ship balancing - or why the levi is important.

Taken from

http://forums.sscentral.com/index.ph...0&#entry152055

This essay is not about 17th in particular. I'm sure there are other reasons why this, as any other zone, gradually lose their population . But at least one serious is the overzealousness of those who create the zone to make the "perfect zone", as they see it.

Many admins fail to realize what makes their zone popular. What makes Continuum, in the first place, popular. Their fail to realize the difference between a small, old game like Continuum with a small dedicated core, and a big new releaze like Halo 2.

Some of the most common techniques that end up backfiring:

- "Balance at all cost" principle
    - Nerfing ships and other settings
    - Overlistening to whiners
    - Trying to imitate other games
    - Overemphasize teamwork, dynamics, and any other "hot idea"
    - Overemphasize graphics and other media
    - Change for the sake of change

Subspace is not about the ultimate balance or ultimate teamwork. It's about having fun. It's about preserving it's charm and preserving the nostalgic spirit that keeps veterans here and not sends them off elsewhere.

BALANCE/NERFING/WHINERS:

Sometimes, your zone is unbalanced in one way or anothers. THAT'S FINE. No need to change it just for the sake of balancing it. You may lose more than you gain. A good analogy for 17th was, long time ago, the removing of the ICBM weasel and replacing it with a more traditional ship. I'm sure you did it because people were complaing "omgwtfbbq get rid of that stupid wizzel with cloak and 1-hit kill". So you did. But by doing so, you ruined the fun for others, not just those who liked the weasel, but the community in general who were used to the weasel the way it is, who, while sometimes not realizing it, were enjoying the challenge and uncertainty the weasel brought. Sure, they often cursed it, and sometimes even whined about it, but once removed, people suddenly lost their "favorite enemy", and felt a lot of the point about the zone gameplay was lost.

I roll my eyes when I see Trench Wars following suit now with nerfing the Lev. They will step in the same beartrap. They may please a few whiners, but those who whine will tend to whine anyways, they'll just find something else to whine about, while a large community of those who enjoyed LT-ing, or hunting LT's, will lose a challenge, and gameplay will become boring for them.
    Please everyone understand now why the levi and weasel are so important to TW.
    Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
    Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

jerrys kids
    Big Chill

Comment

Complaining about how the levi is being nerfed doesn`t come across as being too strong an argument when you`ve also argued that plans for a new map have also helped levis. Which is it, are we making it harder for them, or are we making it easier for them? You better start picking one or people might think that you are just another example of someone who has to find something else to whine about.

Comment

Is this what kids think an essay is now?

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal View Post
          lets hope not....
          SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
          SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
          Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
          Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
          1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
          1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

anything more than one paragraph is an "essay".
            There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Doc-

Sign your posts like so:

"What I Say Is True,

Sir Kingsley Masters"

and the things you say will be done in an instant.
              NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal View Post
                Seriously, on all my tests there would be an 'essay' section. The teacher would ask for a few sentences.

I've grown up doing -athlons, and the standard 30-minute essay was introduction, three points, conclusion, with eight sentences per paragraph - I consider that a small essay
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

And how much of it do you get to do in point form?

Comment

i think that is nonsense

maybe it would be relevant if as you say the 17th parallel weasel was one hit one kill and people here where complaining about the WB and trying to get it l2 bullets or 3x longer recharge rate or something, but since i don't know much about the 17th parallel weasel i guess i can't say that. I only played that zone when i first started cuase i remembered from my history class something about 17th parallel during the vietnam war which i've now forgotten

Also that very conservative view doesn't represent changes in this zone that have done well or indeed made no difference. The x has been tweaked alot, including HUGE changes like ship size offering it to go through holes etc and reps + rockets coming and going, it has been changed to and fro alot. The major change of the lanc giving it new powered bullets has realy made it its ownship and i think is a very good change.

The fact of the matter is, this is an old game, many that play it started when it was most appealing. I started playing when i had a low spec computer with a modem, to entice new players in is always going to be hard cuase there is alot more out there now and the standard of online gaming has risen and also the standard computer has risen a greatdeal in spec . The main thing this game has got going for it is that it is free, simple and the physics engine makes it fun.

Falling population isn't to be unexpected, indeed in my opinion in this , the far by biggest zone, the changing of the lev might make some of the ppl "giving this game ago cuase they're bored and dl it on chance since its free" stay and help out the declining ss population. When i started i never found the random death as i tried to keep flag from a priv freq lt fun ... let alone when i got so fed up and tried to hunt it that i couldn't cuase it reped my bullets or warped... so then i actualy tried to ask ppl on my freq to hunt it, not many did cuase they were resigned to spawning as going to base = random death and they liked their rec's... if you ever got a terr spider with anti and a lanc to shoot it, which was rare it upped and left to the next pub ... to inflict a 4 person vs 30 ruining of the game .........
                    In my world,
                    I am King

sigpic

Comment

Bring the good levi back damn it.
                      -Bubbles
                      Phillie> lag isnt skill btw F-35
                      Kthx> yes it is, newbie.

Comment

quite frankly, i find a FR full of idiots javs more annoying than a group of LTs. Seriously. and right now what do we have in pure pub? 0 LTs + a FR full of idiot tk javs.
                        1 + 1 = 1

Comment

Working...
                        X