No announcement yet.

On the issue of lag: The real story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps TW should become a turn-based game. Each ship gets to move a bit, then the next player gets a turn. No lag, since you'd be shooting against stationary targets.

Or maybe a text-based game : "I'm flying into flagroom and I just got a perfect burst in that killed everyone", followed by: "WTF? I hit you three times before you bursted"

See how much happier everyone would be?

llater,
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
      AHAHAHAHA!!! 2d, shush. You, of all people, have no credability in this subject area. Twenty two lagouts in a single TWLB match? Rocketing up into base time and time again ignoring every single bullet/bomb/burst in your path? I honestly hope you don't expect anyone to take you seriously because it's blatantly obvious you are feebly attempting to defend your rather questionable position.
      touché!

My ping is around 450-500. I'm called a lagger & I admit that to kill me, they usually have to lag shoot me. BUT, I have to lag shoot everyone. There are no advantages to lag. wow. aborb some enemy fire. they absorb it all the time! Yet, I understand that I am the one that is lagging and must suffer the consequences.

It is a problem in leauges, but the serious laggers that bounce over the place get spec'd anyways and isn't there a limit to how many times you can get back in? I am not familiar with leagues.
      Wouldn't packetloss matter more than ping anyways? I thought packetloss was the amount of data that is being split apart and put back to together again and the percentage is the amount of data lost during that cycle... or so I've heard. Don't quote me on this. In no way shape or form am I knowledgable about computers.

Thanks.
      When Is 1337 Bad? When It's Your Ping! :D
      -John

Comment

John:

TW lag settings are excessively lax. It's quite hard to lag out unless you have 1000 ave ping or are spiking massively to 2000+.

Also in TWLB there are no lagout limits.

Finally ping = how long the person's data takes to reach the server. Basically if I have 250ms ping, it means that it takes 0.25 seconds for my stuff to reach the server.

If you turned on the continuum ping view, you will see everyone's ping to YOU, or basically how long until you get to see their packets. This isn't really as accurate though for a number of factors.

Basically what I'm saying is that people with 400ms average ping shouldn't play leagues. They might personally do badly, but it affects the team game considerably because of the presence of a lagger. 400 ms ping means it takes 0.4 seconds for stuff to reach the server. Since people with 400 usually spike a bit too, expect anywhere between 0.4-0.5 second DELAY from when they do stuff to when you see stuff. Now add that to your own ping (average TW player has 200-250 or so). That's from 0.6-0.75 second delay!
        I means they shoot, 0.6 seconds later you see their bullet. You shoot back, 0.6 seconds later they see your bullet. So by the time your bullet gets to where it was supposed to be, it's been 1.2 seconds. Now count to 1.2 seconds and use a warbird to thrust at full speed. See how far you can move?

Now in reality it doesn't work like this exactly. Turn on ping view on continuum to see your personal ping to these people. Good bet that you will have around 400 ms ping to people who lag 400ms to server. So the total delay in that case is 0.8 seconds, still a very significant amount of time.

Ever see on CNN when they are doing interviews with jouralists from half way around the world? See when they talk to them, there's a huge delay? Those delays are less than a second (time it yourself) but it seems to be FOREVER. Now think about playing SS like that. It might be acceptable in pub, but definately not in leagues and it really shouldn't be acceptable in elim either.

-Epi
        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

Epi, deal with me for another month & a half.

I see your "frustration" (is it?) but I will soon be leaving the village of laggors and entering the great world of DSL.

Going to college!
          -John

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby
            I think you people need to get the fuck off 2dragons and consider my post resolutions:LET'S GET A SERVER IN AMERICA ALREADY THAT WOULD WORK IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE FINNY SERVER
            All That so 2d can stay in a game?
            :yawn:

Comment

Ping only issues ?

I dont know why everyone is talking about high ping alone, when I (among other few that I know), starting some 8 months back, am suffering from high ploss.
              My ping has hardly ever gone over 60ms, and those times that it did (120-150ms) it was very different experience. Everyone was skipping, but you can adjust fairly well.

But my bigger problem is not ping its ploss, and playing in pub with 12.2% ploss is not pretty sight (you cant play anywhere else too). I've gotten reported for cheating few times too, when everyone on MY screen would dissapear, and I was able to do anything I wanted in fr, and even read the main chat msgs, ppl yell and shit (very amusing when you're shark, you get to be invisible but can lay mines). To play elim with 5.6% is also a challenge (I only play baseelim, since I have bigger chance at killing due to prox dmg), your hits will kill less then half times, bombs will apear out of nowhere, or you'll just explode. Dont even dream about long radar shots, cos those dont kill at all. Bullets are something that other ppl will walk through.
              Playing base is even bigger drag, you cant rep, cant aim with jav (small jumps all the time), other ppl lag through your mines - they actually DONT SEE any mines ie even though you get EMPed by the same ones. You on the other hand can eat shit load of bullets, but will get killed by invisible burst. Highly annoying. Not to mention having a squaddie with same prob, and you bouth get spike-specced every two mins.

And I play on university T1 line, with which me and a bud can exchange full 700mb movies in a matter of 5-10mins.
              Originally posted by Disliked
              However, I have a bigger problem, being an atheist for 9 years, most of it during my teenage years I've become a little addicted to masterbation. I've tried to stop and even asked God to help but I'm unable to resist the temptation and it's driving me insane with grief.

Originally posted by concealed
              when i was on incuria i took 40 mgs of adderol like an hour before every match. didnt help me that much :X

Comment

Check this out guys...

I can be home, at work, at school, or EVEN at a deli/super market and I can control how hot and/or cool it is in my house with this new thermostat system by the Long Island Power Authority.

http://www.lipaedge.com/

Best of all - I conserve energy (lower bill) and I save the environment from the comfort of my own home or even from the comfort of your home! The best part is that they even install it for free...

I mean, if there's a downside to this, I haven't found it yet!

Comment

hehe..

actually.. i haven't taken the time to read ALL the posts..

but i just have to say, i played with some insane amount of lag yesterday (ask mythrandir and windreaper, they'd tell you the lag made it impossible to play properly against me in a base game)... and my conclusion is, in a base game. no matter what disadvantages you can come up with. whether it be poor rec, massive delay on your side so you can't really aim... the advantages of outrageous lag outweighs all of those.

i hardly see spider bullets, i make sure to move quickly and not stay in one spot. i couldn't really be killed unless i fired a bomb and somehow got hit by a spider bullet. and even though i can't really get a good gauge on where everyone is, a jav bomb has a good enough impact radius to make every shot a very dangerous shot.

on one occasion i flew into flag along with 2 spiders and 2 wbs lined up.. i flew right up to the base terr with like 2 or 3 other ships running after me and killed him. my team didn't even have time to go get inside flagroom before i could do all that with my lag. it does ruin the game for everyone else. and i tank a LOT of shots.. haha.. another time, on my screen i wasn't in line to get shot, but on other people's screen they said i kept on getting hit. so i tanked a lot of bullets for my team and didn't die until all the enemy ships came after me.

i had fun though. and everyone else didn't care all that much (since it was pub, though during basing weekend). most were laughing at how crazy my lag was. but in a serious match. it would make quite a lot of people pretty pissed off.

Comment

* >|< *

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm a valuable asset to this community.

Comment

Re: Ping only issues ?

Originally posted by CrvenBan
                      I dont know why everyone is talking about high ping alone, when I (among other few that I know), starting some 8 months back, am suffering from high ploss.
                      My ping has hardly ever gone over 60ms, and those times that it did (120-150ms) it was very different experience. Everyone was skipping, but you can adjust fairly well.

And I play on university T1 line, with which me and a bud can exchange full 700mb movies in a matter of 5-10mins.
                      Yeah, I noticed that for a long duration, sometimes months high ploss just seems to take over ss. It seems to hit players at different times. For me, that is terrible news. I have 56K and that means I can only stay spec'd due to my sometime 24.4% constant ploss.

After an agravating time, the ploss just dissapears and I can suddenly play with ploss close to 0.0 or 0.1 and the ploss remains at a reasonable state until the next "attack" a few months later.

This also seemed to happen at school where they also have a T1 connection, but at a different time.
                      -John

Comment

Originally posted by brookus
                        Perhaps TW should become a turn-based game. Each ship gets to move a bit, then the next player gets a turn. No lag, since you'd be shooting against stationary targets.

Or maybe a text-based game : "I'm flying into flagroom and I just got a perfect burst in that killed everyone", followed by: "WTF? I hit you three times before you bursted"

See how much happier everyone would be?

llater,
                        Tony
                        You know how sometimes you type LoL and you are not LoL?

When I saw this, I was really LoL.
                        GG Tony.
                        -John

Comment

Although this is probably way too late, I agree with Pearl Jam. I like 2d but in this subject he just isn't right =/
                          oO;

Comment

Working...
                          X