Mr. Arrogant - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Arrogant - why?

This is going to sound a bit dramatic, but I think Mr. Arrogant 2 is contributing to the slow demise of this zone.

I logged on this morning, said hi to my squad, then went to read my forums. Arro disconnected me. I relogged on, went back to the forums, and within three minutes he had disconnected me again, so instead of logging on a third time, I just closed cont. I'm sure other people just leave rather than reconnecting as well.

This means I am unavailable to my squad for playing DDs (and thus making it less likely other squads will find a DD as well), and as a squad captain I can't be there to answer any questions or problems my squad may come up with.

From the point of view of new players, Arrogants actions are rather bizarre - all they would see is a "disconnected" message, without any other information saying it was because they were idle or whatever - it would simply look like the game was buggy (or their net connection was), and would damage their confidence.

Whats even more annoying is that arrogant only seems to operate in private arenas - the place he is most needed (in the popular public arenas) are often littered with people sitting in spec, in large part to avoid him, meaning people who actually want to play often can't get in.

If you ask staff, they will say arrogant has other purposes - depending on who you speak to, he counts population, looks for cheaters, or delivers hot cups of coffee - but his main purpose seems to be to kick idlers. I can understand this was necessary when TW was paying per MB of bandwidth, but I've been assured by staff that this is not now the case, and that TW has spare "server funds" anyway.

I'd like to suggest that Arro be stopped from kicking idlers in private arenas, and move him to kicking them from pubs. Its really sad that when the morning population is about 160 people he is kicking every few minutes.

If we can't stop him disconnecting, can we at least have him send a message first saying "You have been disconnected for being idle more than X minutes" so that people at least know whats going on?

LEM
    DinkyKitty.com - news, reviews and articles of a techy nature

i agree, i go afk for 5 mins and im disconnected from arro even when im reading forums too and thats not being afk..

Comment

yeah, ban this Mr. Arrogant
      2:Zung> Does this 2h mean 1h56 min foreplay & 3 pushes & a stare?
      2:renzi> lol no
      2:renzi> would fuck, blowjob/handjob, fuck, finger, etc

Comment

why do we still have a bot that disconnects people?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

If people still need to be kicked off during peak times, then Mr Arro should probably run just then, and not when people are on just to chat and do other things at the same time.
          (\ (\
          ( ^_^)
          (_(")(")

last.fm
          "I like my coffee black, just like my metal."

Comment

I never get booted off unless I've been online for 5+ hours in a row and I'm afk.
            Sometimes I still don't get booted off when I'm afk for 15 hours
            sigpic

1:Shaun> if my girlfriend had a dick
            1:Shaun> mmmm

Comment

Gammabot3 does the pub idler kicking.

EDIT: But I do agree. Sometime Arro has kicked me off Continuum 7 times inside 20 minutes.
              3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
              3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
              3:i.d.> da fk is that?
              3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
              3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
              3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
              3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
              3:Shadowmere> LOL
              3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
              Shadowmere> Rofl
              Up in ya !> With his feet
              Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
              Up in ya !> l44t feet
              Deft> l44t f44t*
              Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
              Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

thats not arro sert, its just someone with mystical powers that gets annoyed by you being online.
                sigpic
                All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Well.. The bot did once claim he's a better spider than me.
                  3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
                  3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
                  3:i.d.> da fk is that?
                  3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
                  3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
                  3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
                  3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
                  3:Shadowmere> LOL
                  3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
                  Shadowmere> Rofl
                  Up in ya !> With his feet
                  Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
                  Up in ya !> l44t feet
                  Deft> l44t f44t*
                  Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
                  Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                    thats not arro sert, its just someone with mystical powers that gets annoyed by you being online.
                    That hardly narrows it down...

Comment

so I logged on today to play some base (I don;t play much anymore) and I get banned by some guy named wingzero without even so much a warning because I lagged for a second (lag manipulation or some stupid reason like that) while the guy in jav on his team is laggin like a mofo all over the place.

this is why people don't come back to this game.
                      sigpic
                      All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Yeah ive been getting kicked from arrogant alot lately, seems like he does rather quickly too.

Comment

I've never been kicked by Mr. Arrogant 2 for anything less than idling for over 30-45 minutes. By idling I mean; In private arena and not doing anything else on the computer.

Mr. Arrogant 2 does serve other purposes to which the general public doesn't need to be concerned with. I don't see how this single entity could possibly be the reason the population is on a decline.

Comment

I've never seen the point of Mr. Arrogant even when it was first introduced. To me, it's one of the most insidiously annoying creations that the TW staff have ever devised. Unless AFK speccers are taking up space in a Pure Pub arena there is no reason whatsoever to disconnect people automatically for AFK reasons; in this day and age, additional bandwidth usage should not be an issue. I'd love to hear the current excuses for why Arrogant is still used.

And I agree with Lem: Newbies are going to be puzzled as to why the sudden "WARNING: Disconnected" message has appeared. Ultimately it will cost TW a potential new player if they get too bored / frustrated to learn about it, which quite frankly they should never have to do. A friendly explanation sent by PM or otherwise would go some way to avoid this.

Sure, it's possible to avoid AFK disconnections by entering the game as a ship in an empty arena, but this isn't entirely reliable (you might still get specced for a random lag spike and so fall into Arro's rules of disconnectionment).

While I'm here I could also go on a small rant about the banner harvesting bots that float around; since when did I give my permission for my banner designs to be put automagically into a public website? But that's another debate for another day.

Curious, isn't it, how the Trench Wars heydays were at a time when the zone had hardly any bots at all? That's progress, I suppose.
                            Old git and mostly harmless former captain of British Squad

Comment

Well Valiant, I'd say that other games with better marketing and graphics is why we're going downhill.

Anyway, I don't mind Mr. Arrogant, but if there's a majority wanting it to go, then let's get rid of that feature, and let Mr. Arrogant do his other duties instead.
                              Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Working...
                              X