Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play on a Lapop, or have a widescreen computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe i underestimated how great the advantage was. I never said it wasn't there... I just said that it probably wasn't enough to completely change the outcome of a game.

I played saturday for a bit in elimbeta with 1680x1050. my god was it fun.

first game came in second. won the 2nd and 3rd games. was going to win the 4th game but agreed to spec since me and the other guy were on like 5 deaths apiece and he was whining about sudden death.

And had a 4:1 ratio for a good bit of those games.

So maybe there is an advantage, or I'm just that good now :turned:

I guess I expected other people to also take advantage of the situation and bump up their resolutions.

That said, I still like it. It virtually neutralizes any advantage the laggots have in shooting invisible bullets. The difference in dodging one of those bullets with 1024x768 and 1680x1050 is clear as day and night. You have NO time to react in one case, and all day in the other. I'll also concede that it's not that much harder to aim, it's basically just radar sniping with a better scope ^-^

SO in SUM:

I agree with most other people here: It shouldn't be allowed in TWDD/LD but it should be allowed in all other arenas (with the possible exception of elim- but i think it would add an interesting element to the game- not unlike having extreme lag in TWEL or something)

edit: and money you didn't win all of the games you played in with that resolution... I'm sure I won at least one of them :P
    .fffffffff_____
    .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
    .ffffff|ff __fffff|
    .fffffff\______/
    .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
    .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
    .fffff\________/
    .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
    .fff\__________/

Comment

dank.....no one cares about 1680x1050, the arguement isnt over elim and pub arenas only. its about ALLOWING THE WIDESCREEN EQUIV of 1280x1024 which is 1440x900 in twdd twjd twbd etc

we dont want a BIGGER res to play better and havbe a fucking advantage

all we want is to be bale to play this fuckig game in full screen without it being distorted

so, instead of maxing ur res and seeing how big of an advantage u get on 1680 in elim and coming on the forums saying u dont think it should beallowed maybe u should read this thread again and play elim at 1440x900 in full screen and then play with 1280x1024 and also 1280x960 which im forced to play with and is all DISTORTED, but not as mush as 1280x1024 and dont go do it windowed saying everyone can play windowed, cuz for some stupid reason my computers are never able to get more than 25 fps in windowed mode even on 800x600 yet i get 1000+ in full screen on 1680x1050.....if someone can explain that, plz do.

then maybe u will understand wtf we are asking for instead of trying to prove points on a resolution no one is asking for

BUT
      ?GO TWDD with a huge res and u get:
      Welcome to TWD! For information on the leagues check out http://www.twdivisions.org/
      Maximum allowed screen resolution is 1440x1024 in this arena

looks like they allowed it thank god, obviously p_l

since reaver thinks everyone should go out and buy a huge CRT that weighs 80 pounds is 15 years old and takes up 30 square feet. according to him, losing players on an already dying game is more acceptable than staying with the times and keeping the loyal playerbase happy and potential new players from playing in a shitty distorted zone known as trenchwars, and trenchwars alone
      Last edited by Money; 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Is it even possible to use 1440x1024 resolution? Let's hope not, because we draw further disadvantages. But yes, the situation is still better regardless than before. Now at least I can try to play on my laptop on widescreen res without bugging my roommate to borrow me his so I can go 1:1 in twdd.

vt
        Last edited by veetee; 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM.
        2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
        2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
        2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

Of course it is, I have been using it since it was allowed. In elimbeta you can go much higher if you want, but that does not make much sense since you are limited to 1440x1024 in Public/TWD. You would have to constantly quit the game to swap resolutions when changing arenas. I also do not understand what the big problem is in playing in windowed mode, I have played in windowed mode for ages now. Anyway, the bottom line is that no matter what you do people are going to whine, whine and whine about the resolutions. Hopefully this recent change will at least keep a few more people happy.

Comment

Money is the only person on these forums that could throw some points out after the fact that I've already debated and disproved those complaints a couple of replies earlier.

Congratz whomever decided to make the change, money agree's with you. What's next, tone asks for weasel changes and staff complies?

More pixels overall and being able to see more left to right, bravo, bravo.

Edit: It will be funny to see how many people that used the 'this is better for the zone' idea that won't argue against the 1440 x 1024 even though you know it's not even, because you don't give a shit about what's better for the zone, all you can see is what's good for you.
            Last edited by Reaver; 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM.
            1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
            3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
            3:Best> see it coming
            3:Best> sad

Comment

I disagree with u Reaver but I dont want to quote and reply to all the points u made. U did bring up a good defense though.
              Looks like staff enabled 1440x1024 in all the arenas now (EDIT: not the hosted ones) . Thx staff, and ty for listening!
              Is there gonna be some kind of message to inform the community? I think a green message when you enter the arena would do the job.
              Last edited by Dutch_; 04-14-2009, 03:35 PM.

Comment

lol reaver, i have never once wanted this for an advantage, cuz honestly if u change between 1440x900 and 1280x960 the only difference i notice is ITS NOT DISTORTED u act like were asking for 1920x1080 or something, you know.... a res that would REALLY give u an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                  dank.....no one cares about 1680x1050, the arguement isnt over elim and pub arenas only. its about ALLOWING THE WIDESCREEN EQUIV of 1280x1024 which is 1440x900 in twdd twjd twbd etc
                  i care about it fucker. who's argument? mine? because it IS over elim and pub arenas. It would seem you're trying to include me in your argument when i'm not trying to be included. You've got your agenda, i've got mine.

Originally posted by money
                  we dont want a BIGGER res to play better and havbe a fucking advantage

all we want is to be bale to play this fuckig game in full screen without it being distorted
                  are you drunk or just punching the keyboard there? Becase what you really want is "the widescreen equivalent of 1280x1024". Notice that's not the same as not playing distorted. See, I actually listen to people occasionally.

so, instead of maxing ur res and seeing how big of an advantage u get on 1680 in elim and coming on the forums saying u dont think it should beallowed maybe u should read this thread again and play elim at 1440x900 in full screen and then play with 1280x1024 and also 1280x960 which im forced to play with and is all DISTORTED, but not as mush as 1280x1024 and dont go do it windowed saying everyone can play windowed, cuz for some stupid reason my computers are never able to get more than 25 fps in windowed mode even on 800x600 yet i get 1000+ in full screen on 1680x1050.....if someone can explain that, plz do.
                  The "." isn't just for numbers, use it at the end of a complete thought (aka a sentence). If you've read any of my posts, you'd realize my monitor doesn't support 1440x900 (for whatever reason, though the next larger widescreen resolution it does support is 1680x1050). I also don't give a damn since my monitor goes to 4:3 if I want it to. I understand what it looks like stretched out though. If that's ur point, fine. It's not mine.

then maybe u will understand wtf we are asking for instead of trying to prove points on a resolution no one is asking for
                  seriously, you're fucking retarded. This is probably the 4th or 5th thread where I've backed you and others up on this. I have no problems with the widescreen equivalents to supported 4:3 resolutions. And I'll "prove" whatever fucking points I want. Not like anyone on this forum has an opinion that's not set in stone anyway. You did the same thing too asshole. You explicitly said you "tested" the 1680 resolution, and provided your comments on it.

maybe you shouldn't try so hard
                  .fffffffff_____
                  .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                  .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                  .fffffff\______/
                  .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                  .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                  .fffff\________/
                  .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                  .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                  .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                  .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                  .fff\__________/

Comment

Hey, does this mean I don't have to play on terrible laptop anymore?
                    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                      MY WIFESCREEN
                      lol

Comment

I play on a 24 inch wide screen monitor. I would like it if i could return back to playing full screen mode.
                        Ardour> my fire button is escape key. and thrust is F12. i like to make it as hard for me as possible.
                        Reaver> i play subspace with a steering wheel and gas pedal and a dance dance revolution pad
                        Reaver> i gotta jump on the arrows and turn left to fire
                        Ardour> my movement keys are random letters. i change them regually

Glide> my parents are being evil, they stole my antenna in an attempt to ground me from internet
                        Glide> so i made one

Comment

u can now refer.

Comment

Originally posted by DankNuggets View Post
                            i care about it fucker. who's argument? mine? because it IS over elim and pub arenas. It would seem you're trying to include me in your argument when i'm not trying to be included. You've got your agenda, i've got mine.

are you drunk or just punching the keyboard there? Becase what you really want is "the widescreen equivalent of 1280x1024". Notice that's not the same as not playing distorted. See, I actually listen to people occasionally.

The "." isn't just for numbers, use it at the end of a complete thought (aka a sentence). If you've read any of my posts, you'd realize my monitor doesn't support 1440x900 (for whatever reason, though the next larger widescreen resolution it does support is 1680x1050). I also don't give a damn since my monitor goes to 4:3 if I want it to. I understand what it looks like stretched out though. If that's ur point, fine. It's not mine.

seriously, you're fucking retarded. This is probably the 4th or 5th thread where I've backed you and others up on this. I have no problems with the widescreen equivalents to supported 4:3 resolutions. And I'll "prove" whatever fucking points I want. Not like anyone on this forum has an opinion that's not set in stone anyway. You did the same thing too asshole. You explicitly said you "tested" the 1680 resolution, and provided your comments on it.

maybe you shouldn't try so hard
                            YEA I KNOW U HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT NO THE DISCUSSION IS NOT ABOUT PUB AND ELIM, NEVER WAS. 1440X1024 HAS BEEN IN PUB A WHILE NOW

SO AGAIN UR WRONG, ITS ABOUT ALLOWING IT IN TWD ARENAS.

RETARD

Comment

We've talked about this so many times before and for this I love you even more. Posted below are reasons why widescreen is advantageous. They may not apply directly yet they do all the same so take from it what you wish although most won't read for they shall see the length and declare it so and say so what! for me mentioning this although now they shall say they have never said such a thing for who am I to say say which i have not said

Ok I'm back. For those who actually have the influence to make the change I hope you read some of this at least, if not I understand. For those who mock and nod and respond with o' so witty you are don't bother for I already anticipate it and for this I weep at your feet.

The Resolution Change
                              The argument that people are playing with warped screens isn't valid. You can play on a normal res on a wide screen by simply adjusting the settings. This isn't a crutch anymore so I'm curious as to why it was changed?

Not everyone has a wide screen monitor so why tailor to those who do when those who do are not at a disadvantage since they can adjust settings when we can not?

Although 1400x900 is overall less pixels than 1280x1024 the advantage you gain by having more visible from side to side is far greater than overall more pixels.

Any good player who has played competitively for a long time knows that most good pilots fight side to side simply because of how the game works, it's much easier to dodge than angles or up and down. Having 1400 res compared to 1280 in this horizontal battle tips the scale in an obvious direction.

You can argue it all you want, I know many of you are intelligent on staff but I'm not requesting for an argument. Please do not display your intelligence to me so your fellow staff members and mock and nod together, and in this togetherness you feel you have won. Surprise me with a lack of wit, not the wit I expect and give me some concrete reasons.

I usually remain composed but I'm going to waver from this path for a moment and pretty much say, If you advocate for the res change you obviously aren't a good fucking player and don't realize that fighting horizontally is advantageous and widescreen now has the upper hand.

I apologize for the language for it was not necessary, but I'm pretty upset at this oversight. Normally I trust staff and I know many good members on it, but how could this happen? Was the lesson not learned before when people like me were on large res's dominating people simply because of the res difference? The tables were even, they are no longer even.

You most likely laugh now and feel that the difference then was much greater than it is now, and it is. Think though, if two equal fighters oppose each other but one person has an even 1% advantage. I feel silly even saying this and I won't continue for I do not doubt your intelligence, only your judgment.

Even if the advantage is small, it matters.

Those good players who advocate for the change are those who can utilize a wide screen, people are not good, they are selfish. Their crust is thick.

I'm selfish in wanting it to remain the same, but equal. They are selfish and wanting it to change, for an advantage.

I apologize for I am not educated, I am a man who speaks from the soul. I feel as though my point is not going to be seen.

Please do not hate me for my opinions, I love each and every person in this world even if their opinion is that I am nothing, that I am trash, if they wouldn't shed a tear if I died at this moment. I'm just asking for those in power to see the game from the eyes of those who simply play for things like TWL.

Comment

How many times are you going to request for this, although its overall less pixels on widescreen the advantage you gain in fighting battles from side to side causes a greater advantage. If you do not realize this you are either not good enough to realize this or don't have the experience in a competitive atmosphere.

We have discussed this so many times, I've gone into detail as to why this shouldn't happen and thankfully at this time staff is smart enough to feel the same.

http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=33137

http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=33355

Thats all I could find but we've discussed it on 2 other threads I can think of as well.

Most good players fight side to side, if you use this to your advantage on a widescreen it's going to cause an unfair advantage like it used to in the old days when many of us were on a larger res and would stay off their screen but on ours.

I know this is not the same since widescreen has overall less pixels but this is an example of how it can be exploited in the same manner if you're smart enough to do it.

I have a widescreen and old 21" trini that I play SS on, I can switch to Wide if needed but it's not worth it for those who can't. Stop being selfish.

Res restriction is the best thing to happen to this game, I played prior to the restriction and know first hand how it affects the game.

Like Burzum said, you can play undistorted with a Widescreen monitor, put on the black borders and it's the exact same thing. There is not reason to complain, admit you want the advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X