• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man that was good
    sigpic
    All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Set limits for yourself, don't be weak minded. Do your shit, you'll feel better when it's done.
      There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

People can choose to either bust ass the first half of their lives and then coast the last half, of you can do it the other way around.

Comment

Gran, yeah smoking weed makes me forget stuff so it's not the best thing to do :P

Adman, getting my assignment finished first and thinking about it it's only a month of hard work and after that I’ve got 4 1/2 months off to chill out

Eph, education for me is motivated by the fact I will earn more when I’m older so I will bust my arse B)
          Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. it's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.:fear:

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
            People can choose to either bust ass the first half of their lives and then coast the last half, of you can do it the other way around.
            this goes along well with the old adage:

you yearn in your 20's
            learn in your 30's
            and earn in your 40's
            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i should note that i'm a colossal fuckup, however, so whatever i say means jack
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blocks View Post
                Yeah, around the middle of my junior year of university, I ran into this problem. It maybe wasn't so much a lack of motivation as it was "hitting the wall," in the running sense. Luckily I had busted my ass prior to this, so I was able to mostly cruise the rest of the way to my degree. Even the cruising was difficult at times. What I found the most useful was to write out my high-level goals, then chunk them up into manageable parts. I actually physically wrote these out with pen and paper. When you lack motivation, I think it's crucial to break things up into parts you can hopefully accomplish right now. Otherwise the task will look so daunting you'll run off to the first Flash game you can find.

It won't happen anyway.
                /jaded
                You are kidding me right, only th e biggest retards experience the lack of motivation in their 1st or 2nd year, seriously,. don't even bother man.'

Comment

The last two years of my undergrad, I got good grades. I think my motivation was the friends I had the classes with who I strove to beat in a friendly competition.

These days, I just think of the consequences of NOT doing my work and decide I don't like the probable outcome.

Usually once I close the flash game and get into the work, I can go for hours.
                  Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

I think it'll be good to get involved in some hobbies/clubs/activities. Part of college is the experience of growing up, sharing interests with others, etc. And the grades will follow if you care about that enough. So it's not necessarily motivation to directly start writing a paper, but basically motivation that trickles down from the other things that you're doing.

As a grad student now I have to say that I miss my undergrad years spent doing stuff for habitat for humanity, running skits for my fraternity, or just hanging out and making chicken-fried bacon with my roommates. I don't really remember that many classes except for the ones where the professors told me I could do whatever I wanted and still succeed. And they were right to a degree, no one really cares about your GPA when you graduate, unless you royally screwed it up. So the goal is to not screw up royally, do you need motivation for that?
                    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                    TelCat> i dont

Comment

Bioture's pretty much right. The degrees more important than the GPA. The degree will get you the interview... your personality and intelligence will get you the job. I was super lazy in college and skipped alot of assignments, usually doing just enough to get a B. I ended up with a 2.89 GPA, but got a job right out of college as a civil engineer and am doing pretty well for myself. If you go crazy and reject mediocrity all the time like para says to do, your going to burn yourself out. Enjoy college while it lasts because once you get in the real world, you'll find out how much you miss the free time you have and how much the real world sucks.

Back on subject:
                      When I found myself super distracted, I used to either: A) go to the library and work on my laptop (Their internet was super slow), B) Do my work early in the morning (like 3 to 5 AM) before class or work. I found that if I was rushing to get it done before I had to leave, I'd put all my attention into it, even if it wasn't on the date the assignment was due.
                      Dice
                      TWLB Champions Season 8
                      TWLJ Champions Season 8
                      TWLB Champions Season 10
                      TWLB Champions Season 11

Comment

Originally posted by a2m+ View Post
                        The degree will get you the interview... your personality and intelligence will get you the job.
                        this, dont forget that revision is essentially cheating. Para blows on about mediocracry - but beats having to need to exert yourself to keep up.. just give up.

Life is too short/shit/VR.

fakeedit: do it for sanchez.
                        LoPIST> i have tons of leet freinds

Comment

go the library, bring no laptop, find a cubicle. get on it. you're golden.
                          4:BigKing> xD
                          4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                          4:BigKing> what did i do???
                          4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                          4:BigKing> ???? why though
                          4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                          4:BigKing> xD

Comment

i've spent the past 4 months perfecting my billiards game and increasing my alcohol tolerance. Now that i have a week left i've been working 20 hours a day including a full time job and hw.

motivation for me is maintaining a scholarship that virtually funds my college existence and requires a 3.8 gpa.

Comment

Scurvy, luckily due to the grades I got before getting into university meant that my university decided to give me money throughout my stay at the university regardless of my GPA (or equivalent thing in the UK).

a2m, I’m very involved in university but at the end of the day I’ve come here to get a degree so you kind of have to take the bad times of revision with the great freedom! Yeah well my sleeping pattern is absolutely terrible at university such as I go to sleep around 7 am because I can only work at night now and soon when the term starts the library will open 24/7 and then I should be ok with no distractions.

Soup, yeah if my friend form my previous year was here this would not be a problem I would have no worries but oh well.
                              On a lighter note I think that if I was to somehow fail a module which means I would have to retake it then that would get my arse into gear, don’t really want to think like that seeing as I would have to come back in the summer to do retakes...no thank you.
                              Thanks for the advice guys.
                              Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. it's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.:fear:

Comment

Originally posted by Scurvy View Post
                                i've spent the past 4 months perfecting my billiards game and increasing my alcohol tolerance. Now that i have a week left i've been working 20 hours a day including a full time job and hw.

motivation for me is maintaining a scholarship that virtually funds my college existence and requires a 3.8 gpa.
                                how do you work 20 hours a day, have a full time job, AND do homework? that's more than 24 hours!!

Comment

Working...
                                X