TW Web-Based Chat Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
    You're right on the first part, but wrong on the second. The actual problem is that Dezmond doesn't realize the horrific security vulnerability he has enabled, even after it was pointed out months ago with multiple alternatives presented to achieve the same goal. The guy can't even figure out how to harden a trivia bot, why the hell should you believe he has the server protected? While it's always refreshing to see people get enthusiastic about development in this game, they're in way over their heads on this one.
    Nice to see his attitude hasn't changed though. Maybe someday you'll learn how to threaten someone effectively, Dex. Just sayin'.
    Never having been on staff nor being close to the architecture or development, my comment was in the context of general security measures. I can say that opening new functionality almost always introduces additional security vulnerabilities that need to be addressed. I have no opinion if the value of this new feature outweighs those security concerns. My point was that everyone often gets wrapped up in the security technology while the obvious and most aggress security vulnerabilities are human in nature, things that no technology can address.

The fact is that no PC is really secure unless it is powered off, sitting in a lead-lined vault, with armed security around it. Everything else is a trade-off.
    eph

Comment

• eph, d1stort's point is that we're not talking about some kind of inevitable exploit that would eventually be found no matter what. this thing has some major, glaring loopholes to it. the kinds of issues that would immediately halt development in any normal dev cycle.
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

• We understand the security that we have put TW under. We have the main sysop and the new second main sysop (arobas) along with this project. Don't like it? You know where to go, and it isn't entering TW. You have no say in what we do, we accept your opinions. But for one, your opinion is worthless to me. Your comments on the TWDev Forums when this project was going aswell was horiffic. How you were accepted under botdev I will never know D1s. Stay in HyperSpace if you don't like what's going on. We bring new things to Trench Wars, and ofcourse it will bring security issues. I don't think you are aware of the security we have inside of TW detecting potential abusers aswell.

This is something of the 'backroad' TW(Dev) has took. Let us worry about the security, not you.

Keep your comments to yourself if they are damn right worthless.

Same with you Xog.

Comment

• I totally agree with you, eph. The biggest vulnerability here is the hubris of the development staff who knowingly let this thing go live when they could have used an implementation with a minimal security risk.

edit:
          Originally posted by Dezmond View Post
          How you were accepted under botdev I will never know D1s.
          Let's just add this to the long list of things you don't understand, then.

Let me be clear. I'm not saying it's your fault that you don't know what you're getting into, I'm saying it's your fault to ignore someone who has been involved in development with this game for HALF OF YOUR LIFETIME when they tell you what you're doing is a bad idea.
          Last edited by D1st0rt; 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM.
          USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

• I don't understand why you are complaining so much. You hardly play Trench Wars nevermind SS in general. You are trying to pull down a system that people are using and are grateful for it. Our dev's have worked on this for a considerable amount of time and yet again your great comments will cause people to just give up. I think you should worry about your own zone (HyperSpace) and not Trench Wars. As said, we can deal with it without you.

Comment

• Seriously TW? This really mature character who posts his school grades on a 2d spaceship forum is head of dev?
              I'd probably take him up on his advice tho d1s, you don't want your name to be associated with the places tw is headed.
              "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

• this is why we cant have nice things
                can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

• I never once said I created this system, but for one I am not going to let anyone troll TW Developers.

P.S.: This is kinda going off topic with a -stupid- argument. Let's try and keep it on topic please.

Xog, did you get TWChat working?
                  Last edited by Dezmond; 08-05-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• I know d1stort you have been part of TW history and you did a lot for TWCore. But think about it, we do have protection to detect people cheating and we are pretty quick at banning people abusing the system. Even if an exploit is found and exploited, the guy will end up banned. I prefer to have someone exploit a bug and get banned than adding tons of protection and waste our dev time. The wannabe hacker will waste his time, not mine.

I'm this developer and I go with the KISS principle. We don't have an army of dev anymore and let's face it, we have way more bots to maintain than back in the days when we had more devs. This implementation is simple, and working good for must of us (sorry Xog haha). And if someone want to abuse it, like I said, go ahead and waste your time.
                    Last edited by Arobas+; 08-05-2011, 10:16 PM.
                    TW Bot Developer
                    TW Web Developer
                    Friends> All I saw was arobas+
                    Friends> It's like death

Comment

• [/thread]
                      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dezmond View Post
                        I never once said I created this system, but for one I am not going to let anyone troll TW Developers.

P.S.: This is kinda going off topic with a -stupid- argument. Let's try and keep it on topic please.

Xog, did you get TWChat working?
                        No. I uninstalled Java completely and downloaded / reinstalled it from the new firefox web browser. I restarted the computer and tried to login with the chat app and it didn't work.

To add, I have my firewall disabled and all of my spyware (malwarebytes) software disabled as well as my antivirus. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate edition. Also, I have all permissions for java set to the appropriate statuses. BetaChat app has been added to the exceptions as well.

-_-.

Comment

• as an aside I have tried to open the betachat from a laptop and received class errors. this may be due to an older version of java but i dont feel like kicking my fiance off her laptop to fix it right now cuz she's doing stuff

Code:
                          load: class chat.StartApplet.class not found.
                          java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: chat.StartApplet.class
                          	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
                          	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
                          	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                          	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                          	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
                          	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
                          	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
                          Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: chat.StartApplet.class

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

Comment

• I like you both but you should both relax. Dez, d1 has done a lot for this game in general so its probably not wise to belittle him like he's done nothing. I won't comment on the project because I've never used it, but if d1 is saying that there are security issues I would personally ask for all the advice I can get instead of yelling at him. Like I said I like your work ethic and you know I like you, I think everyone should just relax
                            JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                            the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

• dez, u should know that d1 used to be the trench wars zone sysop back in the day when a lot of ppl played tw
                              the right thing to happen now would be for d1 to show aro the vulnerability, and for the developers to fix it if possible
                              the forums are not the place for announcing exploits

@ xog:

u should look at this ClassNotFoundException: chat.StartApplet.class and then find it from somewhere
                              The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                              SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

• feature request!

please add auto-execs as part of the login options.

thank you!
                                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X