the Weasel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Weasel

I've started playing a bit again and I've been noticing some of the new settings changes and I'd really like to start a conversation about the weasel. I understand part of the job of the weasel is to help tame the levi (and levi-terr) population and help balance the pub. That's fine, but levi's are completely helpless against it, even more so now with only 2 reps. There is no reason for any ship in trench wars to be able to stay completely cloaked and stealthed, indefinitely. You have to give the levi a chance, even if just a small one, especially against the folks who can only seem to get kills by stalking levi's in a weasel, killing them non-stop.

Possible solutions to change the Weasel
    1. Remove Stealth, or at least make it burn through energy. I know removing stealth was tried a week or so ago. I think it gave a good balance between levi's having to stay alert to the weasels, as well as not being able to see them directly to shoot at them. Levi's were only able to aim based on radar, and if the levi is oblivious, they are killed either way, but at least they are given a chance.
    2. Make Stealth & Cloak burn through energy so the weasel can only stay hidden for a set amount of time. Maybe 10-20 seconds worth? This lets the levi know a weasel is or might be around if they are spotted before going invisible, but afterwards the levi has no idea where the weasel is and has to guess on when/where to shoot/rep/portal/warp. This takes away the weasel's free pass to unapologetically and repeatedly stalk the levi as pray with zero repercussions. This means the weasel has to identify its target, and get in there and try and make the kill. It adds pressure, and maybe even a little skill to levi hunting. If the weasel doesn't do it fast enough, the weasel is exposed and either has to retreat or continue the attack while visible. Again in this scenario, the levi has an actual chance of defending itself instead of being a sitting duck.

Some people might complain the levi population would get out of control. I think it would continue to be a big challenge to green up, and once a levi is greened, there are plenty of other, skillful ways, to take care of levi's and levi-terrs.
    1. Play some defense. Have someone patrol the roof, maybe a spider w/ anti, and/or buy a roof turret if it is really a problem. The roof turret takes care of the constant hovering of the levi above the flagroom, and the ship patrolling kills/chases them away from the spots the turret can't reach.
    2. A good way to kill a levi-terr, is to respond with a spider-terr, at least one of whom has antiwarp. Chase the levi-terr away, corner them, even chase them to a safety zone. If you have antiwarp on, they are trapped. It turns into a good ole' fashion standoff, first one to screw up dies. Let skill prevail.
    3. For levis in the flagroom, keep the pressure on. Have javs bomb through the holes in the bottom, and through the sides. Same with warbirds. A good shot and the levi is dead.

I've been away from Trench Wars for a long time and I don't know how often this type of thing has been discussed, but as I've been playing again, the problem has become glaringly obvious. I don't know how popular these opinions are, but lets have a discussion and if we can get a majority in agreement, maybe we can have whoever is running the show these days make some settings changes. So lets hear some thoughts!
    Head of Public Relations
    SSCU Trench Wars Staff

I do not engage with trolls. Have a nice day!

Eh, the only problem is that the current fat weasel is still too slow and bulky to survive without stealth. But its still to ez to pop others with stealth. In other words, the weasel kinda broken.

From what I undesrstand, you think that stealth AND cloak should use up energy even when the other is not activted? Or did you mean that when they are both on you lose energy and that activated individually they will not use up energy.

I like the Cloak that doesn't use energy, as its kinda necessary since its too vulnerable otherwise. I personally would like the total removal of stealth though, since being completely invisible is just plain lame.

I liked the last large weasel (the last one that Fis did, larege, but pretty fast and higher velocity bullets) but it was just a little too weak and needed just a little something more to be perfect. I found that it made a very decent fighter ship in mid-low base (kinda sucky in the open) and I personally would like to see this weasel back with a little something extra, like a decoy or brick.

That way, it won't be a lame ass-POS ship like the current one, but it has the nimbleness to dodge bullets. Also, I would love to see a ship spawn with items we normally don't see in pub.

That weasel would be a change from the basing weasel, but overall I think it would be a fun ship to fight in without being lame or overpowerd.

Amen Brother
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

sigpic

Comment

I don't really think the weasel's role is really to tame the levi. Basically any ship can do that in spawn, even with the 4 reps levi's used to have. I really think the weasel was the best when it was 1 tile, no stealth and could be used to assassinate the enemy terr and flag steal, actually. Taking away the weasel's ability to buy repel was probably a good idea. Should bring that back and put a good delay on buying rockets too. The weasel was a good basing ship in those days, imho, and not such a pure lamer ship that we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudHelmut View Post
        I don't really think the weasel's role is really to tame the levi. Basically any ship can do that in spawn, even with the 4 reps levi's used to have. I really think the weasel was the best when it was 1 tile, no stealth and could be used to assassinate the enemy terr and flag steal, actually. Taking away the weasel's ability to buy repel was probably a good idea. Should bring that back and put a good delay on buying rockets too. The weasel was a good basing ship in those days, imho, and not such a pure lamer ship that we have now.
        +1 Exactly.

Comment

"I don't know how popular these opinions are"

Let me tell you that things are exactly the way they were 10 years ago: the players of this game are trees falling in the forest.

Comment

It's pretty bad with the current settings. I went 48-3 on 512x384 res, and half my kills were levs.

Comment

Working...
            X