No announcement yet.

More Elim thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the top players/squads after pub resets are posted, league's are posted and all that such, why not at least give a shout out to who finished 1st after every reset, or keep an updating tracker on the site listing the top 5
    Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
    Philos> there is something about you
    Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Originally posted by Under Dog

1.) Why is it controversial?

2.) On another topic wth does this have to do with more elim thoughts?

1.) I was trying to say that there exists a core philosophical difference between these types of play, providing a kind of polar opposite attraction. Take, for example, how you phrased your 2nd sentence. I assume that you were being sarcastic when you choose the say, “If you don't want to base, you type ?go elim, or you go to a pub and spawn.” If I understand your intent correctly, you are making a negative comment about pubs and the amount of spawning. This is exactly the kind of friction that I was trying to illustrate. The number of people, IMHO, that strongly favor EITHER the team or non-team style far outweighs the amount of people that enjoy both styles equally. I was also thinking that if there was a better separation, squads might tend to focus more on one style or another. I’ve seen squads that really struggled with this issue, with the squad itself polarized between the two styles, often causing friction. It also might encourage leagues to stop trying to be ‘all things to all people’. I’m pretty sure we could all agree that the current situation of having leagues trying to cover both styles requires a larger effort and expertise. Same with educating new staff members. So sorry if I didn't pick the best word or convey my thoughts clearly.

2.) 'Remove' started the thread with ideas about promoting and expanding Elim. My idea , I thought, followed this topic. I humbly apologize if other folks agree that my post is off topic. If the rest of you guys agree that my post was off topic, I will refrain from posting again. Sorry
      Last edited by Ephemeral; 08-08-2003, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Elim becomes a joke when over 30 people are in it. Why on earth does it need more promotion? or "elite" pilots in?

Comment

Originally posted by Randedl
          the top players/squads after pub resets are posted, league's are posted and all that such, why not at least give a shout out to who finished 1st after every reset, or keep an updating tracker on the site listing the top 5
          Sure I can put some news up for top 5's. As long as someone gives me a heads up when it's going to be reset.
          "Have Guns and Travel SubSpace / Continuum"

Comment

Originally posted by Under Dog
            PriitK has to pay for the server once sonera dropped it, so do you really think he is gonna shell out the extra 250 bucks a month because it's less "controverisal".

I hate to say this but if priitk pays $250 a month for hosting hes getting ripped. You can buy a server and get a t3 line for less then what he would pay for rentals in a year. TW players do not contribute 250 in donations a month so he would be paying for that out of his own pocket... thats like a brand new car payment, and i cant see him doing that.
            Fuck,Fuck,Fuck - Jay and Silent Bob

Remove>Smoke have you seen Uranus?
            Remove>Probaly not its pretty small i hear..
            Smokebudz420>Your a moron

Comment

First off: Remove, I was just pulling a number out of my ass, he has to pay for the server we all take for granted as hosting a free game, money out of his pocket that he will never see again.

Originally posted by Ephemeral
              1.) I was trying to say that there exists a core philosophical difference between these types of play, providing a kind of polar opposite attraction. Take, for example, how you phrased your 2nd sentence. I assume that you were being sarcastic when you choose the say, “If you don't want to base, you type ?go elim, or you go to a pub and spawn.” If I understand your intent correctly, you are making a negative comment about pubs and the amount of spawning. This is exactly the kind of friction that I was trying to illustrate. The number of people, IMHO, that strongly favor EITHER the team or non-team style far outweighs the amount of people that enjoy both styles equally. I was also thinking that if there was a better separation, squads might tend to focus more on one style or another. I’ve seen squads that really struggled with this issue, with the squad itself polarized between the two styles, often causing friction. It also might encourage leagues to stop trying to be ‘all things to all people’. I’m pretty sure we could all agree that the current situation of having leagues trying to cover both styles requires a larger effort and expertise. Same with educating new staff members. So sorry if I didn't pick the best word or convey my thoughts clearly.
              I was not saying spawning in pubs was bad, I was just saying it is a way people can play their warbird, and have other compitiotion. Why would you want to split up the population of Trench Wars? It seems stupid to split it because some people like private freqs and some don't. As for the squad thing, rampage, elusive, and disoblige all hold up quite well in all 3 divisions of TWL, get good players and you are home free. Going with the expertise thing, you would have to educate just as many staff members, which isn't really education. Their is a readme.txt on the yahoo forum that says "how to host TWL" that is about all the help and training you get.
              Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
              Message has been sent to online moderators
              2:BLeeN> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>no
              2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
              2:BLeeN> ok then no
              :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

oh, i thought that was an actual estimate nvm then
                Fuck,Fuck,Fuck - Jay and Silent Bob

Remove>Smoke have you seen Uranus?
                Remove>Probaly not its pretty small i hear..
                Smokebudz420>Your a moron

Comment

I thought about elim and it only brought forth a large tumor- I stopped thinking about it and all that was conjured from the emptiness was this large boner.

I like the idea of having a ?go ielim (standing for Invite-Elim) which will only consist of select players who are serious about playing with other serious players... going into the arena is fine for everyone but they are only allowd to speak in spec chat and not publically to ruin the players concentration. People who are invited will have to message the bot to get in and play and only a minimum of 5 players is allowd to play which will take out pointless 1v1s to 10. People will get invited based on their current elim rating (Going for anyone with deaths+wins=500+ and a positive record) and can easily get booted with a ?message if their ?go ielim rating has dropped below 600 or something. Basically we are aiming for people who are SERIOUS in COMPETING with other COMPETITORS... I guess that's about it.

I don't think the arena will be very crowded though... I'm guessing 5+ people will be in there at once that are able to play. But even with that many people that are all good in that ship they play, the game play will be very competitive and enjoyable. That's my opinion and I think I said it right.
                  Last edited by MaGi kOz; 08-11-2003, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I think spawning should be a bannable offense...why is it soo hard to wait 3 seconds before firing at a newly spawned player. Likewise, I think the definition of "spawning" has gotten a little wider over the years. I've seen people complain about spawning after I've given them a good chance to get out of the way, they miss their shot and I still hear "OMG, you spawing noob, gtfo". All in all I think some problems can be remedied by cooperation of players, if not forceful cooperation of players.

Comment

My only problem with an invite only elim is what will it's affects be on regular elim? The elite people probably don't care but wouldn't this new elim just lower the required skill in the open to all with 36 hours usage elim? The idea sounds fun, but won't it effect all the things you hate about elim for the worse?
                      Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                      Message has been sent to online moderators
                      2:BLeeN> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>no
                      2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                      2:BLeeN> ok then no
                      :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Originally posted by Monte Hazboun
                        I think spawning should be a bannable offense...why is it soo hard to wait 3 seconds before firing at a newly spawned player. Likewise, I think the definition of "spawning" has gotten a little wider over the years. I've seen people complain about spawning after I've given them a good chance to get out of the way, they miss their shot and I still hear "OMG, you spawing noob, gtfo". All in all I think some problems can be remedied by cooperation of players, if not forceful cooperation of players.
                        You will be spawning like everyone in a pair of months.
                        Wanna be banned along?

1:Eeks> well that bichix was trying to start conversation with me today
                        1:Eeks> and got excited when i said i wanna go drink today =/
                        1:Eeks> but i didn't propose anything
                        1:Zloy> Why
                        1:Eeks> i didn't have anything to fill that box zloy

Comment

Originally posted by Monte Hazboun

cuz you were spawning hoe. You were in the SPAWN area, you saw someone SPAWN, then you KILLED them in the SPAWN area. That's called SPAWN killing.

Spawning \v\ - 1. Killing someone just as they spawned without any time for that person to react. 2. Hanging around the area in which people spawn and kill people. 3. Killing somebody in the spawn area. A spawn kill.

There are always more than one definition for things around here. You especially might know this one:

Newbie \n\ - 1. Someone who has just started playing the game and doesn't know much of the environment. 2. Someone who is new to something. 3. Someone who lamed you in pub or elim or any other arena when you were off guard. 4. Someone who suicides. 5. Someone who you dislike. 6. Someone who plays pub. 7. [ this is my favorite ] Somebody you don't know or havn't seen before or someone with numbers in their name.
                          Newbied \v\ - 1. Getting killed by someone who you do not know.

And the definitions go on because people are stupid in that way.
                          Last edited by MaGi kOz; 08-12-2003, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zloy
                            You will be spawning like everyone in a pair of months.
                            Wanna be banned along?
                            ahh, sorry I don't spawn...I regret not doing it though..cause it usually gets you reverse spawned...there is nothing quite as lame as having someone spawn behind you and fire a shot immediatly in your back...

Magi Koz, notice the second part of your definition "before they had time to react" I almost always let them get a shot at me first...you are saying because he missed his first shot and I killed him afterwards I am as you so eloquantly put it a "spawning hoe"... The spawning area encompases a large area of the center of the arena...a lot of times I'll be dodging bullets and end up there.

one last thing, you forgot a defintion under newbie.

newbie \n\ 1. Magi Koz, someone who has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

gg

Comment

I vote we ban elim.
                              EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                              cool koen> :)
                              PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                              cool koen> not because of a bug
                              EvoLd> Lol
                              Treachery> meh
                              EvoLd> why then?
                              PubAceR> women in power dont last
                              EvoLd> LOl
                              toaster oven reviews

Comment

It's obvious the general consensus is that the biggest problem in elim (not baseelim) is the spawning. the best way to change elim to DECREASE (not eliminated it totally) spawning, is to expand the spawn radius and then also expand the perimeter.

Again, this wouldn't eliminate the spawning completely but would help control the problem somewhat.

All these grand idea's of like putting a safe zone in the center or raising the usage to 1000000000000x1000000 hrs to play are just unrealistic, un-thought out plans to try to express your extreme frustration at being spawned while forgetting about all the times you've done it to other people.

ps: is it just me or were there like 5 threads started about spawning in elim in the past 2 weeks?

Comment

Working...
                                X