This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disclaimers should be allowed.

I was trying to say a racial joke in baseelim earlier but I was afraid people would get offended and would report the offense to local authorities. So I went on to eliminate that hurdle with a simple DISCLAIMER that I would copy and paste in every few minutes- then I would say the joke and it would all go perfectly fine. Here is that disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: IF RACIST JOKES OFFEND YOU, PLEASE LEAVE THE ARENA OR IGNORE ALL I AM SAYING FROM THIS POINT ON. I SHALL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBLITY FOR ANY EMOTIONAL PAIN MY RACIAL JOKE MAY ENDOW- IT'S ONLY A JOKE AND MEANT TO NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. IF YOU STAY OR CONTINUE TO LISTEN AND READ MY RACIST JOKE, YOU THEN AGREE TO THIS STATEMENT.

But when I tried to say my joke, Leaf went on to warn me. I listened to him because he informed me that, though my disclaimer is a good idea, racism is still illegal and he would get me warned/ banned if necessary. So I listened to him because I don't do that bad stuff anymore and I just told the joke in my squad chat. The racism I was refering to in my disclaimer is a joke. The racism in the rules are refering to people who are idiots that say racial things for the sole purpose of pissing somebody off. My purpose of a racial joke is to make people laugh. But there is always that one person that takes some things seriously. That's where my disclaimer comes in. If you can't take it as a joke and you know it, you should leave or ignore me but if you don't leave or don't ignore me, then you agree to the disclaimer and show that you are not offended by any racial jokes. Who agrees?

Well that was correct of him, why should people leave the arena at your expense... especially with something that's illegal.

Comment

If you think the problem with racism is people's feelings getting hurt, and that a superficial disclaimer is enough to absolve you of any guilt, then racism is definately a form of ignorance.

This is like saying: I'm about to cheat in this game. If you don't want to play with someone who cheats, please leave.

Comment

Hehe, yeah.
        'vet' is the new 'newb'.
        sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

I was going to use an example in my post "I'm robbing this bank, if you don't agree with it, you can leave."

Comment

is this thread a joke? lol. i have an idea. how about all you people freaking type ?chat=racism and tell all the racist jokes and racial slurs you want.

oh and by the way, i do agree that i dont find many racist jokes offensive, as long as they are light hearted and not too deragatory. like: Light hearted or not, racist jokes are banned from these forums. These also follow with official warnings -ZeUs!!. The only problem anyone could have with this joke is the connotation of the word negro.. but i think they would be taking it too seriously.
            Last edited by ZeUs!!; 08-24-2003, 02:54 PM.
            Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
            apt>yes u can wtf
            apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
            apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
            apt>so i dont miss the toilet
            Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
            apt>na
            apt>ill show you pictures
            apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

- advertise a chat where you can tell racist jokes
              or
              - pm it to certain people who want to hear it
              DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                This is like saying: I'm about to cheat in this game. If you don't want to play with someone who cheats, please leave.
                OH PLEASE. you're taking it too seriously, like i said. Getting cheated by someone is something NOBODY likes. Alot of people like hearing jokes. You used the wrong metaphor. Same with Paul. And I didn't give the people only the choice to leave the arena. They could've ?ignored me which is a way better thing to do. Who has any guilt in telling a joke? Who could be of any harm in being told of a joke? The only harm it could do is if nobody gets it or if people aren't open minded enough to take one and laugh about it; this topic for an example.

[ Is it wrong because you think it's wrong, or because society tells you it's wrong? ]

Comment

Originally posted by MaGi kOz
                  They could've ?ignored me which is a way better thing to do.
                  Again at their expense. What happens if someone comes into the arena while your telling this "joke".

Theres no reason to bother people with racism, or any type of discrimination in game. People who use it just want to incite anger and test the tolerance of staff and of the normal population.

Edit: Although I thought the idea of warning people that you are going to be using a racial joke was alright. I don't think warning of that should force them forfeit all their rights rights to respond to it and for staff to warn/ban.
                  Last edited by Kolar; 08-24-2003, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                    Again at their expense. What happens if someone comes into the arena while your telling this "joke".

Theres no reason to bother people with racism, or any type of discrimination in game. People who use it just want to incite anger and test the tolerance of staff and of the normal population.

This is why I display the disclaimer quick- then the joke- then the disclaimer again.

Incite anger? By the results of the last time I did this, all I evoked was a chuckle and an L-O-L. From the results of that last one, I decided to do another one to only get a "warning" with the reasons of, "Don't be racist because the rules say it's wrong." Now. Are you just arguing me because you were told telling racist jokes is wrong or because you actually FEEL that a funny joke that happens to be racial is really, absolutely, intolerable and should be a result of a hanging only?

Comment

Arguing with me on this topic is like arguing if the chicken J-WALKING across the road was wrong in crossing that road because it broke a law, or not.

Comment

Magi, the fact is, that by you telling them to ignore you or leave the arnea - is extra work for them. Shouldn't you be doing the extra work and private messaging the people who want to hear it?

Comment

Arguing with me on this topic is like arguing if the chicken J-WALKING across the road was wrong in crossing that road because it broke a law, or not.

BUT MAGI KOZ. THE CHICKEN WAS J-WALKING. THAT IS ILLEGAL AND YOU CAN GET A TICKET FOR THAT! I DON'T CARE WHY HE CROSSED IT OR WHY HE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT CROSSING IT... IT'S ILLEGAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Evasive
                            Magi, the fact is, that by you telling them to ignore you or leave the arnea - is extra work for them. Shouldn't you be doing the extra work and private messaging the people who want to hear it?

Extra Work? If somebody can say to me "hey can you turn off your caps? it's annoying!", then they can definitely type "?ignore magi koz". If somebody can say "magi koz. your racial joke was offending to me. please stop", then they could type "?ignore magi koz". I'm just typing a few lines and all they are doing is typing in ?ignore magi koz or listening in. I mean... what's more? This:

/OKAY HERE'S THE RACIST JOKE. YADDA YADDA YADDA- BECAUSE THEIR KNEE-GROWS! haha!
                            /OKAY HERE'S THE RACIST JOKE. YADDA YADDA YADDA- BECAUSE THEIR KNEE-GROWS! haha!

or this:
                            ?ignore magi koz
                            ?ignore magi koz
                            ?ignore magi koz
                            //OKAY HERE'S THE RACIST JOKE. YADDA YADDA YADDA- BECAUSE THEIR KNEE-GROWS! haha!

Not only will that save bandwidth, but using the ?ignore command can also save lives.

Comment

This is why I display the disclaimer quick- then the joke- then the disclaimer again.

Incite anger? By the results of the last time I did this, all I evoked was a chuckle and an L-O-L. From the results of that last one, I decided to do another one to only get a "warning" with the reasons of, "Don't be racist because the rules say it's wrong." Now. Are you just arguing me because you were told telling racist jokes is wrong or because you actually FEEL that a funny joke that happens to be racial is really, absolutely, intolerable and should be a result of a hanging only?
                              Do what you want in game, but don't try to turn it into "Hey guys i'm saying something racist, you better go away because staff can't ban me for it!!".

I don't believe racism is a good form of expression, nor should it become the norm in a casual conversation. My only problem is that you're trying to do is make it into a situation where you couldn't be warned/banned for it.

I feel that racism is used to incite anger in people and has almost no other fuction then that. Its used as a tool of hatred nothing more. That is besides the point that it is aginst the rules. No stupid peice of writing is going to change that, so get use to it or get banned.

Comment

Working...
                              X