Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you would enjoy these two events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think you would enjoy these two events?

EVENT #1 - ?go winloseordraw

The Skinny: You have two teams. These teams can be of any size as long as they're even. For simplicity's sake, let's call these teams Team A and Team B. After the teams have been chosen, a bot spits out a category to everyone. For instance, let's say the bot spits out 'animals'. At this point in time, the bot generates a random number between 1 and 1000, inclusively. The bot asks both team captains (When the teams are chosen a 'captain' will have been appointed.) to guess the number and whoever is closer earns their team the right to go first. Now don't go bitching about how a bot can't produce a truly random number. For the sake of this game, I'm sure a decent random number generator will do just fine. Once we know who's going first, a player is selected from that team. Which player is selected is a matter of stepping through the players on the team by name in alphabetical order. Now then, once a player is selected (the bot *arena's the selection) he/she will be given a specific item relating to the category. The bot's going to PM the selected player the item. Let's say the bot picks me and PMs me with 'rabbit'. (This goes along with our animals category.) Once that's taken care of, the player is physically put into the game and a timer is set. I haven't decided how long the timer should run for yet. Anyway, the player has x amount of time to draw the item he/she was given. They will do so via mines, just like in ?go art. Throughout the entire time the player is drawing, his teammates shall be making guesses as to what their guy is drawing. We'll have the bot just listen in on their team chat as they keep spitting out possible guesses. If someone on the team guesses correctly before time is up, the whole team receives a certain number of points. I haven't decided how many points they should receive yet. If Team A does in fact make a correct guess in time, a new category is chosen at random by the bot and the whole process starts over again. Team A can go on a scoring run of up to three categories in a row before Team B is automatically given a chance to play. This is because after three categories, the next round of play starts. The winner of the game is determined after x number of rounds. And there are, as I said, three categories dished out per round. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that everyone in the arena, save for the players doing the guessing, will be silenced so that there's no way to cheat.

Okay, I don't think I left too much out. Let me know what you think!

EVENT #2 - ?go acrophobia

The Skinny: Everyone's on their own in this game. We start out by having a bot that selects a category at random. Let's say the category it chooses is 'animals' once more. It then spits out a 3-letter acronym. For instance, let's say it spits out 'RAS'. A timer is set and everyone who's currently playing has x amount of time to come up with a definition for the acronym. Definitions can be anything. Let's say I'm playing and I decide I want RAS to stand for 'Rabbits Are Sexy'. I PM my definition of the acronym to the bot and it keeps in mind when I submitted my response, i.e. - was I the first person to submit a response or the fifth person or what? After time is up, everybody gets to see everyone's definitions. However, at this point in time, no one knows who wrote what. (You know what you wrote and that's it.) Again, a timer is set and now everybody casts their vote as to which definition they think is the best. Let's say that each definition is numbered and you cast your vote by PM'ing the bot with the number of the definition you wish to vote for. Once this timer is up, we finally get to see who wrote what. Points are awarded as follows:

1 point for submitting first (note - If you go back and change your response after having submitted first, you don't retain the first spot.)
    1 point for each vote your definition received
    5 points for receiving the most votes

You play six rounds. The first three rounds are 3-letter acronyms, then two rounds of 4-letter acronyms and finally a sixth round with a 5-letter acronym. Each time a different category is chosen at random. At the end of six rounds, the two people with the highest scores go into a 'face-off' round. Both players have to come up with a 3, 4 and 5 letter acronym. Each acronym is from a different category and the amount of time they have to come up with their definitions is way shorter than it is during the regular game. Also note that all of the face-off round is handled in private so that only the two players in the face-off round see the categories and the acronyms. Once this whole process is taken care of, everybody else gets to see their definitions, and again we don't know who wrote what. We vote once again (this time it doesn't matter who submitted first) and points are awarded just like they were in the regular game. The winner of the game overall is whoever has the most points.

I don't think I left too much out of this one either. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Jason; 10-27-2003, 12:03 AM.
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

It's been brought to my attention that 2d has been working on an acrobot. If my event is rehashing something you've already seen, fear not. I promise you that when all is said and done, you'll enjoy playing the event. :]
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

someone did an ancronym thing in trivia b4

Comment

umm
        ur first game.. the winloseordraw thingy

the chosen player would just team msg his team wat the bot pmed him.. kinda ez to cheat..

ur second one.. i got lazy and didnt bother reading it
        1 + 1 = 1

Comment

Sigh... neither of you can read.

uranium, in my second post I clearly stated that I was aware of the existence of an "acronym-like" event. ?go acrophobia is going to be an expansion of that, a very large expansion.

Nethila, in my explanation of the first game, I clearly stated that only those allowed to guess would be able to speak at all. This would prevent exactly the situation you described.

Please, read what I wrote carefully and don't bring up things that have already been addressed. If you happen to think of something that you think I might have overlooked, by all means, let me know. However, I don't want to see people mentioning shit that was in the posts I've already made. If you're too lazy to read the descriptions, there's no way you could have formed a solid opinion of either of the events anyway. Therefore, you shouldn't be posting here in the first place.

Now then, keep the comments coming! I appreciate every last ounce of feedback I can get. It will only serve to make the events more enjoyable for everyone.
          Last edited by Jason; 10-26-2003, 11:52 PM.
          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

you know, i think a better idea would be a bot that did like acronyms. you know, like it would say "JIS" and youd answer "Jerome is Stupid"
            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Expanding on the issue of players attemping to cheat in ?go winloseordraw, 2d and I discussed locking pub chats, private chats and ; chats. (By '; chats' I mean the chats that show up in red.) This would make it so that the players on each team could only communicate via their respective team chats.
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Okay Jerome, I admit you made me chuckle. Smartass!
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i think considering the audience you'll attract at first, you'd want to keep the whole experience simple

simplicity is an art in and of itself...or just explain everything very well (to people who probably aren't listening)
                  Ну вот...

Comment

and how about 3rd part programs such as AIM or MIRC? You may be saying what kind of loser would go that far to cheat at this kind of game?

The same kind of loser who would cheat at any game in the first place.
                    Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

bleh

I seem to remember the game knowing when you alt-tabbed out. In chaos zone (i think) if you came back after being alt-tabbed out, you couldnt move for about 5 seconds, so the bot could watch for that, and if the person drawing does alt-tab out, their team gets -1 score

Comment

There's no way of knowing when a user is alt-tabbed. Unfortunately, ?go winloseordraw will have to operate solely on the honor system. I think it'll still be a success. There can't possibly be that many idiots out there who are pathetic enough to cheat over something so ridiculously trivial.
                        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Alright then, I'd like to start off by thanking Mayo and Eva for talking this out with me. We've reached a rather simple solution to this problem.

I'm going to set it up so that the bot will have the functionality to play the game with teams or as a free-for-all. The teams version will function just like I outlined previously. If cheaters end up ruining the fun for everyone, people can always fall back on the free-for-all version. In this version, there will be no teams. People will be able to indicate to the bot as to whether or not they're playing via some command like /!playing. This way you'll be able to jump into the game even if it's already started, just like in ?go trivia. We'll set a point limit and whoever gets there first wins. Just like in the teams version, a player will be randomly selected out of the current list of everyone who's !playing. The selected player gets to do the drawing for the current round. They still have x amount of time to draw the item the bot gave them. All of the other players get to guess by PMing their guesses to the bot. If someone guesses correctly, both he and the guy drawing get points. I'm thinking the guy drawing should get three points and the guy who guessed correctly should get one point. And perhaps the game should run to thirty points or something like that.

What have I left out?
                          Last edited by Jason; 10-27-2003, 02:18 AM.
                          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

If you're going to rip off the rules from another game, at least get them all right.

Comment

I'm not ripping off anything, dipshit. Acrophobia has been a freeware game for ages now. You can register at various online sites and play it for free.

Now, AS I ALREADY FUCKING SAID, don't clutter up this thread with useless shit.
                              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X