Conflict Of Interest??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict Of Interest??

It might beneficial to hold an intelligent discussion about the pros-cons of allowing staff to participate in squads/leagues. The intent of this thread is to try to gather and analyze objective information so we may better understand this conflict of interest issue.
    Please do NOT reply to this thread with specific names of people and claims of abuse. Basically the task is, what are the pros-cons of allowing someone to staff and participate in squads/league play at the same time. I will start the list, please add intelligent items that I am missing. (Note, please keep them 'high' level, not very specific items. An example would be adding a item to the 'Con' list like "A mod could restart a game after a bad start for his team". Obviously this is the same as item #1, "Provides potential for abusing powers to the benefit of squad during games".

Pros
    1. Allows for largest 'pool' of staff candidates to choose from (smaller population willing to give up squad)
    2. Gives staff opportunity to get 'real-life' and 'real-time' experience
    3. Allows a staffer to fully enjoy the game/community

Cons
    1. Provides potential for abusing powers to the benefit of squad during games
    2. Allows endless debates/hassles simply because the opportunity for abuse exists
    3. Staffer does not spend as much time on 'the job'
    4. Consumes time of upper staff handling and dealing with this issue
    5. Appearance of possible conflict of interest hurts 'goodwill' of game

I think when people are invited to join staff, they should all join the squad "Staff". They have plenty of good players and they can compete with the other squads in the league. I think it'd be a good solution. Don't be too estonished when they all three twl leagues tho
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

You must be trusted to be on staff so I see no problems in letting them play league games. If that trust is broken and they abuse league play for any reason then ?staff kick
      PicHosting

Comment

If a staffmember uses a command, doesn't it get logged on the server? If somebody seems suspicious, just check the log.
        6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
        3 league vet

Comment

Guys,
          The thread isn't about whether or not current 'work-arounds' for the conflict of interest are feasible. I am interested in trying to understand the conflict of interest issue itself and it's justification.
          thx

Comment

I don't know how many TWL ops are willing to give up their squad, though it'd be a good idea. I know if I was a TWL op, I wouldn't want to give up a squad, but then again, that just means I'm not willing to give my all to be a TWL manager, which should possibly be a requirement for those wanting to run TWL.

Comment

I didn't really read the thread but I heard Pro's and Con's of staff.. and no names.. so i'm just gonna say a couple things.

Pro:

Many staff members = Faster responses to ?help / ?cheater, More events hosted, more events made.

Con:

Many staff members = More chaos, unstability (spelling), more abuse reports, more people who want to be a staff member, more people who are jealous.

Thats just a little something i've wanted to say..

Comment

Originally posted by Miku19
                If a staffmember uses a command, doesn't it get logged on the server? If somebody seems suspicious, just check the log.
                Yes, the moderator can type *log to see the commands recently made.

Comment

Originally posted by Xog
                  Yes, the moderator can type *log to see the commands recently made.
                  Only sysops have access to that command.

Comment

Originally posted by cundor
                    I think when people are invited to join staff, they should all join the squad "Staff". They have plenty of good players and they can compete with the other squads in the league. I think it'd be a good solution. Don't be too estonished when they all three twl leagues tho
                    ?win
                    Match won by Staff: 100000 - 0.
                    GG staff squad will have the best players to do sucha result..

Comment

Originally posted by Emaho
                      ?win
                      Match won by Staff: 100000 - 0.
                      GG staff squad will have the best players to do sucha result..
                      ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by Sphonk
                        Only sysops have access to that command.
                        Nope. --)NoName(-- can do it in SSH Mario World, when I demoted him to mod

and an smod in TW also did it when i was talking to him/her
                        Last edited by Xog; 12-03-2003, 02:31 PM.

Comment

i think that it would all be good if staffers simply didnt play on their staff names. That would eliminate any sorta "abuse" or any kind of things surrounding that the staffer helped his squad in any way.

Staff should be allowed to participate in leagues bc it isnt fair to ask them to give their time and effort then not play leagues, but i agree that all TWL ops should be squadless or atleast not play in leagues. (maybe not all ops but atleast more then 1/2)
                          _o_2NASRALLAH

Comment

Originally posted by Xog
                            Nope. --)NoName(-- can do it in SSH Mario World, when I demoted him to mod

and an smod in TW also did it when i was talking to him/her
                            As an smod, I can tell you that you are incorrect. Sorry.

For a list of commands and who can do them, please see http://www.shanky.com/server/commands.html

Comment

I always thought access to certain commands varied with the zone.
                              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                              X