Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because you didn't like distension doesn't mean it was bad for the zone

Originally posted by kthx
    It took months of me constantly harassing and berating Qan and Distension to get it killed
    Congratulations on "berating" someone who was willing to put many (many) hours of his own life into creating something new (and popular) for the community... in what has otherwise been a very developmentally stagnant zone in the past 2-3 years. Really, well done.

and the zone is much better off for it.
    By whose standards? Just because you didn't like distension doesn't mean it was bad for the zone.

Aside from the numerous technical issues distension had in terms of stability, it reinvigorated many players' interest in the game (including many players new to the zone). As for the older players, it was something new and fresh in contrast with what they may have felt was the "same old" pub or "same old" twd, that they've been playing in daily for the past X number of years.

I'm not saying I personally loved distension... I didn't... I felt that there were several gameplay flaws which needed improvement, and no one can deny that hyperspace is years ahead in the customization genre, but the fact is that many players in TW enjoyed distension greatly, and the arena was almost always at the arena limit. It must have been doing something right for the players to be enjoying it enough to wait around for an empty slot to open up.

Is the zone really better off by killing one of the few innovative things the zone has actually had in the past few years?

Just because distension did not have the same ship settings as the rest of the zone doesn't make it "bad" for the zone. Numerous popular events don't have TW settings, it doesn't make them "bad" for the zone.
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

I think your forgetting the 15 crashes a day caused by distension or distension related issues. And the fact that Qan was so fucking stubborn with his bot that he wanted it hosted before TWL and wanted to turn it into an event that was ran 8 hours a day on a set schedule. If he would have just kept it as what it should have been, an event, that got hosted and hosted regularly since it was popular nobody would have had a problem with it. Unfortunately for him he was blinded by his ego and "ability" to code a bot, he refused to admit it was buggy and caused the entire zone to suffer because of 40 or so whining players. So yes, I did do the zone a favor.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

i vote kthx for TW conservative of the year awards.
      TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
      TelCat> hoes get paid :(
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

I think after Distension alot of players have negative feelings towards bot coders and developers, unfortunately Qan really screwed up the image of coders in this zone. It took months of me constantly harassing and berating Qan and Distension to get it killed, and the zone is much better off for it. Things like updates to twd, matchbots, etc etc etc are all appreciated, just thought I should clear that up. However, we do need to role back robohelp to make it less intrusive and less easy to use for staff so that staff can get back to PMing players again.. maybe make the use of robohelp !tell to smod only so mods or lower have to actually talk to players.
        ROFL. Yup, it was you that killed it. It had nothing to do with the fact that Qan went MIA for months at a time when Distension was having problems.

Comment

Why do you think he stopped working on it, constant arguing about not having distension hosted as often, or at all if it wasn't fixed.
          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Him going back to the army.

Comment

why all the qan hate?

i always found him to be a rather cool dude. very helpful too. i'd buy him a beer.
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

yeah qan was cool
                help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

i've only come across qan from the twbeta days, but he was always very friendly and helpful. Couldnt say a bad word against him
                  5:ZeUs!!> http://www.mikejeapes.twzone.net/images2/me_title.JPG
                  5:sexy wooden spoon> when did u erm, win the title?
                  5:ZeUs!!> yeah im a black man
                  5:ZeUs!!> i won it back in 98 when i absolutely battered Evander Holyfield
                  5:Superted> you look a lot whiter in your drinking pics
                  5:ZeUs!!> i mullered him
                  5:sexy wooden spoon> did u bite his ear?
                  5:ZeUs!!> I bit his whole fucking head off
                  5:ZeUs!!> he needed 56 stitches after that

Comment

Originally posted by Zingy View Post
                    It took months of me constantly harassing and berating Qan and Distension to get it killed
                    Congratulations on "berating" someone who was willing to put many (many) hours of his own life into creating something new (and popular) for the community... in what has otherwise been a very developmentally stagnant zone in the past 2-3 years. Really, well done.
                    i thought i was the only person who noticed this earlier...

this statement only means two things:

#1: kthx is a cocksucking idiot
                    #2: tw staff is even worse than everyone gives them credit for.

and its common knowledge that when the zone has a terrible staff, its time to find a new zone to play.

its a shame to see countless zones fall victim to this problem.
                    The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                    SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

and i should have seen it earlier, when events in tw died.
                      The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                      SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

i could make the same thread about hms stargazer and ?go doomsday
                        Condom> sometimes I lose on purpose just to remember what it feels like

Comment

KTHX RULES

Thanks for killing that stupid game, I really hated it.

It was dumb and sucked.

Comment

Another zone like what, your shitty "cheeze zone" that has stolen graphics from every other zone made?

I didn't have a problem with Qan it is just a fact that most bot coders always see their work as more important than everything else, which he did, and it was crashed the zone, multiple times, every day, and he kept pushing for it to be hosted more often, before the real reason that TW is alive IE TWL. So yes it did deserve to die, im glad it is gone for good, and good riddance to Qan for being so obtuse about the event that probably crashed the zone a hundred times during its short existence.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                              Another zone like what, your shitty "cheeze zone" that has stolen graphics from every other zone made?

I didn't have a problem with Qan it is just a fact that most bot coders always see their work as more important than everything else, which he did, and it was crashed the zone, multiple times, every day, and he kept pushing for it to be hosted more often, before the real reason that TW is alive IE TWL. So yes it did deserve to die, im glad it is gone for good, and good riddance to Qan for being so obtuse about the event that probably crashed the zone a hundred times during its short existence.
                              It's funny that you mention the constant crashes because while it's true it crashed a lot early on, after he coded the bot to shut itself down before crashing the zone, it never happened again. The last couple of months, it ran fine with zero problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X