Home Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
    Would I be able to play CS against my mate?
    yep
    Cat: You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? 'Hey man. You threw the stick, you go and get it yourself, I'm busy. If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?'

Comment

And send the other computer messages, which will hopefully disturb subspace so the user can't see the ship flying without having to alt+tab to fix it?

Comment

Lucon Hubs and Routers deal with different things on a network. A Hub is a multi-port repeater, you can think of it as being less intelligent then a router because all it is doing is repeating all signals sent to it from the lan and sending it on all ports. It is used mostly to connects all devices on a segment then have a connection from the hub to a higher level device like a router or bridge.

A router provides some security because of built in firewalls and deals with layer 3 packets but instead of "binding" all of its ports and sending information on a preplanned path like a Hub, it checks the packets to determine how and where to forward it.

Close on the networking without a router bit.

You'll need 3 Network interface cards.
        "Computer Server's First NIC" ==========>Modem

"Computer Server's Second NIC" *Via Cross over cable *===========> "Second computer's NIC or dirrectly into a hub"

If you go into a hub you won't need any cross over cables (same CAT-5 cables just the pairs inside are changed around) just normal straight through ones. Other connection from the hub to 3,4,5..... NICs will provide a internet connection and LAN connection when configured, it's a good idea for a friends laptop or if you have any lan parties.

Comment

Alright, thanks everyone

Comment

If his modem is a USB modem, he only needs one NIC in each PC
            USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
            ---A few minutes later---
            9:cool koen> you scorereseted
            9:Kim> UM
            9:Kim> i didn't
            9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
            9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
            9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
            9:pascone> lol?

Comment

I have 2 PCs online here, i use a X-over cable.... i guess my PC acts as a hub/router type thing.

Comment

Working...
              X