Ghost ships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost ships.

Not really sure how to explain this, have been having this problem since new server. It starts happening randomly and can seriously impact games.

I will kill someone, their ship will stay on my screen for several seconds, tanking my shots then start blinking and die several seconds later. Then I get the kill message. Obviously if I notice in time I can stop shooting and focus on another target but if my next target is behind them the first target still appears to eat my bullets.

I see this happen most frequently in basing matches.
    Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
    (10 seconds later)
    rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
    P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

This happens when a player is very nearly lagging out. Sometimes they still do lagout or get completely disconnected.

Comment

This is my normal ?lag.

PING Current:30 ms Average:20 ms Low:10 ms High:40 ms S2C: 0.1% C2S: 0.0%

I never seem to actually lag out unless server is having problems.

(10 seconds later)

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

Let me clarify, I meant when the opposing player is about to lag out .

Of course this gets worse if you are laggy yourself (which evidently, you are not very much so)

Comment

Leland

Comment

Well, I found a workaround. Use a VPN away from country to avoid whatever hop is screwing up the connection. Unless someone else comes up with a better solution?

(10 seconds later)

Comment

Ghost ships! I've been plagued with this issue since we've had the new server and it definitely has messed up my games. The issue I have is I'll be flying and then an enemy ship will fly towards me, I'll shoot at it and it will then disappear entirely. It's like the server loses track of a player and takes a few moments for it to find the player which during that time if it's on my screen I'll waste a shot on it hitting nothing. Can't tell you how many times this has caused me issues and lame deaths. Plus I must look incredibly stupid to observers seeing me throw a bullet at nothing lol

As for VPN's, I've experimented with them and while I don't recall having anymore ghost ships while on one, I was noticeably laggy to others. Plus, I have no idea how to get kills when lagging because my dodge becomes compromised as does my aim. You would really need to spend a lot of time to become good playing with lag because going from not lagging to lagging changes everything you'd normally do. That and it just pisses people off.

In summary, VPN's might solve this but they can affect your playstyle negatively and they also negatively effect everyone else in-game. I'll just keep shooting ghost, getting vulched and looking like an idiot until we get a better server. I find even with ghost ships floating around me I do better than playing with lag induced by a VPN.

Comment

I have been seeing that a lot too, with the VPN I notice it a LOT less.

(10 seconds later)

Comment

Are there particular paths (or countries) that seem more or less likely to have this issue?

I supplied the provider with network reports from both directions when users were experiencing an issue, and despite all this they weren't able to find anything. But clearly if you're able to avoid a hop and that fixes the issue, it's not a problem related to our server. More information here would help. What might be especially useful is to do a two-way trace with and without the issue. That shows, quite clearly, that if we avoid the hop we don't have the issue.

hallucination (Chaos sysop) has had some luck identifying the hop. We just need proof.

If you're looking to fix the problem on a personal basis and would like to avoid the ping issue, you could try a Gaming "VPN". These are not actually VPNs at all, but services that find the best path to the server and reroute your connection accordingly. They may actually improve your ping over your standard connection, and also be able to get around the hop causing ghost ships. As of yet everyone has been too cheap to pay the $5/mo to try it, though. Maybe just lazy, can't be bothered? I'm not sure. It would be nice if at least one person took the time to try it out. Some pro gamers use these to ensure the best connection and consider them non-optional. https://forums.trenchwars.com/suppor...nection-issues
                  "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                  -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Tonight without a VPN my ?lag was this:

PING Current:30 ms Average:50 ms Low:30 ms High:100 ms S2C: 9.3% C2S: 0.1%

After a few different local VPN hops in Canada or USA I still got shit s2c.

After trying one to europe the ploss goes away and I get this:

PING Current:220 ms Average:180 ms Low:150 ms High:220 ms S2C: 0.2% C2S: 0.0%

Clearly this is unplayable without VPN. I am just going to play it via VPN from here on out and if anyone wants to ban me for it, well....bye? lol

(10 seconds later)

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Nibbler View Post
                      Tonight without a VPN my ?lag was this:

PING Current:30 ms Average:50 ms Low:30 ms High:100 ms S2C: 9.3% C2S: 0.1%

After a few different local VPN hops in Canada or USA I still got shit s2c.

After trying one to europe the ploss goes away and I get this:

PING Current:220 ms Average:180 ms Low:150 ms High:220 ms S2C: 0.2% C2S: 0.0%

Clearly this is unplayable without VPN. I am just going to play it via VPN from here on out and if anyone wants to ban me for it, well....bye? lol
                      Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue?

The last time we tried to demonstrate this, we sent in a decent batch of MTR reports from both directions. The provider wasn't able to identify the issue. (Or pretended that it didn't exist. Hard to say.)

If you're able to demonstrate one path working and the other not, and do so consistently, it would be a fairly convincing report to send in, and worth capturing.

If anyone is familiar with hallucination from Chaos, he could also run these reports.
                      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                        Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue?

Like most problems that are hard to diagnose, this is random. It works fine one minute and not the next. VPN seems to avoid it completely.

(10 seconds later)

Comment

Working...
                        X