Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Issues & DVD Region Question

Two problems, first one first:

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop with Windows XP, and I use Internet Explorer to explore the internet. My pc freaks out on certain websites, and I think they have something in common which is really doing a number on this machine. The following are examples of websites my pc can't deal with:

www.nufc.co.uk
    www.allmusic.com

When I go to these sites, everything loads extremely slowly, if at all. In the case of sites like nufc, with those strange little bars in the background, the graphics and text start rolling on and off the page. At this point, my laptop starts purring really loudly and losing its shit. I come across websites that do this with occasional regularity. I'll try to find more if it will make the case simpler to solve, but in the meantime I'd appreciate anyone's help on the matter.

Second issue:

There's a chance that the following question breaks forum rules with regards to cracks, etc. If that's the case, kindly remove this section and accept my apologies. My DVD drive (or my OS) allowed a certain number of region changes for watching DVDs (5 or 6, can't remember). I'm down to the last one now, though, and I was wondering if it's possible to tweek my pc so that's it's region-free. Any info would be much appreciated.
    RogerMexico
    The Daily Nice
    Post Secret

Try using firefox Roger?
    "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Comment

I'd be extremely suprised if using Firefox changed anything. It's not a fucking universal Band Aid.

The other question is kind of a grey area, but since people sell this stuff, I'm going to call it fair--let's play ball. There's a couple ways to do it, the easiest is to use something in the vein of DVD Region+CSS Free (http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm). There are other programs that can do the same thing, this is just the first one I stumbled across.
      Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Maybe you just need to update your Internet Explorer?
        I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Not adding anything substantial here really...

Yeah I tried "DVD Region-Free" about a year ago and it mostly worked a treat. However quite often it wouldn't work and I'd be bashing the settings for about 10 annoyed minutes until it caved in.

If you're feeling adventurous, there may be a Region-free update for your DVD drive, specifically for the brand+model, i.e. 'firmware update'.

About using FireFox, seeing if the problem still occurs via other browsers would be worthwhile just as a check. Only thing I can think of is if the wonky sites you visit are using some technology in common, be it flash, javascript, sound but I'm being way too general here.
          Last edited by Nockm; 04-04-2005, 12:26 PM.

Comment

ok about your first issue...

the nufc website has popup ads, that will probably be the reason for that page not loading if u have adstoppers, virus scanners or firewalls etc on your PC.
            the allmusic.com has alot of dynamic page content (adverts, media players etc) all making the page very 'heavy' so it takes a long time to load.. again if you have programs to keep your pc safe from trojan horses etc, then they might be blocking the page due to the banner adds or the music/movie files on it.
            04.07.05 08:59

Comment

Working...
            X