General Inquiry About RAM Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Inquiry About RAM Upgrades

I was looking to upgrade my memory with my tax return money, and I was hoping to save some scratch by doing it myself, if I could. Any ideas on a scale of 1-10 how difficult it is to install on your own?

I have put in modems and network cards in myself, but that stuff is kind of like...plug and play type stuff. Is a RAM upgrade harder, or about the same as those other things I mentioned?

God will bless you should you provide me with help. I'm in his posse.

Prolly easier than installing modem and stuff. All you need to do is put it into socket.

The other thing is to find out the correct ram, SDRAM or DDR/DDR2 and it's uh..don't know the correct word but those Mhz things.
    megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
    L K> taught u what?
    megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
    9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
    9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

easier than installing a modem, or easier than installing some programs. lol

Comment

well, i'm currently using 256 ddr, but i'm thinking of upgrading to 1024, since I want a pc that can run a several browser windows, paintshop, and a text editor at the same time, without having to worry my shit will freeze up.

Comment

My PC came with 256 in 1 slot, and one empty slot. Like you, I use loads of programs at once and 256 wasnt enough. I bought a cheapo ebuyer 512 ddr and bashed it in the spare slot. I now I have 768, job done!

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
            well, i'm currently using 256 ddr, but i'm thinking of upgrading to 1024, since I want a pc that can run a several browser windows, paintshop, and a text editor at the same time, without having to worry my shit will freeze up.
            hey jesus,

i thought you lived in san diego?

where did you move to?

today i was driving on the 101 freeway, and i was about to go on the I5 to go to hayward, but i remembered i had to work tommorrow lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rab
              My PC came with 256 in 1 slot, and one empty slot. Like you, I use loads of programs at once and 256 wasnt enough. I bought a cheapo ebuyer 512 ddr and bashed it in the spare slot. I now I have 768, job done!
              Yo, Rab...so you just stuck the mem in the slot and job done? Is there anything to configure in BIOS or anything? Or is it really that ez?

Originally posted by gerry
              hey jesus,

i thought you lived in san diego?

where did you move to?

today i was driving on the 101 freeway, and i was about to go on the I5 to go to hayward, but i remembered i had to work tommorrow lol
              What up Gerry? Nah, I wish I lived in San Diego, it's so nice there. I live up in Sacramento, land of the Governator. Yo, where's lakewood?

Comment

Installing RAM is about as cake as it gets. I've had more trouble zipping my pants up.
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Pretty simple. Slap the RAM in the slot, secure it and you're good to go. Only problem you MIGHT have is figuring out the type of RAM you need (PC2700, PC3200, etc.), but that's pretty easy too.
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                  Originally posted by the_paul
                  Gargle battery acid fuckface
                  Originally posted by Material Girl
                  I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
                    What up Gerry? Nah, I wish I lived in San Diego, it's so nice there. I live up in Sacramento, land of the Governator. Yo, where's lakewood?

lakewood is a city near the coast. the nearest major city is long beach. it's also next the the orange county line, off the 605 freeway. i actually live borderline between the city of cerritos and lakewood, so all i really have to do is cross the street and im in the city of cerritos

lakewood is also about 15 minutes from knotts berry farm (the amusement park)

Comment

cool, thanks everyone. I'll pick some up this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hatred
                        Pretty simple. Slap the RAM in the slot, secure it and you're good to go. Only problem you MIGHT have is figuring out the type of RAM you need (PC2700, PC3200, etc.), but that's pretty easy too.
                        DDR is backwards compatible. Just get some 3200, slap it in the hole, that's it.

Comment

Yeah, but why bother buying PC3200 if your system can't take advantage of it? If it's built for PC2700, don't blow extra cash on PC3200.
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                          Originally posted by the_paul
                          Gargle battery acid fuckface
                          Originally posted by Material Girl
                          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

brian just tells it like it is, everytime!

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hatred
                              Yeah, but why bother buying PC3200 if your system can't take advantage of it? If it's built for PC2700, don't blow extra cash on PC3200.
                              3200 is more common. From ebuyer it was only about 50p more than 2700. Plus you can recycle it if you buy a new PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X