No announcement yet.

WTH is latency, and why is mine so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH is latency, and why is mine so bad?

I rarely had a problem with being specced and lagging, but over the last 2-3 weeks, it's been really bad. I have a broadband connection, and I rarely have probs with my isp.

Can someone give me an idiots explanation as to what latency, lag, and packetloss are, and how they differ from each other?

I thought I knew what they are, but I've never seen a textbook answer written down anywhere. I don't want to assume I know what they are, when it's possible I have no clue WTF I'm talking about.

Don't qoute me on this but;

lag is the delay of information for you to server

packetloss is information lost in transfer either from server to you or from you to the server

latency is packetloss

Comment

Not exactly.

Latency = The time it takes for a packet to cross
      a network connection, from sender to receiver.

Packetloss = The amount of packets lost on the way.

Lag would be both of these combined.

Comment

who cares
        TWLD Season 8 Champion: -FINAL-
        TWLJ Season 9 CHampion: Syndicate

Goddess> i haven't had sex in over 5 years now because i'm waiting for someone who's worth marrying ... which will most likely never happen so i figure ima be a nun without catholism

Colonel> rofl.. goddess hasn't had sex in 5 years because thats how long its been since someone has actually been able to find her cooch

Comment

So lag cant be a slow relay between client and server bottlenecked by a slow connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
            So lag cant be a slow relay between client and server bottlenecked by a slow connection?
            yes

Comment

Working...
            X