type of internet to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuukunen
    Ok, I'll change it to: yay for people for ignoring Reav's " I've checked many times over the past few years, and just recently as well, so Dialup and Satellite are it..." :P
    How uncommon is Cable? I just thought that maybe Reaver hadn't bothered to even think of going down that road (cause he has satellite instead of cable and didn't want to bother to get cable over satellite? Hence Satellite and Dial-up being the "only" options available). I saw no mention of not having Cable in his hometown, so I thought I'd ask. Or am I making too many assumptions and yadda yadda I'm wrong? Either way, broadband will always be better than dial-up.

Comment

I had DirecPC yrs ago. Downloads are obviously Satellite...fastest downbloads I ever had...except when there was bad weather on the SouthWest Horizon...storms will play a part in your use of a dish.

Uploads, being the packets are usually smaller when sending for web browsing or email are or where based upon the use of a phone line...not sure how DSL would come into that? But with a standard phone line, it's great for web browsing and downloading since the download signal is the main point.

Playing SSCU TW sucked with a dish. That was the worst part. Online gaming just does not click when you have a split up/dl type system.

You can play SS, but your ship will be in a different spot than where your bullets usually come from. It was like a 1 - 2" space difference of where the ships and bullets appeared.

Only plus I can think of with the Dish I had for PC was that downloading was the fastest I had ever encountered....on a clear day
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

solution: BOTH

Superb downloading with satellite, elite lag for owning without skill in Subspace with dialup! Win-win!
        5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
        5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
        5: Da1andonly> =((
        5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
        5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
        5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found
          Playing SSCU TW sucked with a dish. That was the worst part. Online gaming just does not click when you have a split up/dl type system.
          Indeed, I'd think that the latency would be about 400+ ms. So playing TW would be quite difficult. On two-way systems (download and upload via satellite) the latency would be even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeansi
            solution: BOTH

Superb downloading with satellite, elite lag for owning without skill in Subspace with dialup! Win-win!
            If it's per minute, playing online games with that is just stupid. If it's per month, would he want to pay for both just to be able to play subspace better?

Comment

When I did use DirecPC Satellite, it was the same...actually cheaper than when I first switched to ADSL. It was billed monthly as well andnot by the minute. I guess it would depend on how they offer there services today? They did have quite a few plans to choose from.

For web browsing it was awesome...for the days when there was a new Netscape Communicator Suite released, the FTP download was amazingly fast....I think I downloaded the entire communicator suite in les than 3 minutes. Please note that this was back in the browser war days...back when Netscape had its edge...have not really used Netscape except for comparing and testing HTML, Java, Flash and so on.

I still have my Dish for the Satellite, but I only use it for TV, so if you decide to go Satellite and then get DSL or Cable, you can at least still use the dish for TV. Satellite is all in HD...no need for the extra HD Cable Box...especially if your TV is HD ready!
              May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. This might be a silly question, but maybe you could help me out, if you can get CABLE TV, does the guarantee that you can get CABLE INTERNET? I mean, I know that's almost always how it goes, but is it ALWAYS how it goes? Just wondering if it's possible for you to have access to cable tv, but not cable internet? My driveway is 1/4 mile, and I don't have the cable line running from the main road to my driveway, and finally to my house. Maybe I could pay them to put one in, any idea what that would cost, or would they cover that themselves? Thanks again.
                1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                3:Best> see it coming
                3:Best> sad

Comment

I think it would cost a bunch of coins. I guess you should ask them. And about cable. You can get cable internet only if the cable is two-way. I don't know what kind of cables they have there, but in finland only the newer houses have a two way cable. I've heard that at least in germany it's possible to have internet with one way cable so that upload is done by modem, that could be an option too.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver
                    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. This might be a silly question, but maybe you could help me out, if you can get CABLE TV, does the guarantee that you can get CABLE INTERNET? I mean, I know that's almost always how it goes, but is it ALWAYS how it goes? Just wondering if it's possible for you to have access to cable tv, but not cable internet? My driveway is 1/4 mile, and I don't have the cable line running from the main road to my driveway, and finally to my house. Maybe I could pay them to put one in, any idea what that would cost, or would they cover that themselves? Thanks again.
                    In the States, I highly doubt you can't get Cable Internet. I have no clue where you're from though, so I couldn't tell ya. I can't imagine it being too expensive to have them put a cable line to your house if it's on your road. You'll probably only pay the Installation fee for putting in the Cable. I'd check all of your Cable service providers and see if they carry the net over their Cable lines. In the place I was living at for 4 years or so we had DSL. At the new rental place however, we've decided to go down the Cable Internet route for we didn't want to be committed for a year if we decided to leave, otherwise we'd have to pay a $200 termination fee. Still waiting for that Cable Modem. -_- Anyway, more info for ya. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
                      In the States, I highly doubt you can't get Cable Internet. I have no clue where you're from though, so I couldn't tell ya. I can't imagine it being too expensive to have them put a cable line to your house if it's on your road. You'll probably only pay the Installation fee for putting in the Cable. I'd check all of your Cable service providers and see if they carry the net over their Cable lines. In the place I was living at for 4 years or so we had DSL. At the new rental place however, we've decided to go down the Cable Internet route for we didn't want to be committed for a year if we decided to leave, otherwise we'd have to pay a $200 termination fee. Still waiting for that Cable Modem. -_- Anyway, more info for ya. :P
                      You can get DSL with no commitment plan, it will cost you 37$ a month,and a one time installation fee of 30 or 40$ I believe. All you need to do, is when you decide to cancel, return the modem and other hardware they gave you at the start, that offer is with Verizon DSL, if that's available where you're at.
                      1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P

Comment

You can get DSL with no commitment plan, it will cost you 37$ a month,and a one time installation fee of 30 or 40$ I believe. All you need to do, is when you decide to cancel, return the modem and other hardware they gave you at the start, that offer is with Verizon DSL, if that's available where you're at.
                        It isn't available in my area; now I wish I lived where you live. :P I'd rather get DSL over Cable (mainly cause I'm close to the ISP and we'd have our own line but...), but I don't want to pay the $200 fee to terminate if we find a better place. That's a sweet deal, not having to pay a $200 termination fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
                          It isn't available in my area; now I wish I lived where you live. :P I'd rather get DSL over Cable (mainly cause I'm close to the ISP and we'd have our own line but...), but I don't want to pay the $200 fee to terminate if we find a better place. That's a sweet deal, not having to pay a $200 termination fee.
                          Well, I was speaking from experience because I had verizon DSL, but not where I live now, where I live now I'm pretty much stuck with dialup =\

Comment

Well, I was speaking from experience because I had verizon DSL, but not where I live now, where I live now I'm pretty much stuck with dialup =\
                            Shitty. Well, I hope you find a good solution to your problem. (Our Cable modem arrived last night, need to pick it up today. Hopefully I can start playing again by the end of the night! Anyway....). I hope we've helped some.

Comment

Working...
                            X