Western Digital Raptor 74Gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Digital Raptor 74Gb

Thinking about getting one of these bad boys. I hear they're fast as hell, but ridiculously noisy. I was wondering if anyone here owns one and if so, are they really that loud as people say?

I've been reading the reviews over at Newegg, and someone said he had called the company and they said the noise was a defect, and they aren't supposed to make those clicking noises and have the severe vibration issues. However, most of the reviews mention something about being a very noisy drive.

Long story short, just wondering who is correct...

May I ask you where do you need that?

I mean that's 74GB HD and it costs almost $200 while you can get 200GB SATA drive almost half that price. Even the 36,7GB Raptor is more expensive than 200GB HD. Sick.
    megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
    L K> taught u what?
    megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
    9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
    9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
      Thinking about getting one of these bad boys. I hear they're fast as hell, but ridiculously noisy. I was wondering if anyone here owns one and if so, are they really that loud as people say?

I've been reading the reviews over at Newegg, and someone said he had called the company and they said the noise was a defect, and they aren't supposed to make those clicking noises and have the severe vibration issues. However, most of the reviews mention something about being a very noisy drive.

Long story short, just wondering who is correct...
      Performance drives make noise. They shouldn't click or whine, but they'll chatter. That's perfectly normal... they should be silent otherwise. They're not like IDE drives which make no noise at all. The noise certainly isn't bothersome

Get the drive, it's probably the biggest performance improvement you can do...

I have two 36 gb raptors in raid 0 as my primary array. Very fast.
      TWSites.com - TWSites.com Web Hosting Services
      qan> dock's raw animal magnetism and sheer ability to reboot bot cores inspires lust in all genders :P
      3:wadi> no yawning on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by tahkis
        May I ask you where do you need that?

I mean that's 74GB HD and it costs almost $200 while you can get 200GB SATA drive almost half that price. Even the 36,7GB Raptor is more expensive than 200GB HD. Sick.
        I'd be using it just as a C drive, possibly a RAID 0 in a few months. It's expensive, but I don't need a large storage system, I need a fast one. To me, it's worth spending the money on speed over space if that's what's more important to my needs.

Hey Dock>, it wouldn't be a problem to just buy one now, and convert it to RAID 0 down the road, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
          Hey Dock>, it wouldn't be a problem to just buy one now, and convert it to RAID 0 down the road, right?
          Sure, backup your data, create the array, then install windows on it.
          TWSites.com - TWSites.com Web Hosting Services
          qan> dock's raw animal magnetism and sheer ability to reboot bot cores inspires lust in all genders :P
          3:wadi> no yawning on the internet.

Comment

i got one of them

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got the 74gb a couple weeks ago. I can't believe how great this thing is. Worth every penny.

And it is a bit on the loud side, but I have begun to associate the noise as a function of performance. So when I hear it, it doesn't annoy me. In fact, it's a reminder of how kickass the drive is. It defrags superfast, and loads programs like a mother.

Comment

Working...
              X