this laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this laptop

is this a good laptop for a college student? i dont really need it to play a lot of great games or anything special like that.

Toshiba
    CeleronĀ® M processor 390, 1.7ghz
    80GB 5400RPM hard drive
    15.4" WXGA display
    512MB of DDR2 SDRAM
    DVD SuperMulti drive
    DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW
    ATI RADEONĀ® graphics
    Last edited by Ilya; 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM.
    can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

And how much are you gonna pay for that?
    "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

$699.. 3 year warranty

i know doing a custom one or building one myself and whatnot will be cheaper, but.. im not doin that
      can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

I'd scrap together the other 400 and get a macbook, and I'm not just talking out my ass here, I really would.

You'll go up to a Core Duo Processor, and be able to boot both OS X and Windows as you want/need.

You'll lose some screen size, 13.3" instead of 15.x" but to me, the ability to do both, and do homework or what not without worrying about every virus on earth would be worth it.

Then you just switch to Windows for anything that requires it, like Continuum.

If that seems like too much though I have to advise against Toshiba. My nephew paid like $1000 for a toshiba a couple years back and it's given him nothing but trouble.
        "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Don't ever get Celeron M. The thing doesn't have speedstep, so it'll constantly run at 100% speed which makes it hot thus the fans are always on. The noise is a pain in the ass.
          last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

noted.

thanks for the advice e-pals

Comment

It's decent enough for a student, Ilyaz.
              My dad has got a Toshiba aswell. A little more advanced than the one you are talking about though.
              Differences are the harddisk, it has got 1024MB-Ram, and a few more other things.

Sure the "Centrino" are the newest processors, but a Celeron is just good enough for a student aswell. The noise is a thing that only nerds care about I think. I use the laptop pretty often and I have never noticed it so far actually.
              Sure you have got good-better-best, but I don't think you'll get much better for $699, and for a student .. it's wayyy sufficient.
              TW Web Developer

4:vys> yo
              4:vys> 1 day ill be staff
              4:vys> know it for sure
              4:vys> yo P_L already told me that i'd be ZH one day when deluge is sys op and method owns TW

2:money> zazu got zizu'd when he should have zizzo'd

3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> !tell stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
              3:RoboHelp> Told moth about stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
              3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> oh sht

Comment

Working...
              X