ITT you recommend a decent TV tuner card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITT you recommend a decent TV tuner card

This thread is aimed at Gen Disc, not Tech Support. I'm not looking for specialized help from only 3 nerds, I'm looking for general advice from the average user.

I'm looking for a good all-purpose tv tuner so I can record television programs, or maybe give my PC some DVR/media center FEATURES without actually losing the functionality of a regular PC.

Anyone have any suggestions of something reliable, easy to use, and no more than $150 dollars US?

I've used ATI's All-in-Wonder in the past, though I'm guessing you'd prefer a stand-alone card as opposed to a new graphics card, but I don't expect their TV Wonder cards to be much different. ATI tends to have very good features, though their drivers aren't always bug-free. I've also tried their USB Tuner card. It worked alright on my PC but I couldn't get it to work on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
      I've used ATI's All-in-Wonder in the past, though I'm guessing you'd prefer a stand-alone card as opposed to a new graphics card, but I don't expect their TV Wonder cards to be much different. ATI tends to have very good features, though their drivers aren't always bug-free. I've also tried their USB Tuner card. It worked alright on my PC but I couldn't get it to work on my laptop.
      I'm not opposed to an all-in-wonder. I'm guessing it's a normal gfx card, but also has a tuner? That might be a good solution. I'll check em out later 2day, thanks TK.

I was gonna buy a Hauppagge since they seem to be controling the tuner card market right now, but I just wanna make sure I am open to other suggestions.

Comment

I've used a wide range of Hauppauge cards and USB devices--all work better than the ATI's I've also used. It's not that ATI's work badly, but I think ATI (across the board--TV, graphics, etc) builds shitty drivers and apps.

I've personally used the old WinTV boards (2 of them), a WinTV-PVR-USB2 (currently used with SageTV to pipe TV from my home to my office), a couple WinTV-PVR-500MCEs to build a 4-input DVR for work (have I mentioned that the APIs for using the Hauppauge boards are pretty nice?), and a WinTV-PVR-150 for development work. All of them work pretty well. I've had one of the USBs die on me, but that was because of my own inability to properly power the thing, and Hauppauge was pretty quick about sending me a replacement free of charge.
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

for the love of bejeebus what dos ITT stand for >_>

FOA

ITT

WTF

I'm lost
          My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

For the love of google, google it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang
            last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

I am using the ATI as well, but also using Nero 7 of which is set up to work as a TV tuner. The new Nero 7 is a great addition...I can only wonder what Roxio will do next in the home media dept.

If you have XP Media though, you really would not need Nero 7 as a tuner, or at least I would think not.
              May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

ITT = in this thread?

weaksauce
                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Weaksauce is underrated as a condiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkero
                    For the love of google, google it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang
                    JFGI is what you're supposed to say.

JOOC IYDMMA, why is this thread here when 95% of us don't understand anything about it? If it was about a monitor or keyboard, then ok, but TV tuner cards? Still belongs in tech thread.

JAK/Jazak allah khair.
                    Last edited by RATTY...; 05-18-2006, 10:26 PM.
                    DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                    Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                    Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                    -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

Fair enough.

Moved.
                      Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I bought a Hauppage Tv card not to long ago, but sold it a week later. Watching tv on a Pc monitor isn't the same as watching tv on a tv screen. A pc Monitor tends to show more details which basically means it shows all the extra "snow" that a tv screen normally doesnt show, atleast that was what I expierenced.
                        I only spend 50 euro's though, not the 200+ you could spend...
                        Jason> God said, "Heh, I'm gonna give Eve some nice titties."
                        Dyers eve> God wanted me to have nice titties?
                        Superstar> Yes eve, he does want you to have nice titties. To bad he placed them on the wrong spot. Cup C size balls.

---------------------------------------------------

Greetz Dyers eve

Comment

I'm not buying one to watch tv on a monitor, I'm buying it to use as a video recording device.

Comment

Boy, I'm glad this got moved to Tech Support---the death sentence to non-specific tech questions. Forget that I requested for it to be in gen disc because it was a general question.

Next time, just close the thread, please. It will save us both some frustration.

Comment

Working...
                            X