Router help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router help please

Hi trenchwars community, I have been having fun playing world of warcraft lately. My sister just bought her first computer so I invested in a wireless router and wireless USB adapter for her computer. I got the router connected and I am able to connect to the net (obviously). But when me and my friend hooked it up, he wasnt able to get his girlfriends laptop connected to the internet. So I shrugged it off and we hooked up the wireless adapter to my sisters computer. So linksys has this connection screen, it says I am connected to the access point, BUT it cannot find the internet. Based on this alone is anyone able to tell me the problem?

moved

Comment

Thanks for fucking moving it to death valley.

Comment

hm

Originally posted by Cleve-YB View Post
        '

Language like that wont get you anywhere!

Comment

A large percentage of problems posted in Tech Support get solved. Are you complaining because that might happen to your problem, or that your thread won't get enough readers?

Comment

What type of Linksys router are you using? I assume that you had already gone to the Linksys Support site?

Out of curiosity...it's not the The Linksys Wireless-B router? Reason being is that the only security available currently on this device is WEP.

I still prefer to hard wire the connections to my router.
            May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

me and my friend hooked it up
              Your description doesn't make sense. Maybe you should go to the WoW forums.

Just kidding, TW loves everybody.

But stop playing WoW or we break your legs.

Comment

Its a wireless-g router and it does have WEP security mode. Sorry I can't make any better descriptions I'm still new with all this shit, and I will probably be on Trench Wars on the name nazareth savage, so when I spawn you in elim you know its me :wub:

Comment

my best advice would be hard-wire that shit. wireless just doesnt compare yet.

but as far as troubleshooting this through a forum, not much i can help with without actually seeing it. wireless is bitch like that, too many steps, to many little things to describe.
                  i still use the same cheap ass belkin 4 port router i bought for 20$ in like 04

and btw, i always read new stuff in tech support, some of us are just nice like that
                  Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                  1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                  Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                  caco <ER>> )Oo
                  caco <ER>> bot thief!
                  caco <ER>> duel me for it
                  Evasive <E> no!
                  Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Wireless doesn't compare to what? There's nothing you need on the internet that is faster that a wireless connection.

Ok, fine I'll give it a shot.

Sorry to be blunt but it'll help if you spare us the story and say what works and doesn't. I think you said:
                    You have wireless with WEP.
                    Your computer works wirelessly
                    Sister's computer doesn't work wirelessly?
                    Friend's computer doesn't work wirelessly?
                    Friend's girlfriend's computer doesn't work wirelessly?

So 1 works and 3 don't? Is there 1 USB adapter that you are using on all the computers? None of the laptops have built-in wireless? Are the USB adapter drivers installed? Does Windows say you're connected but you don't get the internet? Or does Windows say you're not connected?

Since at least one computer can connect, the router is working, it's seems it's the individual computers that are not. For any computer that's not working, try connecting with wired Ethernet first (to see that the computer's internet settings are not messed up). If that works try wirelessly. Test it without WEP, then with. Make sure you're typing in the right key.

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot View Post
                      Wireless doesn't compare to what? There's nothing you need on the internet that is faster that a wireless connection.

Ok, fine I'll give it a shot.

Sorry to be blunt but it'll help if you spare us the story and say what works and doesn't. I think you said:
                      You have wireless with WEP.
                      Your computer works wirelessly
                      Sister's computer doesn't work wirelessly?
                      Friend's computer doesn't work wirelessly?
                      Friend's girlfriend's computer doesn't work wirelessly?

So 1 works and 3 don't? Is there 1 USB adapter that you are using on all the computers? None of the laptops have built-in wireless? Are the USB adapter drivers installed? Does Windows say you're connected but you don't get the internet? Or does Windows say you're not connected?

Since at least one computer can connect, the router is working, it's seems it's the individual computers that are not. For any computer that's not working, try connecting with wired Ethernet first (to see that the computer's internet settings are not messed up). If that works try wirelessly. Test it without WEP, then with. Make sure you're typing in the right key.
                      Sorry to drown you with the babys mothers friends mistresses uncles misstress whose got herpes type bullshit.

Heres the thing, we tested it first on my friends girlfriends lap top, it wouldnt work. I said screw it, and hooked up the linksys usb adapter to my sisters computer. I threw in the cd and it said connected to access point, then it says cannot find the internet. The router and usb adapter had identicle names and seemed to be built to match eachother perfectly. Wireless-G adapter and router.

*router is connected to my computer, internet works fine on it.
                      *usb adapter is connected to my sisters computer, internet won't work.
                      *wireless-g adapter and router
                      *WEP security

Edit: checked her computer, windows does say we are connected, it even says the signal strength is "very good"

Comment

Well had similair problem once look for an option on the comp with the router. in the settings.
                        Allow wireless connection Y/N. bet its set to No, thus will show its hooked up but wont allow connection to internet.

But ive got a different kinda router. Just a thought,but fixed mine.

Comment

Edit: checked her computer, windows does say we are connected, it even says the signal strength is "very good"
                          Windows sometimes says you are connected even when the WEP is wrong. Check the WEP or test without WEP.

Check the status (Right-click->Status->Properties->TCP/IP->Properties) and make sure your computer and her computer have similar settings in terms of 1) Assigned by DHCP 2) Obtain DNS server automatically.

Does her computer show anything in Status->Support for IP Address and Default Gateway? Probably not. If not, her computer might be "connected" wirelessly but hasn't gotten an IP from the router yet.

Comment

Aye geek is right i have a linksys router also there are many options that can cause this to be shocking on performance over wireless but it should still work as the produvct is a "Wireless Router".

Ok first thing i would do in your situation is test the mofo without authentification (wep) and see if this works.

Also note sometimes these are not defaulted when they leave the factory and there is a feature to base restrictions or allow using MAC address's if this is enabled only the first hardwired (the pc that first configured the router)mac address will work yet when someone else with a different physical mac address trys to connect to your router they will be denied or restricted.

If you still have problems i would restore to manufactory settings and try again.

i can help further if needed if you have msn mine is ham_waddy@hotmail.com
                            :eek:
                            HTF <ER>> yes because i like 14 year old boys pretending to be female
                            Lance> Here is BCG's song
                            Social Lif> i bet u stole it fron utube >.>
                            HTF <ER>> thats what gets me hot
                            :eek:

Comment

I've seen this before:

Go into Network Connections under Control Panel.
                              Open Properties for your Wireless Connection.
                              Locate TCP/IP, click Properties.
                              Ensure that IP and DNS are set to Automatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X