Semi-Random unexplained reboots/shutdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Random unexplained reboots/shutdowns

Ok i have already posted this in another forum and was unable to find a solution hopefully one of you very smart people can figure it out.

Originally posted by Kaos00
    Ok this will be the second thread on this topic. (first having been locked due to my inattentiveness)

Ok so here is the original problem post:

Quote:Originally posted by: Kaos00
    Ok so here is the deal, im hoping someone can tell what the hell is going on.
    I just recently upgraded my computer and below is a list of exactly what it has:
    Intel core 2 duo 6400 processor
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard
    OCZ DDR2 2GB Dual Channel (gold edition or something close)
    OCZ 600 or 650 Watt power supply, Cant remember which
    Nvidia GeForce 7600 Gs (soon to be upgraded to 8800)
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (the one with the cd bay attachment)
    Optorite Dvd-r/rw drive
    3 case fans, One on the side 2 on the back all but side are exhaust
    (side is exhaust as there is no room for a front fan.
    Windows Xp x64 edition (legal)
    Ok so the problem started a couple days after doing the upgrade. I had just gotten my 24" dell and wanted to see how F.E.A.R. looked. So i busted out the cd and popped it in. Install started out fine until the arch.00 then it froze up, and bam the computer reboots. I did later find out that the arch.00 in question had become corrupt due to a scratch. So i decided to download an iso and mount it in daemon tools. installs fine all the way through. Boot up the game and bam it reboots. So i say well maybe it doesn't like fear, so i tried far cry, same thing boot up the game and reboot.

Second problem, i was playing music with Winamp through the creative card and i closed the disc tray. the audio stopped playing, well was still playing but wasn't coming out speakers. I hit stop then play and its fine.

Third problem, now whenever i close the disc tray with ANY disk in the computer will reboot. There are no warning for these reboots they are instantaneous. So if anyone has any ideas at all i would be happy to hear them.

I thought i had solved the problem by replacing my dvd drive as it has been acting up for a while. Well i was wrong I can now actually boot up and play both Fear and Farcry but the computer will still reboot when i insert the disk. I thought it might be bios/raid driver issue as my raid software gives an error report every time windows boots. So i downloaded the bios update tool and went to but in a floppy to boot from and half way in my computer shut down, didn't restart. I tried to power back on several times but it kept powering off immediately after the windows loading screen. It Finally came back on after i turned off the power supply for a few seconds.

So my new question is, could this be either a motherboard driver and or bios issue or a power supply issue, or to test my bad luck, a little of both?
    I have since tested the power supply with a multimeter and it is fine. I have also tried removing my creative sound card and no improvement. So to recap at the moment it is only doing it when i close my dvd drive not my cd drive when a disk is in it
    "Interesting how?"
    "Oh god oh god, we're all gonna die?!"

Splendid! This calls for a sexy party!

honestly, update your bios, u need to flash the bios, i had the same problem when upgrading my pc a month or two ago, its not the same stuff but same problems, u need to update the bios :P do it and all should be well

NEVERMIND I SHOULD HAVE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH LOL
    Last edited by Money; 01-26-2007, 03:12 AM. Reason: NEVERMIND I SHOULD HAVE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH LOL

Comment

when thigs go that crazy on me, i always start pullin cards. like the soundcard was a good start, then try your network card, everything (including cd\dvd roms) untill your down to mobo and pwr supply. and if its still actin up try a diff hard drive and a fresh install. if it still sux, you have urself a bad mobo. (since u tested pwr)

this was if at any point it does work, youll know what it was too
      Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
      1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
      Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
      caco <ER>> )Oo
      caco <ER>> bot thief!
      caco <ER>> duel me for it
      Evasive <E> no!
      Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Working...
      X