Power Supply for new GFX card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply for new GFX card

I'm looking to buy a Geforce 8800 GTS 320 mb graphics card for the comp I have in mind to buy next week, but the thing is the comp will come with a 300 W power supply whereas the card requires a 400 W minimum, and not only that, but some other technical aspect I don't get -

(A minimum 400W system power supply with 12V current rating of 26A is required)

What is the 12 v current rating of 25A part mean?

So far I've been browsing the cheap stuff on newegg.com, but a lot of it seems pretty flakey; I've found the cheapest seemingly stable one so far on there, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182021 , but I don't know if it meets the 12v and 25A requirements. Perhaps someone can help me, and show me how I can tell if it does meet the requirements or not. Thanks in advance.

EDIT - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817162017 might be a better solution though..for some extra power and same price and it looks like it may be more compatible with my requirements
    Last edited by Sirius; 04-21-2007, 12:09 AM.
    Trench Wars' # 1 Solo WB

TWEL WB Season 1 '03 Champ
    1st Annual WB Tournament '04 Champ
    2nd Annual WB Tournament '05 Champ
    Elim King '03-'11

Sirius> Raspi I want to explore this fetish of yours
    Raspi> AAAHHH THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING!!!! sirius> finally... raspi> unhhhhhunhunh

First one's current at 12V is 27A, which means you should be good to go with it unless I'm missing something.

Second one is only 24A at 12V, not enough current.
    Originally posted by Tone
    It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
    Originally posted by the_paul
    Gargle battery acid fuckface
    Originally posted by Material Girl
    I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

if the card requires at least a 400w psu then id go out of my way to make sure i bought at least a 600w psu

Comment

Yeah, a little extra breathing room never hurts.
        Originally posted by Tone
        It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
        Originally posted by the_paul
        Gargle battery acid fuckface
        Originally posted by Material Girl
        I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
          if the card requires at least a 400w psu then id go out of my way to make sure i bought at least a 600w psu
          Perhaps if you are going to buy some cheapest piece of crap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103939
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151024 (or the 430W version)
          megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
          L K> taught u what?
          megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
          9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
          9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

Yea, antec and seasonic are both pretty reputable manufacturers of PSU's. Don't get a flakey power supply, you're asking for problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tahkis View Post
              Perhaps if you are going to buy some cheapest piece of crap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103939
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151024 (or the 430W version)
              yea that must be it, go ahead an bottleneck it newb

Comment

Just installed a new Thermaltake Power Supply on a system at work & it has to be one of the most quiet PS's I have used. It's an Antec ready 600W ( part number - W0144).

newegg sells these too.

Nothing special in this post...just a nice power supply that does not sound like a plane taking off. Very very quiet!

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that the Graphic Card I am running on this system is an EVGA eGforce 7950GT KO.
                Last edited by 404 Not Found; 04-26-2007, 04:43 PM.
                May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Well I got the comp and installed the graphics card and power supply a few days ago. Seems to run fine and is pretty quiet (I got the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182017 Rosewill 550 W power supply for 55 $)

Play stuff like Command & Conquer 3 at all max settings without any lag at all and power supply seems to handle pretty decently

Though subspace (maybe a vista issue) seems to have its graphics stick and make weird slides across the whole screen, haven't looked into it yet
                  Trench Wars' # 1 Solo WB

Elim King '03-'11

Raspi> AAAHHH THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING!!!! sirius> finally... raspi> unhhhhhunhunh

Comment

Originally posted by Sirius View Post
                    Though subspace (maybe a vista issue) seems to have its graphics stick and make weird slides across the whole screen, haven't looked into it yet
                    I have the same video card (except 640mb version) and I too was having those SS graphics glitches (in both XP and Vista)... the best alternative was to use the "software emulation" setting in advanced options.

Recently I installed the latest nvidia 8800 drivers for XP and the SS graphics seem to be working fine now with hardware acceleration, but I haven't yet logged onto my vista partition to test out if the latest nvidia vista drivers have the vista glitches fixed too.
                    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Comment

Speaking of partitions, it sounds like you have a dual boot thing going on? That was one of the options presented to me when I felt like installing xp pro over Vista granted it's incompatibility with games etc; but I don't feel like paying to get it done and would rather find out how I can do that myself

And it would be easier than having one system or the other
                      Trench Wars' # 1 Solo WB

Elim King '03-'11

Comment

Working...
                      X