Any first hand experiences with Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any first hand experiences with Ubuntu

This weekend or so I'm planning to go for a clean install of Windows. Right now using Home, but I'll be wiping it for Professional.

Punch: I also want to dual boot with Ubuntu.

Keep in mind I don't know how to use PartitionMagic.
    Does anyone have any tips or things that I should expect to go wrong / how to fix them?

There are innumerable amounts of guides on teh intarwebz, but if you have a good one (that you might have used?), link it if possible.
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Originally posted by Edify View Post
    This weekend or so I'm planning to go for a clean install of Windows. Right now using Home, but I'll be wiping it for Professional.

Punch: I also want to dual boot with Ubuntu.

Keep in mind I don't know how to use PartitionMagic.
    Does anyone have any tips or things that I should expect to go wrong / how to fix them?

There are innumerable amounts of guides on teh intarwebz, but if you have a good one (that you might have used?), link it if possible.
    i was going to do this

then i did it halfed assed and my computer is riffled with problems cuase i didn't back up all my drivers only some hahaha like motherboard which was a good thing as after reinstall it didn't recognise it's ethernet card so needed that to get the internet to download other drivers, though i could have used my flatmates computer it would been a pain in the ass.

had an unrecognised device for a few days, turns out acpi ><

i was going to do the duel boot thing but then thought i'd never really boot up into ubuntu cause i want to play a game or something on a whim.

also i downloaded it and created a cd you can boot into ubuntu anyway. i tried it out and it seems good.

i dunno alot about it, you can bootstrap it or i think you can put it on a different hard drive so you can boot into it by changeing the boot order, if you have 2 hard drives.

so not very helpfull :P but back up your drivers and try booting into ubuntu of a cd to see what you think of it before you try,
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Comment

What you're talking about is the Live CD, I've tried it several times already. It doesn't save anything though, so when you reuse it you have to reenter everything (passwords, GAIM, MSN crap).

Hum thanks anyway
      thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

I have a dual boot machine

I recently set up an XP/Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot installation on an old computer. I used this guide:

http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu

There's not much to it though. Install XP first (XP likes to think it's the only operating system installed) and let it create one big partition spanning the whole drive. Then, before doing too much in XP (like updates), install Ubuntu and the GNOME Partition Manager will prompt you to resize your partitions--the options are quite simple. You just slide a little bar to say how much space to allocate to your Ubuntu partition. Afterwards you need to edit one text file to tell the GRUB Boot Loader which OS to default to, how long to wait, etc. That's in the guide.

Comment

Installing Ubuntu is easy enough not to require a guide nowadays. If you already have windows installed, just pop in the Ubuntu Live CD, click on the icon to install it, and it will guide you through partitioning your hard drive so that you can dual boot using grub (or you can wipe the thing and just put Ubuntu on it, your choice).
          -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Blocks View Post
            I recently set up an XP/Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot installation on an old computer. I used this guide:

http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu

There's not much to it though. Install XP first (XP likes to think it's the only operating system installed) and let it create one big partition spanning the whole drive. Then, before doing too much in XP (like updates), install Ubuntu and the GNOME Partition Manager will prompt you to resize your partitions--the options are quite simple. You just slide a little bar to say how much space to allocate to your Ubuntu partition. Afterwards you need to edit one text file to tell the GRUB Boot Loader which OS to default to, how long to wait, etc. That's in the guide.
            Wow thanks for the post.

Uhh I have a 200GB hdd, so should I allocate say 50gigs to Ubuntu? Also I read something about Linux using FAT32 rather than NTFS. Planning to do it this week, we'll see.
            thread killer

Comment

Apparantly if you install GRUB, the only way to uninstall Ubuntu afterwards would be to reformat.

Also, ATI cards seem to be a bitch with it, I never could get dual screen working.

Comment

Originally posted by Superted View Post
                Apparantly if you install GRUB, the only way to uninstall Ubuntu afterwards would be to reformat.
                In case of a dual boot setup you can restore Windows' master boot records with a simple command from the install cd or a program from the internet, and then resize the Windows partition to take over the allocated Linux partition with PartitionMagic (process takes no more than a few seconds). This takes you back to the almost exact state where only Windows was installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Superted View Post

Also, ATI cards seem to be a bitch with it, I never could get dual screen working.
                  7.10 is waaay more ATI-friendly.
                  NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                    7.10 is waaay more ATI-friendly.
                    Not enough, I spent hours in xorg.conf with no satisfactory results... perhaps it's just a result of my own inadequacies.

Comment

Superted!

Comment

No one can kill you!

Comment

Originally posted by Edify View Post
                          Wow thanks for the post.

Uhh I have a 200GB hdd, so should I allocate say 50gigs to Ubuntu? Also I read something about Linux using FAT32 rather than NTFS. Planning to do it this week, we'll see.
                          You're welcome. 50 gigs is more than enough for Ubuntu -- the install is only something like 2-3 gigs (?), so the decision should be made on how much software you're going to install.

I think Ubuntu makes three partitions, with two being small and one large, and the large one is where everything goes and it's formatted with the ext3 filesystem.

Comment

Working...
                          X