Budget Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Graphics Cards

I'm looking to buy a video/graphics card which is probably less than, say 40-50 bucks. Do such things exist? I know gfx cards are an investment as you only need to buy them once, but man, I'm getting tired of my computer whirring up so much just to play low-end games like Subspace or Starcraft, and am looking for a budget alternative.

Some specs:
    Intel P4 Processor 530 Hyper-Threading 3.0gHz, 800mHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
    1 GB DDR Dual Channel Memory
    200 GB SATA HD
    Intel Media Graphics Accelerator 900 (sounds cool, eh? FALSE.)
    PCI express slot

Uh yeah, so it's your decent machine except for the low-end graphics.

Things I need to take into consideration? Like power supply? The card having a built in fan? I don't really know.
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

you wont find a PCI-E card for that price sry

if you want to game much at all expect to spend between 100-150$ minimum
    Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
    1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
    Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
    caco <ER>> )Oo
    caco <ER>> bot thief!
    caco <ER>> duel me for it
    Evasive <E> no!
    Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

E B A Y
      OBama/Biden 08

Comment

NEWEGG.COM is the best place to get anything computer related, for video cards 50-75$ you can definately get a decent 256 or even 512 mb card, i have a 128 and it works fine for most any game except the brand new ones. try this link to get started...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=%2450+-+%2475

Comment

wow wtf? prices have dropped like a mofo since i bought mine like 3 months ago

disregard my earlier post
          Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
          1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
          Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
          caco <ER>> )Oo
          caco <ER>> bot thief!
          caco <ER>> duel me for it
          Evasive <E> no!
          Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

For that you can probably get something like 256 mb 8400 gs
            http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
              For that you can probably get something like 256 mb 8400 gs
              http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS
              ... Which is hell of a lot worse than an older card such as the ATI X1650XT which is on Newegg for $5 more. Sure the 8400 might have "directx 10 support". But my 8800GTS struggles to run new games in DX10 mode, the 8400 has no chance.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...d-ranking.html has a compiled list of all but the most very recent cards listed by how "good" they are. It's quite a subjective and opinionated list, but many people have contributed so it should be fairly accurate.

Also, check out places like eBay cause the current range of mid-top end graphics cards are pretty cheap (for people on a mid-budget), meaning a lot of people are upgrading and selling their decent older cards at rock bottom prices.

Something to remember:
              Midhigh - high end cards from one generation will generally be significantly better than a low end card from the next (and sometimes the next after that) generation. Prices don't always reflect this.

Anyway, happy shopping.
              Last edited by Ewan; 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM.
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Thanks for the help, people. I'll keep my eyes open.
                thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

garbage can video cards you find on dumpster night when everyone throws out all their junk
                  it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

mmmm free shipping this week

http://ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic...600PFV&eq=&Tp=

ATI RADEON 256MB X600 PRO PCIE VIDEO VGA, DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT
                    Howzat? Quite a bargain. Now, to pass this off as a requirement for homework.. j/k.
                    thread killer

Comment

If you don't plan on playing any "recent" games, the 8400gs would be an excellent choice since it'll still be able to play "older" games like Half-Life 2 quite well. Radeon X1650XT would probably have a little more raw 3D power, but there is another advantage the 8400gs has that older cards like the X1650XT do not have:

This advantage is that the 8400gs uses the PureVideo HD chip for video acceleration (such as mpeg-2, blu-ray, etc.) and this chip happens to be even better than the "PureVideo 2" chip on the 8800GTS and GTX. The PureVideo HD is the same chip that nvidia is putting on the other newer 8-series cards as well.

Evga Geforce 8400gs for $34.99 after rebate!
                      (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130288)

I have an 8400gs in my HTPC and it's doing an excellent job (but then again I don't game on that pc). My main pc has an 8800GT which I absolutely love
                      CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Comment

Yeah, I concede from what I have read about the 8400, it's a good card if you're planning on watching HD Video rather than gaming.
                        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                        ---A few minutes later---
                        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                        9:Kim> UM
                        9:Kim> i didn't
                        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Working...
                        X