i lag out :( why !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i lag out :( why !

So I was lagging out but only in TWD pretty much (though I’ll mention the ?go base lagg out too) and i’m not happy about that

I think I’ve a few multiple problems but i’ve little idea about this sort of thing so I was wondering if there was any programs or such that could help stabilise my connection or at least some commands to be able to tell if I can play or if I’m just fucked.

OK so I’ve lagged out due to high spike medium and also yesterday a spike count 8 which was over the limit 6 in twbd

My ?lag seems fine so is there anyway I can see my spike medium or count to allow me to know if I can TWD or not ?? rather than be added then lagg out a while later

Is there any programs or anything that can offer a less spikey connection? A way to prioritise conituum client giving it dedicated band width or buffer it or anything?

I currently live in a flat and share the internet with my flatmate via a router . We aren’t networked. It’s a cable modem and a 4 mb line we pay half each but it’s in his name.

However the company has a *traffic management* system so if you download a certain amount during peak time of the day it is set a 1mb line with a 128kb upload for 5 hours , though in practise this seems like certain abmount in 24 hours and limited for longer than 5 hours

All my flatmate does is use torrents, and surf the web. He wants to be running torrents all the time but when that traffic management kicks in the other person can’t even use the web if torrents are running high and he’s agreed to not download then. Every day we get traffic managed about the time I get home from work.

On another note is there anyway I can see if he’s downloading or not? I’ve been asking him when I lag out but I think that is annoying him as he wants to be downloading and I’m asking him if he is when he’s not. I can’t see a traffic monitor option on the router or anything but it may have one.

Our router is apparently not very good, it offers a crappy QoS – I tried and failed to set up a port that contiuum uses as high (only high or low option) but I don’t think it matters anyway since my flatmate factory resets the router as a first option without letting me know :s but the QoS it offers seems more of an addon and I’ve noticed no difference anyhow.

He says he isn’t downloading when I lag out but has firefox running but not using it.

Any advice?

Thanks
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

From my experience uploads cause way more problems than downloads.
    My flatmates (all as computer new as a caveman) happen to know all the download programs, but lack the computer skills to use them properly.
    I've been asking em for a full month if they were downloading all the time since my connection basically had 30% ploss and was mad slow. They kept answering me they didn't download or anything of the like. I even frigging replaced the cabling! Found out later they all had torrents and p2p clients on all the time that would literally use the upload limit all time, they didn't even know it was running

You might ask you flatmate to keep his uploads to a minimum in terms of speed, and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: You can put new firmware on a lot of routers so they have a better QoS, might be worth to google some computernerd forums that happen to discuss your router.
    "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

cheers singularity

when we first moved in i checked his pc (while showing him) for spyware and background stuff that would be uploading and he didn't have any.

He knows about the uploading as he likes (as i do) to keep at least a 1 ratio in file sharing and complains because our 4 mb line is hevily weighted in the download bandwith.

he sees it like a carrot on a string in front of a donkey, always chasing it. When i've gone home for a day over the weekend he has unplugged the router and plugs in directly to the modem to "get better speeds" which is quite annoying as when i get back i have to spend about 1/2 hour rebooting the modem / router and my pc to just get online
      In my world,
      I am King

sigpic

Comment

Guess you know what is causing it then. During that "limit" time, uploading at 15 kB/s uses up the entire bandwith. I can imagine that an upload of 50 kB/s at peak times does the same. The 15 kB/s is nothing, I can assure you, and will totally make the connection unusable for even webbrowsing when your flatmate is uploading. Ask him to limit it to 3 kB/s when limited and about 15 kB/s at prime or so, you will probably see an immediate improvement.
        If he whines about it, let him pay more for the internet, as he is the only one that is able to use it when doing it like this.

Edit, you also don't need to reboot your pc usually, go to run menu and type CMD. Here, type ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew. Works well for me most of the times.
        "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Singularity View Post
          Guess you know what is causing it then. During that "limit" time, uploading at 15 kB/s uses up the entire bandwith. I can imagine that an upload of 50 kB/s at peak times does the same. The 15 kB/s is nothing, I can assure you, and will totally make the connection unusable for even webbrowsing when your flatmate is uploading. Ask him to limit it to 3 kB/s when limited and about 15 kB/s at prime or so, you will probably see an immediate improvement.
          If he whines about it, let him pay more for the internet, as he is the only one that is able to use it when doing it like this.

Edit, you also don't need to reboot your pc usually, go to run menu and type CMD. Here, type ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew. Works well for me most of the times.
          but during that limit he says he isn't running torrents only firefox and not even actively browsing and i still lag out

surely 15 kB/s upload should be enought to play this game :S
          In my world,
          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop View Post
            When i've gone home for a day over the weekend he has unplugged the router and plugs in directly to the modem to "get better speeds" which is quite annoying as when i get back i have to spend about 1/2 hour rebooting the modem / router and my pc to just get online
            rofl, that sucks though i hope my future college roomate doesn't act like that.
            4:BigKing> xD
            4:Best> i'm leaving chat
            4:BigKing> what did i do???
            4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
            4:BigKing> ???? why though
            4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
            4:BigKing> xD

Comment

What is the brand and type of your router? Let's start with that.
              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

the router is a linksys BEFSR41
                In my world,
                I am King

sigpic

Comment

I had that for years without realizing, turns out i needed a new modem. Should try that if you haven't.

Comment

You might just be unlucky, on this connection I had a period where I couldn't play TWDD/JD or Tourney because of Spike med. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way to check your spikes short of just getting specced by the bots in TWD games.

The only thing I can think of is plugging yourself straight into the modem. Although this won't give you "better speeds", it will let you know if it's a local problem (e.g. roommate uploading, shitty router) or a problem downstream (e.g. ISP end, nothing you can do about it).
                    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                    ---A few minutes later---
                    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                    9:Kim> UM
                    9:Kim> i didn't
                    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Working...
                    X